The Sanctuary Warming Charcoal Detox Mask

The Sanctuary Warming Charcoal Detox Mask

Muds & Masks

Review of "The Sanctuary Warming Charcoal Detox Mask"

published 14/01/2005 | supersexycoolchick
Member since : 16/09/2002
Pro Easy to put on and take off, leaves skin noticable softer and smoother
Cons May irritate some poeples skin
Effects

"A Five Minute Miracle for your Face"

Sachets

Sachets

*Please note that this is actually a Face Mask and not a Body Mask review but has been put in the wrong place by Ciao who have been informed.

I was lucky enough to get a load of The Sanctuary products for Christmas and in with all the goodies was this mask. Now, I’ve tried a few different types over the years but never really found a mask that I liked so I don’t tend to bother with them that often but this one was a little different from the norm.

This product is available in two forms – a 100ml tube or a 10ml sachet – the sachet being the version that I found myself with. The sachet is a fairly generous squared size given the fact that it only holds 10ml (see picture at end of op).

I am immediately informed on the sachet cover that this product is an indulgent and warming facial mask which cleanses and pampers skin. Apparently it contains activated charcoal and natural clay kaolin to cleanse and detoxify. It removes impurities and absorbs toxins whilst soothing agents protect the skin. It also contains glycerine which helps to soften and prevent moisture loss. Overall it should leave skin feeling deeply cleansed and revitalised.

That’s some claim from a small sachet of gunk isn’t it? And what exactly have they activated and how? I guess the point is – does it work?

Well, the directions tell me to apply a generous layer to a thoroughly cleansed face, taking care to avoid the eye area. Leave it on for 5 minutes while it heats and then remove with tepid water or damp facial sponges.

So, I thoroughly cleansed my face (well, I’ve used a cleansing wipe and taken all my makeup off) and have removed any residue that might have left with water. I then attempt to open the sachet, which has a little cut at the side of help with the job. I’m pleasantly surprised to find that it opens easily and tears smoothly across the top of the sachet, so no scissors are necessary for this one.

Inside the sachet I’m faced with a fairly dark grey colour gunk, which smells quite typical of The Sanctuary products but is a bit more lively – it’s a calming and relaxing scent that’s completely inoffensive and very difficult to describe. Anyway, I wet my face as instructed and started to apply the mask with my finger. The consistency of the mask is very soft and unlike a typical mask. Its slightly gloopy and not at all sticky or gunky but has a good consistency which means it spreads well and isn’t too thick.

Overall I found it quite oily and had to build up 3 layers to get a good coverage on my skin. It did smooth onto my face easily though, I’m guessing both these factors may have had something to do with the fact that my face was slightly wet when applied (but I am only following the instructions here). I used the whole sachet to give myself an even coverage so 10ml is the equivalent of one application for me.

During application I was surprised to find that I felt a slightly odd kind of ‘warm’ sensation, especially during application to my cheeks and forehead. Maybe I should have expected this as the clue is in the name and it tells me that it warms gently on the packet, but I’m not sure I quite believed it until now! It becomes obvious why the eye area should be avoided as the warming sensation would probably irritate them if it was too close.

The advice is to leave it on for 5 minutes – which doesn’t seem very long to me but during this time I’m also surprised to find that the mask doesn’t change in colour or consistency at all. It remains quite wet and ‘shiny’ looking under the light. You can feel the slightly odd (unless you’re used to it I guess) warming sensation that I mentioned which isn’t at all uncomfortable but just like you’re near a radiator which is giving out heat and warming your face slightly. The sensation did make my skin feel ever so slightly itchy in places but not uncomfortably so that it made me want it off. Because of this – I’d recommend that any of you with sensitive skin should patch test this product before applying it liberally to you face – just in case.

So, the mask doesn’t go hard, or crack, or even change colour throughout the five minutes which was actually kind of strange in a way as its not what I’m used to – that and the fact that it only takes 5 minutes did leave me thinking that I wasn’t really getting my moneys worth out of the whole thing – especially if I didn’t see much difference at the end, which is what normally happens when I apply face masks!

So, after 5 minutes (well I think it was actually more like 8 but never mind), I attempted to wash the mask off with warmed water and was surprised to find that it came off easily and gently. No having to scrub at stubborn bits which had dried hard and no pain in the arse peeling to be had here – just simply put on and wipe off. Impressive.

More impressive still were the results. My skin was left feeling soft and smooth not only to the touch but visibly. After patting my face dry with a towel I asked my boyfriend if I looked different and he said you could see the difference in my face. I used the mask last night and have still got gorgeous skin now. It’s the most effective mask I’ve ever tried.

It’s recommended that this product is used once or twice a week and I definitely think it’s a worthwhile investment. Both products can be bought direct from The Sanctuary online at www.thesanctuary.co.uk The best thing about it is that the sachet can be order online too for £1.29 so you can try it out yourself before you commit to buying a big tube of it. The tube is 100ml and is priced at £7. I’d estimate that this would give 10 – 12 applications (and be a lot easier to apply then digging it out of a sachet with your finger) so that works out to between 50p and 70p per application, which I think is very reasonable for such a great treatment and means if you use it once a week it will last for nearly 3 months at a time. Boots sell the sachets for just 99p so there’s no excuse is there? They also sell the 100ml tube but at a more expensive £7.50

The product states that it’s suitable for normal to oily skin but I would definitely recommend that everyone give it a try. I’ll be buying a tube for myself to use once a week. As I mentioned before, its worth getting a sachet first just to see if you like the warming sensation or not and check that it doesn’t irritate your skin. Apart from that – I can’t fault it – even if it is only a five-minute treatment, it’s the most effective five-minute treatment I’ve tried in a long time.

• JenJen1982 published 09/09/2008
    I've never been a fan of warming face masks, but I do like this one as it does not irritate my skin.
  • supersexycoolchick1 published 11/04/2008
    big up yourself!
  • dujour published 10/03/2005
    great review of a fab product. they're ace, aren't they - weird warming-up feeling and all! c xx