The Tower A Guoman Hotel, London

The Tower A Guoman Hotel, London

Review of "The Tower A Guoman Hotel, London"

published 02/09/2012 | siberian-queen
Member since : 15/04/2011
Aiming to be a bit more active on here now my uni course is done :0
Pro Great location on the river Thames
Cons prices on the higher side
Cleanliness
Service
Facilities

"The Tower Hotel, London"

Out side the main entrance

Out side the main entrance

I booked the Tower Hotel in London via www.lastminute.com at a price of £150 for one night room only. This was a discounted price; they normally charge around £100-£120 per standard room a night, but as this was the Olympics prices have been increased and therefore £150 was a discount price.
but bearing in mind the location of right next to tower bridge and it was the Olympics I felt it was fair. I have to admit thought I have never paid this much for a room before my usual limit is about £80 so I was expecting it to be excellent and considering it was a four start hotel - again something I have never stayed at before.

GETTING TO THE TOWER HOTEL

The Tower Hotel is right next to the Tower Bridge in St Katherine's way and so if you get off the underground at Tower Gate it is literally a couple of minutes walk around the side of the Tower of London and over the road. It is also very close to the skipper boat rides up and down the Thames.
The hotel is fairly noticeable from the road as the name is written on the side and it has quite distinctive oblong windows. The actual outside is not hugely attractive but then there is not much that can be done about that in built up London. What is nice is the dolphin fountain out the front and the view of Tower Bridge, especially as it has the Olympic rings at the moment.

ARRIVAL AND CHECKING IN

An electronic door with a concierge to greet you and show you to the desk, this is a nice touch although not really needed as the desk is right in front of you, you can't miss it, but the personal greeting is pleasant.
Checking in took me about five minutes by a lovely lady called Auroa who managed to find us a double room as I had booked a twin/double without realising. My details were quickly obtained and I just had to sign a form and was given a credit card type room key and was offered two if I wished which would be nice if you were a family staying. Directions were given to our room and off we went.

OUR ROOM

We were on the first floor and so went up in the lift and found our room relatively easily but it is quite compact and nicely decorated in deep blue but this does make it fairly dark in the corridors. After a couple of stops to look at room number indicators we found ours right in the corner of the of a small corridor, which turned out to be an actual cover of the main building.

Easy access with the card as you go in there is a few light switches for all/bathroom/bedroom etc and a nice idea which is a switch to let staff know whether you wish to be disturbed or not. You press the switch and it lights up do not disturb or please clean on a screen outside the room. No more accidental awakenings when someone has moved your door tag or its fallen off!

To the right as you go in is the bathroom. Lovely black and white marble sink unit with a small bin underneath and a large mirror plus a shaving/makeup mirror to the side. Bath is a standard bath with a shower above and a curtain. Plenty of white towels provided which are neatly placed on a shelf above the toilet area. My only issue with the bathroom is there id a telephone by the toilet rolls! I have no idea why you would want a phone there exactly especially as there is one next to the bed and if they feel it is needed, they should ensure it is cleaned properly. Lots of dust on cables and top of it, which I am not a neat freak but this is right in you eye view if you are on the loo!!

Moving on…. cabinet space to the left where there is a wardrobe, trouser press, iron and a safe for your personal possessions should you wish to use it.
Carrying on along the left is a large desk with a mirror which has numerous drawers where you will also find the tea/coffee a couple of biscuits and the kettle. The room service folder and information leaflets are also located here.
Television is an LCD one with freesat which is great but we only really used for the news whilst getting ready to go out.

The bed - white pillows and duvet - fantastic best night sleep in ages! firm mattress and oh so soft duvets pillows bouncy what more can I say! Bedside lamps and cabinets.

A table and chairs is situated by the window so you can sit and look out and the tower bridge and a large lamp if you wish to sit and read etc.
The decoration is older English in style the units wood which does in places look like it has seen better days with a few knocks and scrapes, but I guess when units are fitted this is difficult to rectify and it is terrible by any means.
The windows are small and oblong about waist to head height, only one was able to open which was only a few inches which I assume is a safety feature as one window was directly above the water way.
I personally found the room a little smaller than I was expecting but was pleasantly decorated and furnished in a way that I don't think would offend anyone. The room was absolutely fine for the two of us for one night and would be ok for a weekend but any longer than that and I think I might start to feel a little clostraphobic.
I did however have a fantastic nights sleep and heard no noise what so ever from neighbouring rooms or outside traffic.

THE REST OF THE HOTEL

On entering the hotel I was excited it is light bright and full of cream and black marble

We did visit the bar on returning to the hotel late in the evening and it is nicely presented with a mixture of size tables with chairs around so you can sit in groups or couples or stand at the bar. Views over the Thames are nice to sit and relax having a drink or you can watch a large LCD tv in the opposite corner. The prices are as you would expect and higher than your average bar

We never used the restaurant but we were offered to add on our breakfast which would be of the reduced rate of £12 instead of £20 as neither of us are big breakfast eaters we declined but for the price I would want a very nice big breakfast!

Lifts were lovely and clean with mirrors which give them a bigger perspective. We did use the stairs once as they seemed to be taking a while when we came in once. We were only up one floor so I think it was four flights, the stairs were ok but reminded me of multi storey car park ones, they could have been better with a lick of paint. Saying that there are several large lifts so unless you don't like lifts it's not an issue.

On the ground floor there is a extra wide stair case which takes you to the first floor where the bar and eating areas are, which is lovely and gives a grand appeal to the entrance.

Lovely little brassiere to the left of the entrance which enables you to sit outside also so you can have a lovely evening drink with the view of the tower bridge. Meals are served here and the prices are around £15 - £20 per main meal. The menus and prices can be found on the website and you can per book a table via the internet also which I feel is a nice touch in this modern age.

The hotel caters for business - having a vast amount of suites available in a variety of dimensions and set outs.
Weddings are catered for.
For more details please see website www.guoman.com

OVERALL

This is a nice hotel with a great location on the river thames and perfect for both drivers and non drivers due to the locality of the undergrounds.

This review maybe posted on other review sites.

• justarube published 30/08/2017