Toby Carvery, Liverpool

Toby Carvery, Liverpool

British Restaurant - Address: 1 Longman Drive, Speke, Liverpool, Merseyside, L24 1XZ

Review of "Toby Carvery, Liverpool"

published 12/10/2017 | Westy4
Member since : 30/09/2015
Back after decorating,work and holiday. Still convinced that the 3 Rs make this site work - Read, Rate and Review. Trying to catch up with doing the 3 Rs as much as possible. Very grateful for all the Reads and Rates of my Reviews from others on Ciao.
Pro Reasonable quality food at reasonable prices.
Cons Cool plates.
Standard of Menu
Atmosphere
Standard of Service
Cleanliness

"SPEAKING OF TOBY CARVERY, LIVERPOOL SPEKE."

The outside.

The outside.

. >

In June we spent a day in Liverpool before checking in to the Holiday Inn Express, John Lennon Airport early on a Friday evening. Realising that we would be in need of a meal, and reluctant to pay hotel prices, my husband had done some internet research and found that Toby Carvery, Liverpool Speke was located a handy 5 minute walk from the hotel. Google maps suggest 9 minutes (but we took a shortcut across the grass).

Having turned the corner on foot past Dobbies Garden Centre, I was looking for a traditional pub building with the Toby brand logo. Toby Carvery, Liverpool Speke was a much more updated version. The recognisable branding was clear to see, but the building was modern. Access by road was via Longman drive (hence the address), but we walked along Speke Avenue. Not seeing any obvious footpath, we scaled s low single bar wood fence (around 40cm high) and headed across the grass towards the entrance.

There was a good-sized carpark at the side of the restaurant and the grass area was bordered by small bushes and shrubs, all kept in good order. The building was a flat roofed, high single storey construction of beige concrete, with wood above the large panelled windows which were across the front and to the side.

Concrete slabs formed a patio area near the entrance, where there were tables and chairs and the option of awnings which could be extended from the building to give shade or shelter. To the right of the entrance, and further round the side there were borders with small bushes and shrubs. All combined to give a pleasant approach, helped by the good weather on the day.

The welcome desk was facing the door as we entered. We were greeted promptly and taken to a table by the window. I was struck by how modern the interior was and also how well lit compared to many older buildings in the Toby brand. The staff were friendly and quick to take our order, especially as the restaurant was fairly quiet when we went in.

If I had to sum up the interior of Toby Carvery, Liverpool Speke I would say it had the feel of an American diner. The red multi-square patterned carpet was a variation on the swirly patterned carpets of other restaurants in the brand. There were familiar red leather effect and brown leather effect seats around small dark wood square and circular tables, but there were also long rectangular tables in booths with beige leather effect high banquettes. The partitions for the booths were topped with glass.

The bar ran along the right side of the building with long bench banquettes by the window at the side. The welcome desk had a beige leather effect padded base with a wooden top.

The suspended ceiling was a mix of cream panels, cream rafters and dark wood. Lighting was a mixture of beige lights inset in the ceiling and low slung circular brown shaded lights. There was a slatted wood partition running behind and at right angles to the welcome desk with bench seating to separate the restaurant area from the bar. There was similar set up of bench seating at the opposite end of the dining area.

The servery was along the back wall of the restaurant. Behind it there were white framed back lit panels in pink with graphics based on food preparation and pigs, which brings me to the main section of any restaurant review.

Our intention had been to order two carveries and nothing else on the menu was attractive or cheap enough to dissuade us from this. So we headed towards the back of the restaurant where we were offered a choice of beef, turkey, gammon or pork, (which all looked tempting) by a chef. Having chosen turkey (for me) and a selection (for my husband), we were offered a Yorkshire pudding before the meat was served. I tend to decline, as usually they are so big that they fill the plate and also, sadly, the days when I could eat as much as I liked with little weight gain are long gone and I have to be a bit more selective with my food choices. Over the years I'm sure I've noted a slight decline in the generosity of the meat servings, but I was happy with the reasonable serving of turkey I received on this occasion.

For me the veg in a carvery are as important as the meat, especially as this is the self serve section, and Toby Carvery, Liverpool Speke did not disappoint. The choice was roast potatoes, peppered mashed potato, onions, green beans, cabbage (green and purple), carrots, potatoes and carrots in a sauce, peas and cauliflower in a white sauce. These were followed by a choice of gravies and sauces.

Quality was generally good, but I was disappointed that the plates were cool, which makes a big difference to how long food stays hot. The potato and carrot mixture in a sauce, although tasty, was also very oily and the cauliflower was a bit short on sauce.

Usually a carvery is plenty to fill me and I pass on dessert, unless of course there’s an offer, which is too good to resist. On this occasion, I had a voucher for a free ice cream sundae, due to my pending birthday. So, not being someone who can pass up on a freebie, I selected a honeycomb sensation, which we shared (so much for going easy on the Yorkshires!). The description on the dessert menu was “creamy dairy ice cream, crunchy honey pieces drizzled with Devon cream toffee sauce and Belgian chocolate sauce topped with a Cadbury flake and a crispy wafer.” It often surprises me how the same dessert can be different from one restaurant to another within the same brand, but it depends very much on the individual who assembles it. This time they had been a little heavy handed with the chocolate sauce and had forgotten the Cadburys flake.

There was a wide ranging and average priced drinks menu, but on this occasion we went for the cheaper option of two glasses of tap water.

A carvery meal at Toby Carvery, Liverpool Speke was priced at £6.49 when we visited. Prices can vary slightly depending on location.

There was a choice of starters, alternative main courses and a range of desserts on the menu as well as a comprehensive range of drinks to suit all tastes.

The Honeycomb sensation should have cost us £3.79.

If you are away from home and in need of a reasonably priced meal, as we were at Toby Carvery, Liverpool Speke, the internet is a very helpful tool. A little research online can save time and money. I well remember, on childhood holidays, trailing between restaurants comparing different prices for the ‘treat’ meal out of the week, only to find that my parent opted in the end for the first one we had looked at!

It’s worth signing up online to receive regular emails from Toby (and other brands). This was how I came by my free birthday dessert.

It is also worth checking online for any current offers at Toby carvery. We recently used a two carveries for £10 deal.

Keep your eye open for ‘in house’ offers. There is often the option of a reduced rate for a 2 course meal, combining a carvery with either a soup starter or a dairy ice cream sundae, with the choice of other selected desserts for £1 extra.

Once I had got used to the American diner feel to Toby Carvery, Liverpool Speke instead of the usual English pub, I found it fitted the bill for us. Staff were friendly and helpful. The food was generally of a good quality. At this price I don’t expect everything to be perfect and I was willing to overlook the cool plates, oily potato/carrot mixture and the dry cauliflower lacking in sauce. If it’s perfection you’re after and haute cuisine then I think it’s fair to say that no Toby Carvery would fit the bill. But for a filling, reasonably priced all you can eat offering, Toby Carvery, Liverpool, Speke ticked the boxes for us.

Would I recommend? Yes.