The Sapphires (DVD)

The Sapphires (DVD)

Review of "The Sapphires (DVD)"

published 06/09/2017 | IzzyS
Member since : 27/07/2006
Thanks for all rates. Let me know if I dont re-rate you - I will rectify it ASAP. My thoughts go to all affected by the recent tragedies.
Pro Light hearted tone, moving, cast, Dave, highlights the bad treatment of Aborigines, music
Cons Cheesiness/sentimentality of some plot aspects
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"Watch These Sapphires Shine!"

- Story -

Set in 1968, this film tells the tale of four close friends who are Australian Aboriginies who decide to form their own girl group and their eyes become open to many things including love and war as they perform for US troops during the Vietnam war.

- More Info., Thoughts & Opinions -

This is a musical comedy drama film, which is part biographical and it covers themes including Aboriginal Australians upbringing, equality, auditioning/auditions, the military and of course fame.

I was impressed with the singing which is heavily showcased from early on in the film - it is quite jolly and easy to hum along with. Early on, its mostly country music, although it evolves in to soul based music, which is a genre I'm particularly keen on, so I enjoyed that. The tone of the film is relatively lighthearted at first, although its also quite early on that the viewers are aware of how dimly the Aboriginal people people were regarded at the time. I quite enjoyed it as the plot interested me. I thought the character Dave, who becomes the groups manager, was particularly interesting - he is rather quirky and a little eccentric perhaps but his love of music and his belief in the girls is quite believable and fun, if that makes any sense(?). Ok so I can't claim it is an entirely original plot line I suppose, in as much as there are some cheesy aspects within the plot but I very much enjoyed it regardless. Its one of those stories that may make you daydream about what if it happened to you - what are the chances of the same set of circumstances happening to yourself or someone you know?.

I felt this film was well cast, with the group consisting of sisters Cynthia, played by Miranda Tapsell, Gail, played by Deborah Mailman, Julie, played by Jessica Mauboy and Kay, played by Shari Sebbens. They all seem quite assertive and sometimes bolshie, thankfully able to stand up for themselves but sadly used to the discrimination they regularly encounter due to their origins. Their performances are quite animated, with them all seeming pretty passionate about music and trying to make a name for themselves. Meanwhile, Chris O'Dowd (well known for playing Roy in sitcom The IT Crowd) plays Dave. I really liked his character, although I couldn't help but wonder how many Irish guys (his Irish accent is very present) there would be likely to be in such a remote/rural area of Australia at the time? I could be wrong about that though, I don't really know a great deal about the topic I suppose. I suppose it can be said that the fact Dave didn't entirely (ethnicity wise) fit in with the other locals, made him and the girls get on better perhaps, with them all being misfits of a sort.

I found it to be quite a watchable film - it definitely helps if your a fan of soul, R&B or country style music, due to the music/singing featured of course. There are sober elements of the plot, which highlight the sad way people such as the sisters were treated and it also gives a (if but brief and not explicit, thankfully) glimpse of the devastation of war - more specifically, the Vietnam war. Regardless, the dialogue, overall, is fairly jovial - the girls are clearly depicted as sisters who both love and hate each other in seemingly equal measure at times.

Content wise and this film contains little likely to overly offend or upset people, other than the themes/references to war and racial inequality. However, there is no explicit language present, although there are some milder, scatalogical type terms used, a few moderate racial slurs and various instances of name calling between the sisters and others. Its all fairly tame. There are scenes depicting war, as mentioned, so there is an element of violence depicted, although nothing especially disturbing - there's little in the way of extreme bloody violence 'in the field' but injured soldiers recouping and the like are shown. There are some sex references, most quite mild and one or two scenes which could possibly frighten young viewers but most people should be ok with it. Its been given a PG rating to reflect this.

It definitely becomes more sobre and relatively moving towards the end but this, I thought, was done in quite a good way - it isn't unnecessarily sensationalist. It definitely shifts from light hearted and optimistic to thoughtful and sobre but the emotional scenes are pretty short lived and topics aren't overly dwelled on, I reckon, so don't let that put you off.

- Would I Recommend It? -

Yes I'd recommend this, as I enjoyed the story, I thought the cast did well and I found it a fun and easy watch, while highlighting some important moral points.

- Availability -

If your interested in seeing this, you can buy it on DVD for £3.00 at Amazon UK, at time of publishing this review.

- Final Note / Thank You -

Thank you for reading my review, I hope you found it useful and thanks, as ever, for any and all rates and comments. This review may be published elsewhere but where this applies, it'll be posted alongside the same username.

• euphie published 24/09/2017
    vh :o)
  • jo-1976 published 16/09/2017
    Vh
  • Mickie26 published 14/09/2017
    Fab review

offers "The Sapphires (DVD)"