The Sanctuary Trim & Tone Body Wrap Set

The Sanctuary Trim & Tone Body Wrap Set

Review of "The Sanctuary Trim & Tone Body Wrap Set"

published 28/10/2011 | labellavita1992
Member since : 02/03/2011
University graduate. Beauty, Fashion and Lifestyle blogger. www.ofbeautyandnothingness.co.uk
Satisfactory
Pro Fairly easy to apply, nice neat set, did take about 3cm or so off my thighs, let my skin smooth
Cons Very messy, the clay doesn't smell nice, the bandages are very tight and extremely uncomfortable

"The Sanctuary Trim and Tone Body Wrap!"

Sanctuary Trim & Tone Body Wrap Set

Sanctuary Trim & Tone Body Wrap Set

The Sanctuary Spa Trim & Tone Body Wrap Set

I bought this product set a few days before my holiday (a last minute dash to boots was in order) as I had heard a lot of really good things about this set, so I thought I would try it out. I adore sanctuary products and most of them that I have used worked really well for me so I thought this would be the same. I only bought this product to tone up slightly before holiday, as I would not consider myself in need to lose quite a lot of centimeters - I am 5 foot and 6 and a half stone so this product was only bought to tone.

- About the product, the Sanctuary description and ingredient list

This set comes with the body clay, which is in large tub containing 475g or 16.75 oz of product. The other items in the set include: a tape measure, a booklet with a table in which to write measurements in, four long fabric ‘bandages’ and an exfoliating mitt. There is also an instruction leaflet and everything is contained in a neat zipped, fairly large, bag.

The sanctuary description of the product is as follows: “Tone up ‘problem areas’ with this detoxifying clay wrap. The purified clay has been infused with a complex of natural ingredients that have been shown to help detoxification and firming by encouraging collagen synthesis. Massaging the clay over the chosen area assists circulation and natural drainage, while extra-wide cotton bandages are designed to enable easy wrapping at home and are tightly ribbed to give an instant toning and slimming effect. After just one hour unwrap your figure, shower and enjoy slipping into your most daring outfit” Sanctuary UK site

“Kaolin, Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Alcohol denat., Bentonite, Polysorbate 20, Talc, Sphacelaria scoparia extract, Dipropylene glycol, Xanthan gum, Disodium EDTA, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.”

- Initial thoughts on the product

Before I bought this product I did have doubts of its capabilities, how well it would work and how long the potential results would last for. The price of the set also made me more hesitant about buying the set, as it is not really cheap and if it didn’t work then the money will obviously be wasted. On the sanctuary site it states that it is the best body wrap and that there could be a potential 19cm loss (a cumulative total from a few areas) so I bought it to try out.

- Using the product

Before using the product I read the instructions carefully and the instruction booklet is easy to read and it is also easy to follow. The instruction booklet takes you through the five step process using text and also clear images/diagrams, the booklet is so easy to read and follow. I unpacked the set and started measuring - as there is a section on the back of the booklet for measurements before and after the treatment to see if it has made any difference - there is a section for arms, thighs and stomach. I used this product only on my tights as that is the area that I am not very confident about and also as I was going on holiday the day after I used this I wanted to be a bit more toned for when I am wearing my denim short shorts!

I measured the circumference of my tights and noted the measurements down in the booklet (you have to write down three measurements for each area, to get a more accurate overall measurement of the area I think). I then used the exfoliating mitt - of loofah mitt, as they call it - to exfoliate my skin making it smooth for the clay application. I found the exfoliating mitt really abrasive and harsh on my skin, too harsh and painful for me to actually use, so I ended up using my sanctuary long handled body brush instead. I would recommend exfoliating before you do this as the mitt is not very nice to use at all. You could use an exfoliator in the shower/bath such as: Buffy from Lush or the body buff from soap and glory, both of which would be really good to use as a replacement exfoliator for the mitt provided in this set.

After I have measured and exfoliated it is time to apply the body clay. The body clay is a light grey colour, it has a really smooth texture and a very thick consistency. It does have the scent of clay which is not very strong but personally I really don’t like the scent of the clay. The body clay tub has a lot of information on it about the effects that can be achieved with the product and about the trials using this clay - I think it would be better to print a short version of the instructions on the tub instead of the propaganda (seen as though you have obviously already bought the product) as you don’t really have any other instructions if you loose the booklet or destroy it by spilling the clay on it!

Before applying the clay, in the instructions I says to soak the bandages in warm water while you apply the clay, do not unravel the bandages though - I found that keeping the bandages tight and not letting them unravel as I removed them from the set a bit difficult. I then applied the clay to my skin (which is clean, dry and exfoliated) this was not very comfortable as the clay is quite cold and it does have a bit of a slimey/gloopy texture, when being applied to the skin. I applied the clay quite thickly to the chosen area and it was fairly easy to do - although this product is quite messy in my experience, with the smooth texture of the clay making it slip off my skin quite a few times and end up splattered on the floor like some form of modern art. As this process was really quite messy I would recommend having a towel handy to clean up the clay that will go on the floor and I would also recommend applying the clay in your bathroom where the floor (and the surrounding area...) can be easily wiped clean.

After applying the clay thickly to my skin I then removed the bandages from the sink in which they had been soaking in and started wrapping them around my thighs. I first started wrapping one of the bandages the wrong way around so I had to start again and then once it is wrapped around tightly you just press the velcro end of the ‘bandage’ down to secure it. The bandages were a lot longer than I expected them to be and it did take a little while to wrap them around - also the bandages unraveled while I was wrapping them around which made them even more time consuming to wrap around. I repeated this process with the other leg and afterwards I did start to feel a bit like an Egyptian mummy! With both of my tights wrapped up in the elasticated fabric wrappings I did initially feel a bit sorry for the Egyptian queens, Pharaohs and aristocracy for being wrapped up like this - although they would be dead when this was happening so I would consider them lucky!

