Review of "TomTom GO 40"

published 27/05/2015 | danielclark691
Member since : 27/02/2011
The game is over. Time to move onwards and upwards. Feel free to have a cursory glance at my reviews. The rates, comments and competition wins are appreciated, as are the friendships formed because of the site.
Pro Great looking, robust, easy to navigate menus, easy to follow instructions.
Cons None
Reliability
Ease of Use
Look & Feel
Durability & Robustness
Battery life

"TomTom Go 40"

First impressions

When it comes to satellite navigation devices I like to know where I stand. I would much rather buy from a brand I am familiar with than one I am unsure about, it makes sense really. You are on a country lane a couple of hundred miles from home and you don't have a clue where you are. You don't have a map and are relying on your chosen SatNav to take you back home. Think about it, I know I would rather have a TomTom device than any of the other brands, though I am not saying I do not think they good quality, I just trust the TomTom brand as I have owned a few of their systems now.

Here we have the TomTom Go 40. This is a satellite navigation system that I found to be rather impressive when I bought it. I will go into detail about the spec soon, but for now we will concentrate on the looks. I think I must say that this is definitely one of the better looking navigation devices I have used so far. The screen surround has a sort of brushed gunmetal finish to it. It is quite unique in design from what I have seen elsewhere, and with this model having a 4.3" widescreen display you should have no problems keeping an eye on your progress as you motor along.

This device comes complete with a car cigarette lighter USB plug and also a cable which connects this to your SatNav device. You will never run out of juice on the go. Overall I am very happy with the looks of this device. I must admit I am often impressed by the looks of some of these devices, though this one is clearly a great looking piece of kit.

My experience

The main feature of this device which drew me to it initially was the lifetime maps of Western Europe. I have looked at the countries included in this package, though the only ones I imagine I would ever use are the ones in Spain, France and possibly the Netherlands. If you travel to Europe often and use hire cars then this could be a great idea as something worth packing in your hand luggage. I think that if I traveled a bit more I would be able to use these maps to their full potential, but I don't!

As with all of the SatNav devices I have come across they are equipped with a TFT touch screen display, and with a screen resolution of 480x272 I think the quality of the graphics is fantastic. As soon as you begin to key in your desired destination the software will begin to give you results for your search. This ensures that within moments it can be plotting a route for you. The menus are simple to navigate and the touch screen is rather responsive. I must say that the routes are loaded rather promptly, and this can be essential if you need to make a quick change to your plans.

This SatNav has a Micro SD Card reader and the benefit of Bluetooth capabilities. I always download revised maps by connecting my SatNav device to my laptop using a USB connection. If you take a closer look at the menus and options you can turn on and off alerts to traffic and speed cameras etc. You are also able to easily locate points of interest along your route, and the lane assist function ensures that you are driving safely and makes sure that you do not need to make sudden lane changes and cause havoc on the roads!

In terms of battery life I suppose I have not tested this device out to the max. I would say that it has not run out on a journey for me up until now, though I am never often on the road for more than a couple of hours at a time. I charge the device in my car, though I do this every so often to ensure the battery is always topped up.

The speed camera warnings are rather useful in areas you are unfamiliar with, though it is important to update the device regularly if you are going to be reliant on it for warnings. You can turn these alerts off, and as some people would rather use their own eyes this could be a good idea.

Price and availability

Looking online it would seem that the price of this SatNav varies quite a bit. It is therefore very important to look for the best deal at the time, with prices currently ranging from £99 to £149. This is on the Amazon website, though it would also be worth comparing different sites for the very best price.

Final thoughts

Navigating my way through unfamiliar territory is very pleasant with this device. I have never had any problems locating my destination, though if you only specify a street name or postcode you may find yourself having to use your common sense at the end of your journey. In terms of quality I cannot fault the TomTom Go 40. You can literally just turn it on, type a postcode in and select a street name, you are then free to go about your route and you have the option of choosing the shortest or quickest route.

This is a good quality item and although the price puts it at 'mid-range' I would say it has to be up there with the better devices available today, especially considering the lifetime free updates.

• AlexDa published 02/06/2015
    great review
  • Chippytarka published 02/06/2015
    Nicely reviewedx
  • eve6kicksass published 02/06/2015
    Excellent review! :)

Product Information : TomTom GO 40

TomTom GO devices come with TomTom Traffic to get you to your destination faster. Find your destination faster with intuitive search results. Quick Search starts to find your destination as soon you start typing. Essential traffic and travel information at a glance. The Route Bar shows precise traffic and speed camera information on the road ahead.

Manufacturer: TomTom

Bluetooth: Yes

Touch Screen: Yes

iPod Control: No

Recommended Use: Automotive

Preloaded Maps: Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Italy, Finland, Switzerland, Austria, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Ireland, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican, Gibraltar, United Kingdom, Canaries, Malta

Interface: USB, Bluetooth

Internal Memory: Flash

Traffic: TomTom Traffic

Speed Camera Warning: Yes

Voice: Navigation instructions, street name announcement, voice command recognition

Functions & Services: Lane Assistant, Point Of Interest (POI)

Card Reader: Micro SD Card

Product Type: GPS receiver

Recommended Use: Automotive

Card Reader: Micro SD Card

Interface: USB, Bluetooth

Functions & Services: Lane Assistant, Point Of Interest (POI)

Traffic: TomTom Traffic

Speed Camera Warning: Yes

Aerial: Built-in

Internal Memory: Flash

Features: Hands-free calling via Bluetooth, built-in speaker, IQ Routes technology, TomTom Map Share technology, lifetime map updates, lifetime traffic updates, built-in mounting bracket, Tap & Go, Speak & Go

Navigation