The Stratford Hotel, Stratford-upon-Avon

The Stratford Hotel, Stratford-upon-Avon

Review of "The Stratford Hotel, Stratford-upon-Avon"

published 30/12/2011 | hiker
Member since : 28/03/2003
Hope 2017 has started well for you...if anyone's interested in what I'm reading this days you'll find it on thebookbag website.
Pro Good location, decent four-star hotel
Cons None
Cleanliness
Service
Facilities

"THE Stratford?"

The Stratford Hotel - front view

The Stratford Hotel - front view

Ever since I was a pretentious sixth-former studying literature in three languages (and generally hating the requirement to dissect great works – oh, how I've changed!) I have always promised myself that one day I will go to Stratford upon Avon purely to go to the theatre.

In the meantime I catch the RSC on tour and go to Stratford simply because one of our main offices is there. Generally then, I'm in town to work and my day-job is trying to save the firm money. "The Stratford" is therefore somewhere I don't get to stay very often.

Well, "once", to be honest… and only then because something special must have been happening and everywhere else was full.

What & Where

The Stratford belongs to the QHotels chain and warrants a four-star rating.

You'll find it on the edge of the town centre. Arden Street links the A422 Alcester Road and the A3400 Birmingham Road. Full instructions for drivers are on the hotel's website http://www.qhotels.co.uk/hotels/the-stratford-warwickshire and if you're arriving by train, ignore the cabbies, just head down the station approach, turn left when you get to the main road and the hotel is on the corner of the next crossroads (less than five minutes walk).

I'm not sure entirely what the exterior is trying to evoke. "1970s Grand" is about the best I can come up with. It's bowed to all the local planning laws on mock dovecotes and clocktowers and garret windows, with a few mock-leaded-lights thrown in for good measure, but it doesn't exude any sense of age. Nevertheless, with its large front garden scattered with trees and seating and the occasional fountain, the porte-cochere with its hanging baskets, it is a pleasant enough approach. Of course, if you arrive by car, you'll drive into the car park round the back and miss all this contrived attractiveness.

I'm not mocking. I do actually quite like it. I just can't help feeling I possibly shouldn't.

Arrival

I arrived in the early evening, on a summer night, when the tourist theatre season was in full swing. The reception was fully manned, and I had only a short wait while the couple in front of me enthused at the idea of being able to book a table for dinner and return to it for desert after the play. I'd no idea what was playing and could only hope it wasn't the Scottish play which might well put them off the sticky toffee pudding.

There's no denying it's a neat idea; one which probably means the hotel sells more puddings than it otherwise would and ensures that guests come back to their bar rather than ending the evening in one of the riverside pubs, but does so by seeming to be catering to the whim of the customer.

I was sufficiently amused by our American friends' delight at the notion to not mind waiting.

Once they'd got to me check-in itself was swift and efficient: my reservation was to hand, a card-swipe was taken, the usual information given in a friendly and helpful manner. I explained that I would be meeting a colleague for dinner and was told that there'd be absolutely no problem with them using the hotel car park, an exit chit was provided for the purpose.

The Room

I had a standard double room, which would best be described as masculine chic: dark wooden fittings, striped wallpaper, deep brown and green soft furnishings in a quasi-thirties-cum-seventies modernism or as they would prefer it "contrasting soft latte shades with rich chocolates to create a warm and sensual haven, and throwing in a touch of vibrancy with dramatic soft furnishings to add a bit of drama". Again, it shouldn't really have worked but it did.

All the usual facilities were provided: shortbread biscuits to go with the tea & coffee, mineral water, and a fridge which I always think is far more useful than a stocked mini-bar – especially if, like me, you're too mean to pay for breakfast when you can buy a fruit salad down the road for a pound and all you really want is somewhere to keep your yoghurt cold.

The Wi-Fi connection was fast and problem free.

There's little more to be said. I slept soundly and woke well.

The Bathroom

Bathroom décor was for the most part, nice simple lines in shades of cream, offset by the unnecessarily fussy washbasin area with trendy surface mounted round bowl and dark micro-tiling. The over-bath shower had the now-regular curved curtain rail to keep the thing away from your body and, more importantly, a good powerful water jet. Towels were the wrong side of fluffy, but not complainably so.

Price

This one was booked through our agent on a framework rate, but a random sampling of dates on the hotel's own website suggests that advance bookings run at about £80 a night, for a more flexible deal you'd be looking at £100 upwards.

Food etc

I didn't indulge in the restaurant, the bar, or even breakfast so I cannot speak for the food. Details and prices are available on the aforementioned website.

Recommendation

Yes. There's nothing particularly special about The Stratford. It's not quirky. It's not especially luxurious or stylish. It's just unashamedly pleasant. I liked it.

• AndrewLeith44 published 25/02/2017
    This was great review wish I could go there for a visit
  • Coloneljohn published 11/01/2012
    You do make it sound a nice place to stay. John
  • Lucy439br published 30/12/2011