The Valley of the Kings, Egypt

The Valley of the Kings, Egypt

Review of "The Valley of the Kings, Egypt"

published 10/10/2006 | Bekler21
Member since : 07/10/2006
Pro Really interesting, like nothing I have ever seen before
Cons Too hot!!
Prices
Is it worth visiting?
Transport links
Family Friendly

"A completely different experience"

One of the places we visited in during our stay in Luxor was the Valley of the Kings and Queens on the west bank. We had got prices from many of the different travel agents (most quoted around £19pp). We were talking to a guy in our hotel who was selling balloon trips and he told us that his friend did private tours for £25pp (these prices included transport, tour guide and enterance into the attractions). Although it was slightly more expensive we decided we liked this option better as we would be able to go at our own pace and not have to be rushed or wait on other tourists.
They picked us up outside our hotel at 7:30am in a small air-conditioned minibus. It didn't take very long to get there probably half an hour at the most but time went by very quickly as the tour guide was telling us alot of interesting facts and all about history of the place. The first place we went to was the valley of the kings. We were given 3 tickets which ment we could enter 3 tombs. If we wanted to go inside anymore then we would have to pay extra and to enter Tutenkhamun's tomb was another £7 (we decided to give this a miss as other epople who had went inside said they were very disappointed as everything had been taken to Cairo museum).
The tombs were amazing but taking photographs was forbidden. The only problem was the heat, inside the tombs was so unbelievably hot and a bit smelly.
Next we went to the Valley of the Queens. This time we were given 2 tickets which allowed us into 2 tombs of our choice. The second tomb that we went into was definately the most memorable for me. It was the tomb of the son of one of the Queens. He had died when he was about 11 I think and because of the stress his mother miscarried so they mummified the 6 month foetus! Photographs again were forbidden but for a small fee of 5 egyptian pound (around 50p) the guard who was suppose to stop you from taken photographs would take them for you!! As it was starting to get a little later in the morning it was starting to get very hot by this stage so we moved on to the next place.
The third place they took us to was Hetshepsut temple. It was amazing and totally different to the other temples. It was set on the side of the mountain and I remembered seeing it from our hot air balloon a few days previous. We didnt spend long here as by this stage it was around 11am and it was getting extremely hot!!
When we came out of the 3 different attractions there were some shops and locals trying to sell statues, water and all sorts of other things but we just put our heads down and kept walking so they didnt hastle us to much.
They also offered to take us to a factory were the statues were made but we just wanted to get back to the hotel and cool off in the pool!
It was £25 well spent and I would definately recommend it. Very historical and in my opinion a must see attraction in Luxor!!!!

• blacksta published 10/10/2006
    Myself and my girlfriend are looking at going to eygpt for a holiday soon and your review was helpful. Maybe you could have included a bit more info on how long the journey took and how long you were there and how busy it was and whether or not you were hassled by locals. These are currently my reservations for not booking yet. However thank you

Product Information : The Valley of the Kings, Egypt