This Is Where I Leave You (DVD)

Review of "This Is Where I Leave You (DVD)"

published 01/02/2017 | arwyn3
Member since : 01/09/2016
WOW!!! I won a third diamond!!! Thank you
Pro An entertaining and heart-warming film
Cons None
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"I thought I'd be leaving but no - I stayed!!"

This Is Where I Leave You

DVD Review

Introduction

I was told by ‘the boss’ that I was watching the DVD ‘This Is Where I Leave You’ as she had bought it after reading the book of the same name and loving it.
I wasn’t so sure that this was the film for me, but being a good boy, I sat down to watch it – anything for a quiet life!

About the Film

“It would be a terrible mistake to go through life thinking that people are the sum total of what you see.”

'This Is Where I Leave You' is an American drama comedy film, based on the book of the same name by Jonathan Tropper, it was released on September 19, 2014.

Director: Shawn Levy
Producers: Shawn Levy, Paula Weinstein and Jeffrey Levine
Screenplay: Jonathan Tropper
Music: Michael Giacchino
Running time: 103 minutes
Starring: Jason Bateman, Tina Fey, Adam Driver, Rose Byrne, Corey Stoll, Kathryn Hahn, Connie Britton, Timothy Olyphant, Dax Shepard, Debra Monk and Jane Fonda
Music by Michael Giacchino
Classified: 15

The Story

The film opens with radio producer, Judd Altman (played by Bateman) leaving work holding a birthday cake that is intended for his wife Quinn (played by Abigail Spencer). However, when he arrives home he finds Quinn in bed with radio-host, whose show he produces - Wade Beaufort (played by Dax Shepard)
It seems that the affair has been going on for a year and the said affair spoils his career, a friendship and his marriage. In a state of depression and with a beard appearing on his chin, Judd gets a call from his sister Wendy (played by Tina Fey), telling him that their father has just died. The last thing he can handle is the death of his father, but he must! So, pulling himself together, Judd makes his way on the journey back to his Jewish family home in New York. Once there, Judd and his siblings - single-minded Wendy, severe Paul (played by Corey Stoll) and the idiosyncratic Phillip (played by Adam Driver) – are told by their mother, Hilary (played by Jane Fonda): that they must abide by their father's dying wishes, to sit Shiva for seven days. Shiva is a Jewish tradition that involves a week-long period of mourning following a loved one's death. During this time, family members traditionally gather in one home to receive visitors.
This week turns out to be one in which secrets are revealed, tensions run high and love manages to triumph amidst all the lies and loss.
What I Thought

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised to find that this film was actually funny – I am not usually a big fan of American ‘humour’!
This film didn’t have the juvenile type of humour (like American Pie, The Hangover etc.) but was more an ‘adult’ comedy dealing with themes that are more applicable to more mature people – like divorce, the death of a parent, fertility, infidelity, running a business etc., but it wasn’t too heavy of a film and filled with dark, morose humour. in that it was not a dark comedy. It was in fact, in a lot of ways very close to mine and my family’s lives in a lot of ways – and I can recall having some very similar conversations that I listened to in this film.

It is quite obvious that this family doesn't really get along and the principle of forcing them to spend a week together is one that the film’s director takes good advantage of with a first-rate cast resulting in a funny and endearing hour and a half with this dysfunctional family. We never get to meet the father, who’s death has brought all the family together but Jane Fonda, is wonderful – and quite amusing - as the family matriarch, an author and therapist with no hang ups! She is more than happy to embarrass her children by regularly giving them explicit details about the sex life she had with their father.
The film does generally seem to concentrate mainly on Bateman's character and his relationships with other people – and he handles the role really well; in fact all of the cast gave a good job in this film
Overall, I would say that this film is well worth watching, and anyone with several siblings will feel a little connection to this light hearted but influential interaction between these family members – if nothing else, it will make you feel that perhaps your family aren’t THAT bad after all!!
The DVD

The DVD (ASIN: B00PS45NGY) is a 1 disc, PAL, Region 2 DVD that comes in a plastic keep box.
Running for 103 minutes, the disc was released on 2 March 2015. The film is in English and has Spanish and French with English subtitles and English subtitles for the hard of hearing
The sound and image are both very good on the DVD.

EXTRAS

1. "The Gospel According to Rabbi Boner" this 6:27 minute centres on Ben Schwartz's character. There are comments from the actor, his cast mates, the author, and the director plus looks at Schwartz's alternate takes and deleted moments.

2. Six deleted/extended scenes (13:34 minutes long) are included.

You can buy this DVD from Amazon from £3.65 new and from £1.17 used or free on Amazon Instant Video.

Do I Recommend?

I am more than a little surprised to say I do! As I said earlier, I wasn’t particularly looking forward to it, and thought that it would be very much a ‘same as’ film/. However, it wasn’t – it is quite a fresh and heart-warming film and if you are looking for a film to watch that has a with a good mixture of drama, comedy and even a touch of romance, then this will do it!!
I don’t think that you will be disappointed – I wasn’t!
4/5 from me.
What do the critics say?

On Rotten Tomatoes 'This Is Where I Leave You' has a rating of 41%, based on 143 reviews, with an average rating of 5 ½ /10.

Empire says "A dream cast are on good form in a film that makes you want to call your siblings, but very glad you don’t live with them."
The Guardian says "The performers excel, but the schmaltz can send a shiva down the spine"
The Telegraph says "Jason Bateman does his best, but this is a paint-by-numbers comedy full of groanworthy clichés"
What ‘the boss’ said

My wife said that while the book did give a lot more details into the characters she still enjoyed this film adaptation and thought that the casting was good from how she imagined the characters.
In fact, she said that it was one of the best book to screen films that she had seen and added that reading the book first does give you a little more background into all the characters.
4/5 from ‘the boss’!

• IzzyS published 29/04/2017
    This sounds surprisingly good. Nicely reviewed.
  • Secre published 23/03/2017
    I recall reading the book a looong time ago...
  • euphie published 06/02/2017
    vh :o)

offers "This Is Where I Leave You (DVD)"