The Third Twin - Ken Follett

The Third Twin - Ken Follett

Review of "The Third Twin - Ken Follett"

published 12/06/2001 | LICARUS
Member since : 02/10/2000
Pro Excellant exciting read
Cons hard to put down
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability
How does it compare to similar books?

"THRILLINGLY MURDEROUS"

The Third Twin

This is the second book I have read by Follet and as with the first I was unable to put it down. The story takes place over the period of one week and believe me you live every day of that week alongside the characters!

We are introduced to a bright young scientist – Dr Jeannie Ferrami, who is undertaking research into the ‘nature –vs- nurture’ argument, in short she is searching for twins who have been brought up apart from one another, to try determine, why people become criminals, is it a genetic trait or a ‘learned’ trait. Ferrami has written her own search engine to find the twins, by scanning medical databases that will throw up any identical ECG’s. This method has revealed several twins whom have been raised apart but have made very similar if not identical choices in their lives, from the way they dress to what they name their children.
Ferrami has located a set of twins, Dennis and Stephen. Dennis is in jail for murder and rape, whilst Stephen is the typical All-American boy, good school grades, well thought of, studying law an all round nice guy. On meeting with Ferrami his world is suddenly turned upside down, he finds out – through Ferramis research that he is not the product of his parent’s marriage. He is arrested for raping Ferrami’s research assistant, when his DNA matches that found on the victim it he looks set to spend his life on the wrong side of the bars. Not only that but he also finds himself falling in love with the cause of all his distress!

Ferramis boss, Berrington Jones attempts to seduce her into giving up her research, to protect his frightening secret. When that doesn’t come off, he engineers her dismissal from the University – thus trying to end her project. The reasons behind this become clear in the book, I don’t want to give too much away. Ferrami is not to be discouraged however and sets about trying to clear Stephens’s name. Going through a series of heart stopping moments in her quest for the truth.

Ferrami is the central character in all this, with her life, if it can go wrong it certainly will! She has just had to put her mother in a shoddy care home, and can ill afford to lose her job. Her father appears in her life once again, after being released from prison, only to rob her of everything she owns. She then loses her job and career only to find herself at the mercy of a dangerous rapist and murderer who she mistakes for her lover!

I read this book (501 pages) over the course of 2 days as I found it incredibly hard to put down. Even after reading it for the 4th time I found my heart pounding and myself turning the pages in frantic anticipation of the outcome, even though I knew what it was!

Although this is a work of fiction you will wonder at the audacity of the plot, one that could be a frightening reality. Follet is certainly a rival to Robin Cook, whose medical thrillers are passionately exciting. Follet explains the medical processes undertaken with ease, making it easy for the reader to understand. His characters are flawless in their credibility leaving certain sure they are ‘real’ people!

• Geckofreaks published 26/06/2001
    I reak this book as well and I loved it, as all of the other books of old Ken! I couldn't believe it when I turned the last pages of The Pillars Of the Earth. I thought it hs to go on! See ya!
  • From_The_Continent published 15/06/2001
    I have only read one Follet book to date, The Pillars of the Earth, and I loved it. I thought he was only writing historic novels, but your op has made me aware of his stories placed in the modern world. I must have a look at his works again. At just over 500 pages, this is almost a short story by Follett standards. Thanks for this excellent review. Cheers, Hans
  • niclemamy published 13/06/2001
    Excellent review - I will have to add this to my list - I must admit my list is getting rather long now, lol :)'''Nicola