The Wentworth, Barnsley

The Wentworth, Barnsley

Restaurant & Bar - Address: Maple Road, Barnsley S75 3DL

Review of "The Wentworth, Barnsley"

published 21/04/2017 | Westy4
Member since : 30/09/2015
The 3 Rs make this site work - Read, Rate and Review. Trying to keep up with doing the 3 Rs as much as possible. Very grateful for all the Reads and Rates of my Reviews from others on Ciao.
Pro Useful location, value meal deals, good food.
Cons None
Standard of Menu
Atmosphere
Standard of Service
Cleanliness

"THE WENTWORTH BREWER'S FAYRE BARNSLEY - DEFINITELY WORTH A TRY."

Front of restaurant.

Barnsley
SOUTH YORKSHIRE
S75 3DL

Telephone: 01226 350035

The Wentworth, Brewers Fayre is located 1.5 miles west of M1 Junction 36 on the roundabout where the A61 (Sheffield - Barnsley) and A616 (M1 - Huddersfield) intersect. The A616 links up with the A628 for a scenic route to Manchester. The restaurant is 1.7 miles north west of M1 junction 35a. This makes it a useful location for a pit stop as whichever direction you are travelling on the M1 you can come off at one junction and rejoin further up/down the motorway without adding too much to your mileage.

My husband ordered a mixed grill, which should have cost £12.49, but was free using his birthday voucher. It consisted of steak, gammon, chicken, two sausages, fried egg, onion rings, chips, peas and a grilled tomato. The food was good quality and it was a generous portion (so much so that I had to help out eating some of it). Having said that, had we been paying for the meal, we would have chosen a cheaper option and probably one off the meal deal menu (of which more later), but for free we certainly weren’t complaining.

I had a chicken 'n' bacon salad, which, at £7.99 was one of the cheaper and healthier options on the menu. I had to have something off the main menu so my husband could use his free voucher. My salad consisted of chicken fillet pieces, bacon strips, fresh green salad leaves, tomatoes, red pepper, cucumber, slightly too much red onion for my liking and salad dressing. It was a decent enough portion and the ingredients were of a good quality. It also featured in the meal deal (of which more later).

Our meals took 15 minutes to come, which I thought was acceptable and suggested to me that they had been freshly made to order, which their general appearance and taste also seemed to confirm. It was slightly confusing to the food server when she was redirected from our previous table, as the order was placed with a table number, but the main thing was that we got the food quick enough at the correct temperature.

I'm not sure whether it was because he saw me taking a photo of the restaurant and feared a mystery guest (maybe I’m a little cynical), but the staff manager was very helpful, clearing our table and offering to return to take our dessert order in a few minutes. We were a little surprised, as we expected to have to order at the bar. Unfortunately, I wished he hadn’t appear to be so helpful, as after waiting several minutes, we realised that he had clearly forgotten and I went to order at the bar.

I had been pleasantly surprised when we put the initial order in to be told that we could use the free dessert voucher as well as the meal voucher, as my reading of it was that only one could be used at a time. But, true to their word, I was able to order a lemon meringue pie, which should have cost £4.29, for free to share between us. A generous portion of lemon meringue pie duly appeared at our table with a jug of cream. The meringue was fluffy and light (of shaving cream consistency I guess, although I hasten to add that I’ve never sampled shaving cream!) and the curd had a tangy lemon flavour on a thin pastry base.

I thought the Brewer’s Fayre menu offered a decent selection of reasonably priced food. The a la carte menu had starters from £2.89, mains from £7.99 and puds from £2.29.

But the best value is to be had on the meal deals. Monday-Friday 12.00-6.00pm, a selected menu is available from which you can order two starters for £2.50, two mains for £10.99 and two desserts for £2.50. In other words, should you wish to, two people can get a 3 course meal for £15.99, which, in my book, represents good value for money.

If you can’t get there before 6.00pm, all is not lost, as buffet deals are available. On Monday and Thursday evenings there’s an all you can eat curry night buffet for £6.99, Tuesday is the chip shop buffet, which is also available on Friday for 50p more (£7.49), Wednesday is a burgers and hot dogs buffet for £6.99. On Saturday the peri peri buffet is £9.99 and on Sundays there’s a carvery for £9.99.

Although on this occasion we had no children with us, in years gone by, when ours were younger, we made use of a local Brewers Fayre (which alas is no more) and especially its Charlie Chalk play area. We used to have a map of Brewers Fayre locations, which proved invaluable for meal stops with kids on journeys.

The Wentworth Brewers Fayre was popular with families. There was an indoor play area, which was well used and the children's menu has improved over the years, with much more choice than our children had in the past. Children's mains were £3.99 and a starter or a dessert could be added for 50p each, which I thought was good value. Drinks were from 95p to £1.95 each.

• IzzyS published 06/05/2017
    Thorough review.
  • DanniiJ18 published 03/05/2017
    vh
  • jo-1976 published 28/04/2017
    Didn't realise taybarns were no more!