Pub - Address: Old Watling St, Strood ME2 3UG

Review of "The Three Crutches, Strood"

published 18/03/2017 | mumsymary
Member since : 23/09/2002
Fed up with not being able to add new products
Good
Pro location
Cons lack of character
Atmosphere
Standard of Service

"Who needs three crutches ?"

The Three Crutches, Strood

When we visited Canterbury we decided to come home (Bucks) late afternoon /early evening and since we knew the M25 around London would possibly be a nightmare we decided we would have something to eat around 6.30pm and start our battle around London at 7.30 or 8 pm when the traffic would hopefully be lighter.

##location.
We consulted the internet and map and found a pub and Restaurant called the three crutches in a reasonable location with fair reviews. The Three crutches are in the Village of Hingham near Strood.

##The name
I was curious about the name "The Three Crutches" and discovered it came because near this spot one of the Templar knights was murdered and 3 crosses positioned on a triangular monument where 3 roads joined. The name is thought originally to be the three 'crootches' the local dialect way of saying crosses. The name then changed in later years to the three crutches.

##The pub
There is an outdoor seating area with a few children's activities. I did not notice these because it was dark when we got there.
The pub from the outside looks a good traditional building.
There seemed adequate parking spaces
We went into the back bar this is where the restaurant is. This bar seems lower than the smaller front bar think it is built on a hill.
The back bar was a large space with lots of tables to seat either 2, 4,6 or 8 people while we were there to accommodate a large group tables were moved.
This bar did not really have a lot of character, it was fine but it felt like just somewhere to go out to eat. I did not look into the smaller bar this might have had more character.

#Food
The bar restaurant was busy while we were there a Thursday night. The clientele were mixed family groups of young, younger than me that am :-) looked like they had just come from work.
We bought some drinks at the bar.
There is fair sized menu with meals for a fiver , Starters and main meals, main meals included curry, chilli, mushroom wellington, fish, These priced from £8 to £11 Pasta salads and children's meals, Children's meals were £4.25 . Off the grill steaks and burgers, from £7.25 to £15 .Deserts around £4 There is a, lunch time menu served weekdays 12 till 3pm .See http://www.thethreecrutches.co.uk/menus.htm for full menu.

Hubby and I had a plate of nachos between us as a starter.
Deciding we had probably spent enough for our mini holiday I opted for the £5 meals my Steak and ale pie was fine. Hubby had Sea Bass and staffs were happy to serve it on his request with out the lemon butter sauce. The service was friendly enough. Service was not rapid but they were busy and the meals cooked to order not premade, we were not in a hurry anyway.
Sorry can not remember what beers served but they have a selection of draught beers, and real ales.

#Would I recommend?
For what we wanted it was fine but not maybe if you wanted a more intimate surrounding.

#Website