The Vanished Man - Jeffery Deaver

The Vanished Man - Jeffery Deaver

Review of "The Vanished Man - Jeffery Deaver"

published 09/07/2004 | Sherbert
Member since : 01/08/2003
Pro A Hollywood blockbuster in the making
Cons None - it's brilliant throughout
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability
How does it compare to similar books?

"UNPUTDOWNABLE DEAVER"

I took 'The Vanished Man' away with me to read on holiday recently. It took just a day and a bit to read as I found it so difficult to put down. It's typical Deaver brilliance with that "I'll just read one more chapter" mentality that makes you end up reading the whole lot without stopping.

The story is based on the Rhyme & Sachs characters of previous Deaver thrillers but you don't need to have read any others to appreciate this novel. Throughout I found myself thinking what a brilliant film it would make. The magical effects could be fantastic on screen and it makes you wonder why you gave up trying to master Paul Daniel's Magic Tricks when you were a kid.

The best thing about this book is that half way through you think it must be the end, only for another twist to occur followed by several others. When you think the story can't possibly be developed further, something else surprising and even more unexpected happens.

I can't praise this clever thriller enough. It's compulsive reading and is enough to make any Deaver virgin go hot footing it to the local library to stock up on Deavers past.

Roll on the blockbuster film. Very highly recommended reading.

• wolfatgoogle published 04/05/2006
    Like Soho Black I thought this the best of his modern books, have re-read it several times. I sill love my first Deaver though...."A Maiden's Grave", he is just SUCH a brilliant author.
  • pyela1 published 18/08/2004
    I too took this away on holiday and finished it in just over a day. I thought it was the first Jeffrey Deaver book I'd read, but later discovered I had attempted to read Stone Monkey at some point and had abandoned it as I could not get into the story. This one however has given me the push to go back and try again. Took a while for me to realise though that he was the same author as Bone Collector, which I haven't read but seen the film. Now Denzel Washington is in my mind when I read his books. Great review. Lynn xx
  • Soho_Black published 14/07/2004
    This is definitely the best Rhyme ones I've come across...and that's including all of them!

Product Information : The Vanished Man - Jeffery Deaver

A killer flees the scene of a homicide at a prestigious Manhattan music school and locks himself in a classroom. Within minutes, the police have him surrounded. Then a scream rings out, followed by a gunshot. The police break down the door. The room is empty. Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs are brought in to help with the high-profile investigation. For the ambitious Sachs, solving the case could earn her a promotion. For the quadriplegic Rhyme, it means relying on his protegee to ferret out a master illusionist they've dubbed 'the conjurer', who baits them with gruesome murders that become more diabolical with each fresh crime. As the fatalities rise and the minutes tick down, Rhyme and Sachs must move beyond the smoke and mirrors to prevent a terrifying act of vengeance that could become the greatest vanishing act of all. See all Product Description

Author: Jeffery Deaver