Thierry Mugler Angel Eau de Parfum Spray

Thierry Mugler Angel Eau de Parfum Spray

Review of "Thierry Mugler Angel Eau de Parfum Spray"

published 01/04/2004 | lulu2004
Member since : 31/01/2004
Pro nice bottle
Cons so heavy
Staying power
Design of the bottle

"Choke your friends with one squirt!"

Thierry mugler's "Angel" is a well known and respected perfume. Recently i've read in magazines that it is the favoured scent of celebs. I think they must be out of their mind.

+++My Opinion+++

I received a bottle of "Angel" for christmas last year. It still sits on my dressing table, with only a few squirts taken from the bottle in that time, and i'll tell you why... this is the strongest most sickly perfume i've ever encountered in my life! The scent catches in your throat, and in the throats of all around you (believe me! my friends have told me how bad it is, when i've worn it!) even the tiniest squirt produces an invisible force field of "yuck" around you.

I know my opinion seems a little exaggerated, and to be fair, if you just sniff the bottle, without applying the perfume, you'd be forgiven for thinking the scent was quite nice, but the main problem with this scent is that it just doesn't die down, or fade. All perfumes smell strong to start with, then in a couple of hours fade to a faint scent on the wearer. If angel faded at all, then it would be wearable. but the strength of this perfume resembles you carrying a neutrogena air freshener around in your hand all day.

+++What does it smell like? +++

So... what does it smell like: according to the blurb "the first perfume by thierry mugler, evokes the emotion of tender childhood memories together with a sense of dreamlike infinity. angel, which launched a new fragrance category called the oriental gourmands, seduces us with angelic flavours found deep within the heart of our memories, as well as its sensual and passionate notes."

It smells sickly. like having too many sweets at christmas.the notes are essences of honey, chocolate and caramel. blended with notes of vanilla, patchouli and sandalwood. sounds absolutely gorgeous. But you end up smelling like food.

+++What does it look like?+++

The bottle is very pretty, i must admit. It is a glass 5 prong star. The top prong is the spray mechanism. The perfume is blue tinted. I have the utmost respect for Thierry Mugler as a designer. However it would be more useful if the bottle came with a stand, because the shape means it cannot stand alone. You have to buy the stand seperately. (see http://www.thierrymugler.com) And if you have a retailer near you with an "Angel fountain" you can get your bottle refilled. This is certainly a good idea, especially for the environment.

+++Is there an alternative+++

Yes there is, Angel Innocent is a lighter fragrance and more suitable for everyday wear. There is also a men's version. A-Men. It works a lot better than the ladies, as men can carry a much stronger smell without being overpowering.

+++What is the price range?+++

Quite expensive range: prices taken from (correct at time of writing)

Eau de Parfum Spray 25ml £36.00

Eau de Parfum Spray 50ml £49.00

Celestial Body Lotion 200ml £25.00

Celestial Body Cream 200ml £40.00

Celestial Deodorant Spray 100ml £17.00

Face and Body Mist 200ml £20.00

Oil for Face and Body 200ml £26.00

Delicious Hand Cream 100ml £20.00

+++Should you rush out and buy a bottle?+++

In my opinion... no. As with any perfume, the smell of Angel will vary on each person's skin, depending on their personal chemistry. But i have a few friends who have tried this perfume, when looking for something sweet, and it has smelt overpowering on them too. If you were looking for a sweet smelling, light perfume i'd recommend "Paco Rabanne's Ultraviolet" it too smells like sweeties, isn't as expensive and doesn't choke the people around you. I use Angel as an air freshener for my bins at home. Now isn't that an awful waste of money!?

• lesa60 published 29/11/2007
    It seems you either love or hate this. I'm still tempted to buy it - er, I think. ;)
  • missixty published 19/03/2005
    Good op, I find most perfumes fade away too quickly so maybe I'd be more happy with a stronger one like this. I've never seen it anywhere though so don't know if I'd like it!
  • spinkygirl published 30/07/2004
    Im using this perfume at the moment and as you say, its overpowering. I find if i put it on in a well ventilated room about an hour before I go out it smells nice. I get lots of compliments on the smell from guys and girls and you can tell when someone else is wearing it as it has such a distinctive scent. I think it smells better on some people than others. Great review tho, thanks, Soph.x

offers "Thierry Mugler Angel Eau de Parfum Spray"