- A waiting game...

The bandages at first felt really weird and they did feel even tighter than my super skinny jeans! So worrying that I may be reducing the circulation to my legs I loosened the bandages death grip on my thighs and it then felt a bit more comfortable. Although that statement is an oxymoron as having these bandages on and being at all comfortable is just impossible. While waiting for the bandages and the clay to work their magic, I cleaned up the spatters of clay on the floor and I removed the remaining two bandages from the sink, as I only needed two of them - not all four that are provided. I then tried to relax with the tight, wet, cold bandages on but it was not happening at all! Resisting the urge to remove them and have another shower I kept the bandages on and kept reminding myself that I am going to be wearing shorts in a day or so and also that I payed about £25 for this set!

I left the bandages on for a little bit over the hour time frame they suggest and I found that reading a book on my kindle did take my mind off how uncomfortable my legs felt. I then removed the bandages, which was the best point in this whole process so far and I wiped off what little remained of the body clay. I did not notice any immediate difference of my skin which did not make me very optimistic for the second set of measurements...

- The all important results!

Using the tape measure again I measured roughly the same points I did before I started this process and I found that this product did seem to work. I noticed a decrease of about 1.5cm on each thigh - which is what I was looking for as my tights are not big anyway. I was pleased with the just over a 2 to 3 cm loss in total. I think that if I had not loosened the bandages while they were on, I may have lost even more and also I think I used a little too much clay.

Overall as a result, my skin felt very smooth, soft and well exfoliated. I lost a total of about 3cm or so off my thighs - which does not sound like a lot but I think it is and it made my skin feel tighter/firmer. Through out my week long cruise in which I wore shorts nearly every day I found that my skin remained quite tight and a lot more toned and the effects seemed to last for the length of the holiday, which is what I wanted from this product.

- Additional information and some of my tips on using this product from my experience

During and after using this product I did not experience any rashes, itching or any other forms of irritation - the product also did not dry my skin out. With regards to the bandages, after using them I did not have time to let them dry out fully before I stored them in the container that everything came in - and after about a month or so of being left in the bag the bandages (which were not fully dry) did start to collect a bit of mould - so I will not be using them again, not that I would use them again if they were squeaky clean!

Some of my tips of using this product: firstly I would use this when you have a good two to three hours to spare, so that you do not get caught in the not so hot Egyptian mummy look! I would have a sink close by, a flannel to tidy up the edges of the clay if you have gone over the line of the bandages and I would wear clothing/dressing gown that you don’t mind throwing away afterwards - I didn’t want the messy task of cleaning up my old dressing gown after getting the clay all over it. And finally I would get a good book or another distraction as you will need it to distract you from how uncomfortable the bandages and the clay feel.

- Overall positives

The overall positive points in my opinion are as follows: the set comes with everything you need and it is all packed away nicely in the zip up bag. You can re-use some of the other items, such as the tape measure, and also the zip up bag. The instruction booklet is great! The process was fairly easy and I did actually experience good results - I lost a total of 3cm or so off my thighs! This process also left my skin very smooth, soft and exfoliated.

- Overall negatives

The overall negative points in my opinion are as follows: the clay does not smell very nice, to me any way and it is messy to apply as it does slip off and go onto the floor. The bandages are a little time consuming to wrap around the area and they are very tight! The combination of the slimy, wet clay and the tight Egyptian mummy like bandages makes for a very, very uncomfortable hour! The final result was not a massive difference and the results only seemed to last for a week but that it exactly what I wanted from this product, as it was just for my holiday. The mitt provided is very harsh on my skin and I could not use it as it was quite painful. The bandages do not dry out quickly (leading to mould if you forget about them like I did) and the set is a little bit pricey, in my opinion.

- Price and availability

I bought this set from boots, so I did get some advantage card points (this is the only positive point about the price) and it cost me a little bit over £25, which I think is a little bit expensive, although you do get a lot of items in the set. This et can also be bought from the sanctuary UK site (link below) for £25.52.

Conclusions

Positives
  • It did take a few centimeters off my thighs and made my thighs more toned and tighter/firmer
  • Comes in a nice neat, well presented set and the products seem to be made to a very high standard
  • Some natural ingredients and no irritation was experienced
  • Left my skin smooth, soft and exfoliated
  • Fairly easy process and one tub will last for a few applications
  • I can use the clear bag everything came in and the tape measure for other things

Negatives
  • Applying the clay was really quite messy with it slipping out of my hands and off my thighs and going on the floor
  • The scent of the clay is not very nice in my opinion and it is not very pleasant to apply due to the slightly slimy texture
  • The bandages were really tight, even when I loosened them a bit
  • Having the clay and the bandages on for an hour or so was very uncomfortable and not an experience I want to have again!
  • A little bit pricy
  • The bandages do not dry out quickly
  • The loofah/exfoliating mitt was very harsh on my skin - so I had to use another product

Thank you for reading my review this review will also be posted on dooyoo under my username tigger1992x

• Coloneljohn published 04/11/2011
    An excellent review. John
  • Saintly31 published 02/11/2011
    Fantastic review deserves an E
  • 80smusicreviewer published 02/11/2011
    Great review as always. E.