The Purge: Election Year (DVD)

The Purge: Election Year (DVD)

Review of "The Purge: Election Year (DVD)"

published 16/07/2017 | Sparky43352
Member since : 12/10/2015
Pro brilliant story, amazing movie overall
Cons not very good characters
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"The Purge: Election Year Review"

THE PURGE: ELECTION YEAR

Stars: Elizabeth Mitchell and Frank Grillo
Director: James DeMonaco
Genre: Horror/Action
Run Time: 109 minutes
Certificate: 15
Budget: 10 million

Story

Charlie Roan (Elizabeth Mitchell) is a survivor of the purge and was forced to watch her family being killed on the traditional night where all crime is legal. Inspired by her past, Roan decides to run for president 18 years later to follow her aim to end the purge once and for all. The story begins when Roan's security is betrayed as members of the opposing party attempt to break in and kill her, forcing her to leave home and be hunted on the streets on the night of the purge with the one bodyguard she can trust, Leo (Frank Grillo) who almost done something he regretted on purge night and believes in her aim to end the purge.
Cast

Leo/Sergeant - Frank Grillo
Charlie Roan/Senator - Elizabeth Mitchell
Joe Dixon - Mykelti Williamson
Marcos - Joseph Julian Soria
Laney Rucker - Betty Gabriel

Suitable?

I would say this movie is suitable for anyone over the age of 14. There is some gore which sounds worse than it actually is. There is a head cut off by a gilotine which doesn't really show anything because it's from afar. A man has to dig out a bullet from his shoulder which is in my opinion the goriest part. There is also loads of violence on the other hand which is encouraged by the government which is the premise of all of the movies in the Purge franchise. There are the use of guns, blades, chainsaws and more weapons.

My Opinion

I really enjoyed this film, I thought it outdone the last two movies and it should have gotten higher rating reviews. I thought the story was fantastic but felt a bit too real with all the recent events that were happening but I was impressed that it could actually make you fell that way. It was interesting, I was on edge the entire time. I thought it was fascinating how in the first movie, it experienced a family under lockdown; in the second one it showed you the purge from the perspective of people who aren't so lucky to be on lockdown and be safe; and in this one it experiences the purge from the point of view of a political candidate and how it was to be on lockdown and being protected but then being betrayed and I thought this was a very fascinating edition. I don't actually feel like it deals with other groups such as low income and I think it would have been good to see some characters from this background.

One things that I didn't like about the movie was that it vilified white people in a way, because there is no good white person in the movie apart from Senator and Leo but even at times they seem very rude and ignorant. The heroes in the movie are Dixon and Laney and of course Marcos which I think makes a great change that ethnic minorities are really shown in depth here and are probably the kindest people in the movie. Laney, for example, patrols the streets on purge night helping any injured people as hospital services are disabled on purge night. Her and Dixon also run an underground hospital helping wounded people. Dixon and Marcos also save Leo and Senator from being killed withing the first half hour. I definitely think the masked purgers done a fantastic job though. Brittany Mirabile was amazing in this movie and really made you hate her character which I think takes a lot of work to do and I thought she done a really good job.

The special effects were really good. there was some good gore, some drones and really cool masks. The thing I really enjoyed about the movie in terms of props and special effects was the car with Christmas lights all over it, I thought it looked really cool.

The only song I really remember in the soundtrack is the American Anthem which they sing when commencing the purge I believe. I do however think this symbolises a lot as the founding fathers supposedly encourage and believe in purging and believe that it purifies people, so the song is sung because the citizens believe they are making the founding fathers and their government proud.

I'm sure you can buy this movie for around £7 but I'd say it was worth it. I thought the concept was really good alike all the other Purge movies. I think it's different from all DeMonaco's other films but it stands out the most because it's so unique, in my opinion.

Thank you for reading, if this review helped you please rate or comment what I could do to improve future reviews. Thank you.

• justarube published 18/07/2017
    VH
  • kiss_me2070 published 17/07/2017
    Good review. Not sure if I have seen this or not.
  • 1st2thebar published 17/07/2017
    Decent advice below. One way traffic in regards to rates is unfair.

offers "The Purge: Election Year (DVD)"