Thistle Euston, London

Thistle Euston, London

Hotel - 43 Cardington Street, Euston, London, NW1 2LP - 2 Stars - 362 Rooms

Review of "Thistle Euston, London"

published 13/06/2005 | Yoni
Member since : 28/09/2004
Satisfactory
Pro Very handy for the train station
Cons Unexpected stairs that are difficult to yank your luggage up

"Thistle Euston - very disappointing :("

This weekend I celebrated my ma's 70th birthday by treating her, my son and moi to a weekend in London to see the Lion King.

My mum has never been well off and always put her kids, then grandkids first, like many many mums, so I wanted this to be extra extra special for her.

I booked first class train travel and that was just wonderful, she felt like royalty. I checked with Theatremonkey and booked top seats at the theatre where we had THE BEST view to an AWESOME performance (it should be made compulsary to go see it). London was buzzing, and they even laid on a bit of pomp and ceremony for us by way of Trooping the Colour (ta for that Queen) ..... So you see everything was pretty much perfect ....... but for the hotel.

I hadn't been able to stretch to a 5 star but had heard such great reviews about Thistle hotels that rather than shop around I decided to play it safe with that. BIG MISTAKE!

There was nothing madly wrong with the hotel, it was clean enough and the service was very friendly .......... it was just that the decor was very very tired, the carpets were showing signs of threadbare, the breakfast was nice in a B & B sort of nice, the beds just were not very comfy and we had to lug our cases up about 10 stairs and down looooooooong dark narrow corridors ........ and if I am to be extra picky the shampoo didn't half make my scalp itch (thank goodness I used it AFTER the show - though it didnt make for very polite 1st class train travel behaviour home).

I think the biggest disappointment was that it did not live up to my expectations. Maybe it just needed a good shake n vac and well placed pot pourri, I dunno. It didn't spoil a great weekend and quality time with my ma and lad, but if I could rebook the whole weekend I would have opted for something with at least a little OOMPH is all.

It is a reasonable place to crash if you need somewhere handy for the station, but I would suggest that if you are pushing the boat out for sommat extra special then you can get more for your dosh elsewhere is all.

• Cat2005 published 14/06/2005
    Yeah I have heard this about a few other Thistle's too ... maybe they need to spend a lot of money doing a fresh up, Cat :o)
  • margarita003 published 13/06/2005
    yeah I've experienced a lot of this from other 'high end' hotels too. They are great for being so central to everything but they often have creaky floor boards and tiny rooms and you sometimes get half a window! I generallly keep to modern hotels where you know there is always a consistent high standard. Always ask for the recently refurbished rooms and take your own 'do not disturb sign' Good review.
  • sesame published 13/06/2005
    I also thought like Becks good review but a little more info would be good. I am really glad that you wrote a review on your stay. We are thinking of going to London sometime this year and I always dread ending up in dive. We went to London a few years ago and stayed in a hotel near Euston station - never again. Bye.