The Searcher

The Searcher

Review of "The Searcher"

published 23/09/2009 | brittle1906
Member since : 05/03/2005
Logged in to the sad news that Ciao is going down the same route as Dooyoo did. A great shame, goodbye and thanks for all the rates. I've made some really good friends through this site.......... , .
Pro A good special interest magazine
Cons Only of interest to metal detectorists
Quality of journalism
Quality of features
Quantity of advertising

"Seek & ye shall find? I live in hope! The Searcher magazine"

Review of The Searcher Magazine

The Magazine

The Searcher is a well established magazine aimed at metal detecting fans. The magazine is published monthly and first appeared on British shelves around 20 years ago.

The Searcher is priced at £3.25 and is available from outlets such as WH Smith and by subscription. The magazine's own website gives details of subscription rates and stockists.

Back issues of this magazine pop up regularly on auction sites such as bay, although I must admit that I tend to hoard my past copies, I'm secretly ever hopeful of finding a rarity that I'll need the magazine's help with!

Content

Naturally, this magazine will probably only be of interest to people who enjoy metal detecting and treasure seeking. The magazine covers all aspects of the hobby from getting started to advice, on identifying your finds, valuation and of course relevant trade ads. The magazine includes details regarding metal detectorists clubs and societies and and even a wanted and for sale section, it really is fantastic resource for the hobby.

I particularly enjoy the articles and reports on other peoples finds and treasure seeking outings. My partner and I tend to use our detectors mainly on the beach as we live in a coastal area, so most of our finds are fairly modern. The magazine gives us an insight into how metal detectorists in other locations fare in terms of finds and methods of treasure seeking. After all, a sandy beach is a very different prospect to a ploughed field.

Conclusion

In these days of internet access and the use of metal detector on the Time Team TV show, the hobby of metal detecting has opened up to many people who may never have considered it before. Auction sites stock reasonably priced second hand machine and websites about metal detecting seem to spring up thick and fast, but in my opinion, a glossy magazine, packed with features, articles and adverts is very hard to beat for sheer reading satisfaction!

If you own a metal detector or even have a passing interest in the hobby, do give The Searcher magazine a try, it is a great magazine and worth every penny!

Thank you for reading.