This is the End (DVD/Blu-Ray)

This is the End (DVD/Blu-Ray)

Review of "This is the End (DVD/Blu-Ray)"

published 05/05/2015 | justarube
Member since : 09/04/2014
Thank you everyone for all your reads and rates over the years and thanks Ciao for letting me be part of the community. Hope to see some of you on other sites, perhaps. xx
Good
Pro An all star cast; is unique; some big laughs.
Cons Quite crude; very loud; you are expected to know the real life actors as they play themselves.
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"A Strange, Silly & Unique Modern Comedy"

Film Only Review:

I have to begin by saying that I don't usually watch comedy movies and I was persuaded to see this by a James Franco fan. I was already slightly curious about the movie though since I'd read several critical reviews of it which stated that the cast played versions of themselves in a fictional dimension of the present day. This is a loud, silly and 'gross out' modern comedy which was directed and written by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg and which was released in 2013. It stars a host of names including James Franco as the lead, Jonah Hill, Jay Baruchel and Danny McBride. There are many cameo style performances too from the likes of Rihanna and Emma Watson. Most of the main cast, though, seem to be part of Hollywood's comedy club clique and the script is written in the assumption that we know who these people are. I'll be honest, I barely recognised any of them. I can only assume that this movie is therefore aimed at fans of the comedy genre, fans of this posse of actors/comedians/performers or for a much younger generation than me.

The movie follows the events on the night a party is to be held at James Franco's house. As the party ensues indoors strange and devastating events begin to occur outside and around Hollywood. The chaos eventually reaches the Franco pad and the partygoers assume that the end of the world is nigh. The attempts of the Hollywood elite to survive and figure out what is going on is the focus for most of the comedy and action.

James Franco has to be considered the lead in this cast. Prior to watching this film I knew a little bit about the actor and I thought that the script did a great job in poking fun at certain aspects of Franco's character and behaviour. In fact many of the characters evoke laughter from allowing themselves to be mocked, although knowing enough about the real life actors might make the jokes about them much more relevant and funnier. As a result of my ignorance I felt at times like I was missing out on the punch line. It also seemed like there were moments when actors or celebrities are 'announced' and although this guest star announcing is in itself made fun of it still feels like this was a necessary step to make the less recognisable members of the cast more relevant. It does, at times, feel like a movie that has been scrapped together by the cool gang students of a graduating drama school class.

I really like that we get to see people like Emma Watson, Channing Tatum and Rihanna in ways that we had never thought possible before. It's intelligent comedy writing to be able to chew these people up and dispose of them so brutally. It awards the film credibility and swagger.

There are many genuinely funny moments and lines and there are a lot of moments where I couldn't believe my eyes and ears. The movie aims to be silly, disgusting and original. The male dominated cast and content of many of the jokes means I feel like young males will enjoy this more than females. The infamous Emma Watson 'rape or not to rape scene' where the men worry about Watson's safety as a lone woman amongst a group of men, is an example of this testosterone fuelled madness although in regards to this scene and others I don't feel like there is any content that is seriously off-putting or seriously controversial. It's silliness which can be blamed on the apparent low intelligence of many of the characters.

I have genuinely never seen any other movie or comedy like this. It's very unusual and memorable and there are certain scenes in the film which feel like they could be classic comedy moments. Saying that, this movie is certainly not for everyone. I think it is probably aimed at those well under age thirty, despite most of the cast being at least in their mid-thirties they seem to be playing up to a much younger generation. I also think that this movie is aimed at a male audience and at those who have previously enjoyed rather crude comedies like 'The Hangover' or 'Role Models'.

Having seen this once I honestly would never want to watch it again as it's just not my thing and I also wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't at least vaguely familiar with modern day comedy films. However, I can't deny that this is a bold and original film that stands out in the comedy field. If you are a fan of anyone starring in the film you may just want to watch this for the novelty of seeing them play themselves in the most unimaginable setting ever!

This review is also on Dooyoo.co.uk under my username cyberem78.

• euphie published 10/05/2015
    vh :o)
  • eve6kicksass published 10/05/2015
    There are definitely some funny moments here, but it also thought it was cooler than it what it actually was; personally, I thought Michael Cera stole the whole movie. This is no THE WORLD'S END, that's for sure! :)
  • StewwyB published 06/05/2015