Review of "Tobar Catch Ball Set"

published 17/08/2011 | bexx0907
Member since : 23/06/2009
Many thanks for all the R/R/C's, all much appreciated! Try to ensure I return the favour for all, but if I do miss you then give me a shout so I can get onto it!
Pro A good childrens game
Cons Can get a little tedious after a while
Wear and Tear
Age Group

"Tobar Catch Ball Set"

My son is quite an active child and a good majority of his games have a sporting theme to them. He loves the outdoors too and so a lot of his toys are for outdoor use. He was brought by a member of my family last year a Tobar Catch Ball Set.

The set basically consists of two ‘bats’ which are completely circular and have a Velcro strap behind the bat pad which you use to attach your hand to the bat. The front, circular part of the bat is completely Velcro. The game is made for two players and if you wanted more players, you would have to purchase more than one set. Within the set you also get a tennis style ball.

The idea of the game is simply to throw the ball to your opponent who has to try and catch the ball on the Velcro pad on their bat and then they throw it back to you. It is a very simple game, but also quite fun. It sounds quite boring but you can make it quite fun by making your opponent run and jump for the ball, rather than throwing the ball directly at their pad so they don’t have to move.

To make it more fun in this way, you do have to have quite a lot of room to play in so you may struggle for room a little in a standard sized garden. Our garden is quite a good size so it isn’t too bad but you do have to be careful not to get too carried away with the ball and throw it over your neighbour’s fence by accident!

This game though is absolutely perfect for the beach. We took the kids away for 4 days in May and took the set with us. The bats are flat and not overly big in diameter so the whole set takes up no room whatsoever in the car and is a great game for kids of all ages so even our teenagers were playing it. I quite enjoy it myself to so it is a versatile game.

Obviously there is no way to really change the game so it does get a little boring after a while but the game is what you make it and simply standing there throwing the ball to each other’s bat would be rather tedious but you can really get quite playful with the game and get a lot of fun out of it.

The set is quite pleasing to the eye for children as it is bright and colourful. The general colouring is green and pink with each bat being both colours as well as the ball.

The back of the bats which holds the strap is plastic, but so far it hasn’t been damaged or cracked so although it feels a bit cheap and flimsy it is obviously well made enough to stand up to the ‘child’ test.

As this is a basic game, the price is quite low. You can generally pick a set up for under a fiver and you can get them in supermarkets, most internet sites, and most seaside towns sell them too.

Overall, for such a basic idea, this is actually quite a fun game and keeps the kids amused on the beach and in the garden. I wouldn’t really recommend it as an indoors game, but as it is only a tennis ball, you wouldn’t do much damage in the home if you did play indoors, just make sure any breakables aren’t in the vicinity at the time.

For the money you can’t really go wrong with this game. It is really versatile in that it is suitable for both sexes and for children of all ages and even adults. It provides some great fun if you make it that way and costs next to nothing to buy. All in all, there isn’t a bad thing that can really be said about this so it comes with a recommendation from me.

• mum2boys82 published 20/08/2011
    These are great fun! Rebecca Xx
  • KarenUK published 17/08/2011
    My kids have had a couple of these in the past.
  • Secre published 17/08/2011
    I remember us having something very, very similar when we were small...Lissy