The Secret Garden (DVD)

Review of "The Secret Garden (DVD)"

published 16/12/2016 | stacey2911
Member since : 23/10/2013
I'm Back after over a month of not having a laptop
Pro a great family film

Price: £3.59
Certificate: U
Running Time: 97 minutes
Released: 1993

I first watched the secret garden when I was at school and it was the first DVD I ever owned, I don't think I've seen it in over 10 years so today I decided it was time to watch an old favourite. The secret garden is based on the book written by Frances Hodgson Burnett, I read the book so long ago that I can barely remember it but it's a story I will read again and so will my son.

Mary lived in India she had a servant woman who would dress her and look after her then one day there was an earth quake which killed her parents. Mary Was shipped off to Liverpool in England where Mrs Medlock the housekeeper of her uncle Lord Craven collected her. Mary realises that everything in England is completely different and she is treated the opposite to how she was in India. Martha tries to joke with Mary but she is not used to that and doesn't find the funny side at all. Mary felt the house was dead like a spell had been cast on it but then she discovered a secret. Mary takes a trip outside to the gardens and she sees ivy and a gap into what looks like a beautiful garden but she can't find the door. Mary has never had any friends but a robin showed her the door to the garden and from then Mary's attitude softens. She enters the garden and starts to make it look beautiful again. Mary meets Dickon who is Marthas brother he teaches her about the garden. Mary discovers another secret she has a cousin called Colin who is sick, he's never been out of his bed or left his room so he's never learnt how to walk and he is very short tempered. Mary believes that Colin isn't sick at all and she takes him outside to the secret garden with Dickon and they have a lovely time. Colin learns to walk and when his father returns he shows him and they rebuild their relationship.

The story is really easy to follow, not a great deal happens as in there's not loads of action or tearful moments but it's such a beautifully written film which will leave you smiling. Most people will probably think it's predictable but I don't think there's anything wrong with this type of film being predictable. I love that it's a British film with British actors.

Casting

Irène Jacob as Mrs. Lennox/Lilias Craven
Colin Bruce as Major Lennox
Laura Crossley as Martha Sowerby
Walter Sparrow as Ben Weatherstaff

I had completely forgotten Maggie Smith was in this but then I watched it before Harry Potter came out in cinemas. I think all the actors did incredibly well especially the children. You can clearly see the difference between those that have money and power and those who do not and the different relationships between all the characters really sets the mood for the scenes.

I really enjoyed this movie, it's a movie suitable for all. It's still as good as when I first watched it. The music is beautiful and really compliments the film. I would highly recommend the secret garden it ends so lovely and has some brilliant moments throughout. If you haven't seen this movie then you really should it's a film I wont forget about again.

• rolandrat123 published 14/01/2017
    vh
  • jo-1976 published 03/01/2017
    I love both the film and the book
  • kiss_me2070 published 19/12/2016
    I like this film.

offers "The Secret Garden (DVD)"