TomTom XL V2

TomTom XL V2

Review of "TomTom XL V2"

published 06/11/2011 | bbicuk01
Member since : 05/02/2007
I am an IT teacher at a Sixth Form College. I enjoy all sports and love reading and surfing the net. I will try and return ratings as soon as I can, if I forget comment on my guestbook and I'll get back to you
Pro Easy to use and set up
Cons would have expected the battery life to be a bit longer
Reliability
Ease of Use
Look & Feel
Durability & Robustness
Battery life

"Never get lost again"

I got this satnav for Christmas last year after swearing for many years that I didn't need a satnav or want one!! My wife however got fed up with printed out online directions that seemed to always get us lost in the last mile when we were travelling to places.

When I opened this present from Santa I was really happy and played for quite a while on Christmas Day with it. This unfortunately was when my first problem really occurred we live in a GPS dead zone, we have very poor mobile signal and when the SatNav wanted to connect to my computer to update etc it wouldn't work, also I can't set my home location because our address does not exist. This has been partially solved as I can set the home location to about 1/3 mile down the road and I don't think I need the SatNav from there!!!!

The other problem this did highlight is when I am going somewhere and am using the SatNav I have to pull over just up the road, turn it off and then back on or the SatNav never seems to find a GPS Signal - this minor faff may be solvable and maybe I just don't know how to use it properly.

Features

When the satnav is turned on it goes to the first page of the main menu, this has the following features Navigate to.., find alternative, help me, add favourite, change preferences.

The navigate to feature allows you to navigate to a variety of places, home, address, recent destination, point of interest, point on the map, latitude/longitude or position of last stop. To navigate to an address you simply press that option and then chose where you want to go, I tend to use the postcode option where you then type in the postcode, it comes up with an address and then calculates the directions. I have found this system really easy to use; if the system can't find postcodes then you can find directions using the road name.

Find Alternative allows you to get the satnav to calculate an alternative route; this is useful on the road if you are stuck in traffic or road works, I have used it once or twice and it quickly and easily sorts out a new route and gives clear instructions.

Help me allows you to contact people for help that is needed, or tell you where you are, it even has a first aid guide, thankfully not something I've used yet!!!!

Add Favorite allows you to select destinations you have been to before as favourites that can easily be recalled when setting up directions, this is something I haven't ever used.

Change Preferences gives you about a million different things you change, like the map type, the voice, the language, night colours, the volume, you home location etc. I have used some of these but i'm not going to talk about all the changes you could make or we'd be here all day.

The touch screen I have found to be very responsive and it quickly goes where I have pressed, its easy to use and very customer friendly.

Ease of Use

The times I have used this SatNav it has worked very well, the directions are clear and easy to understand with plenty of notice for making turns or changing directions. I have never connected it to the windscreen and have just placed it on the front seat or in the gap under the stereo and it is easy to hear the voice and have the odd quick look at the on screen map. This map is large enough to see easily and isn't very confusing at all. The one thing I would say is that I always have a look online to see roughly where I am going before I set off so I am not entirely relying on the SatNav, to much reliance could lead you into trouble.

• danielclark691 published 25/02/2015
    well reviewed
  • Renza published 09/11/2011
    I would very much like one of these...with Alan Rickman's voice ;-)
  • sweetybi published 07/11/2011
    Nice review! It would certainly be useful for me :)

offers "TomTom XL V2"

Product Information : TomTom XL V2

With TomTom XL, the attractive EasyPort mount can be left on the device and folded flat after use. The complete unit, including the mount, is then small enough to fit into a shirt pocket or bag when you leave the vehicle. In addition, the TomTom XL is equipped with a completely revised audio system so that navigation instructions are even more loud and clear at all times – even above outside traffic noise or a car full of excited children.

Manufacturer: TomTom

EAN: 0636926020640, 7614500034033, 0636926020695, 0636926020671, 0636926020626, 0636926021852, 0636926025218, 0636926020633, 0636926017725, 0636926020701, 0636926025515

MPN: 1EG0.054.02, 1EG0.002.02, 1EG0.002.00, 1EG0.054.00, 1EG0.027.00, 1EG0.002.13, 1EG0.054.01

Category: Portable Navigation Device, Portable Devices Dedicated For Navigation

Internet Connectivity: No

iPod Control: No

FM Transmitter: No

Traffic Message Channel: Traffic Info ready, TMC ready, Yes

Application: Car

Lane Assistant: No

Secure Digital Card: Yes, No

xD-Picture Card: No

Multimedia Card: Yes, No

Compact Flash Card: No

Product Description: TomTom XL 2 - IQ Routes Edition UK & ROI - GPS receiver, TomTom XL 2 - IQ Routes Edition Europe - GPS receiver, TomTom XL 2 - IQ Routes Edition France - GPS receiver, TomTom XL 2 - IQ Routes Edition Europe 42 - GPS receiver, TomTom XL 2 - IQ Routes Edition Central Europe Traffic - GPS receiver, TomTom XL 2 - IQ Routes Edition Europe Traffic - GPS receiver

Product Type: GPS receiver

Weight: 185 g

Dimensions (WxDxH): 11.8 cm x 2.5 cm x 8 cm

Recommended Use: Automotive

Voice: Navigation instructions

Speed Camera Warning: Yes

Included Software: TomTom HOME, Tele Atlas

Traffic: TMC (Traffic Message Channel)

Interface: USB

Navigation

Trip Computer: Quickest route, fast/short route, street address search

General

Product Type: GPS receiver

MPN: 1ET0.013.00, 1ET0.054.09, 1ET0.010.00, 1ET0.054.07, 1ET0.029.01, 1ET0.054.02

Features: Built-in speaker, Speed Camera warnings, speed limit warning, 2D / 3D map perspective, preinstalled POIs, automatic routing, IQ Routes technology, TomTom Map Share technology, TomTom QuickGPSfix, Advanced Lane Guidance, Plug & go, Emergency Help

Aerial: Built-in

Included Software: TomTom HOME, Tele Atlas

Voice: Navigation instructions

Speed Camera Warning: Yes

Traffic: TMC (Traffic Message Channel)

Interface: USB

Preloaded Maps: Ireland, United Kingdom

Recommended Use: Automotive

Internal Memory: 1 GB flash

Display

Features: Anti-glare

Menu Language: Danish, Hungarian, Czech, Slovak, Flemish, English, German, French, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Polish, Finnish, Swedish, Spanish, Dutch, Turkish, Latvian, Lithuanian, Estonian, Catalan

Display Illumination: Yes

Resolution: 480 x 272

Diagonal Size: 4.3" - widescreen

Type: TFT - colour - touch screen

Connections

Interfaces: USB ¦ TMC

Miscellaneous

Included Accessories: Car power adapter, USB cable, TMC reciever, EasyPort mount

Dimensions & Weight