The Student Support Centre

The Student Support Centre

Review of "The Student Support Centre"

published 08/03/2016 | TimetogetmyownbackonSSC
Member since : 12/04/2014
Pro Are there any advantages - No!
Cons Ridiculously expensive cost for antequated learning material. Not suited to many children.
Type of Book
Quality of Text
Interesting/Absorbing?
Logical Layout?

"Avoid this study programme at all costs"

Our son was slightly behind at Ton Yr Ywen Primary School (Cardiff) and thinking the school were promoting the Student Support Service - although they state they do not endorse it - we returned our form to school by the very short deadline in the letter. We then had a telephone call from a salesman and an appointment was made. The salesman was very hard selling and I dont think he wanted to leave until we had signed up to the programme. Our son took a 2 minute maths test afterwhich a Student Support study programme was determined. Honestly this is the truth.

We paid over £2,000 for what was later found to be the biggest regret of our life. You only have between 10-14 days to cancel the agreement after that you are locked in until the debt is repaid. This 10-14 day cooling off period is not sufficient time to determine whether the study programme is suited to your child. The Student Support Company study programme is basically a set of very old fashioned dvds (that have not been updated for the last 15 years) and some text books to work through. That is what you get for over £2,000. My friend who also had children in the same school paid over £5,000 for her study programe and like me was so sorry that we had taken out the programme after the school had sent out the forms (implying that they approved of this type of learning). Neither myself or my friend would recommend The Student support Company.

I would not wish any other parent to be ripped off by this company and their hard sell approach.

My son could not work through the study packs on his own so effectively I had to become his tutor. This was not what I thought I would get out of this really expensive programme. I wanted him to be able to work through it on his own with minimal parental involvement. This was never the case and eventually we gave up on the programme not having gained anything whatsoever from it other than a very reduced bank balance!

In hindsight, I wish we had hired a private tutor that would focus on a specific area where our child was behind. This would have cost us so much less and would have been far more beneficial to his education.

Please look at other people reviews - not through the Student Support website and you will get a true feel for the opinions of many angry parents who have taken out this programme.

• LiveMusicLoverLyn published 10/03/2016
    Oh dear
  • 1st2thebar published 09/03/2016
    The set-up sounds dubious. Appreciate the warning.
  • Candyperfumegirl published 09/03/2016