TomTom XXL

TomTom XXL

Review of "TomTom XXL"

published 19/08/2010 | littlem91
Member since : 19/08/2010
I'm Gemma, in Cornwall. I'm only now re-starting after a year gap (August '12) due to stopping suddenly for personal reasons. Will try and rate but I can miss things.
Pro Easy, good satnav, lovely!
Cons Possibly price?
Reliability
Ease of Use
Look & Feel
Durability & Robustness
Battery life

"Tomtom XXL is extra extra great!"

Well I bought my lovely satnav in early april, I should start by saying I'm one of those people who before passing my driving test thought sat navs were a waste of time, it was easy to learn roads and plan routes... and then I passed my test and my sense of direction DIDN'T improve.

So a year after passing I'd saved up some money and started looking at the hundreds of options available. Well I didn't want to pay for a subscription service, which narrowed it down a little. As a market leader, TomTom just became an easy choice, my other thought was Garmin but I preferred the meni system of the TomTom when looking at them in Halfords.

The reason I settled on this was mainly the larger screen - I wanted one with IQ routes and this just ended up being my favourite. I bought it in halfords where they had an offer on and I got this and the XXL case for £190 (case worth £20), the GPS was £179.99 and any accessories were half price. It was, at that point, the cheapest I could get it anyway, so I bought it there and then.

When I got home I was pleased to find it had some charge already, and I had a look again at working it, I also plugged it into my PC and got up to date maps and any updates that were available, and tried it out later that day.

Using it is very easy, the menu screen is very intuitive to use. You set your home address and that is under "Home" to navigate you to. Adding addresses can be done by postcode, street and house number or by city. There are options for day or night lighting and such as well.

There's also a selection of voices you can use. Directions are clear and volume is adjustable, and it's quite accurate.

My 1st long journey:
This was 200 miles to my grandparents about a month after buying it. It was very accurate with the times and useful. The lane guidance feature was a godsend on the M5, made life a lot easier to see where I needed to be.

Accuracy:
Like most, probably all GPS systems it isn't perfect. Ocassionally it marks bridleways as roads, sometimes thinks a bend is a turning or a turning is a bend and such. But it's not yet tried to drown me, and considering you should have your eyes on the road and signs anyway, it's not majorly inconveniencing.

If you don't take the correct turn (either it's closed, you miss it or whatever) it will ask you to turn around but soon reroutes you, and very quickly

Signal:
I've lost signal maybe twice in the time I've had it, both long long after my mobile was a no show! And only for a very short time, perhaps a minute tops. Quite impressive really!

To attach it to your windscreen you have a sucker thing, you press it on then turn a ring which secures it, your GPS then sits on it. It has come unscrewed once but that was due to me, other than that it's been perfect. You can also get mounts for elsewhere in the car.It connects to your car via the cigar lighter socket. The battery life is fantastic even when not plugged in, I left mine on overnight by accident and it still had charge in the morning!

Specifications from halfords website:
* 5" - 16:9 wide touchscreen display
* UK & Ireland street level mapping
* Full European street level mapping
* Pre-loaded safety camera data**
* Advanced Lane guidance - makes difficult junctions easy to navigate
* IQ Routes - calculates your route based on real average speeds
* TomTom map share guarantee - update and improve your maps for free*
* Black finish

I think that about sums it up - I can't find any particular bad points, it's a very easy piece of equipment to use, and incredibly useful! I suppose to some the price would be the downpoint, but for me I've found it well worth the cost.

(May be elsewhere under the same name)

offers "TomTom XXL"

Product Information : TomTom XXL

See more and drive easily with an extra wide screen. Touch screen technology gives you the easiest operation to make using your device a pleasure. Only TomTom uses actual speed data collected from millions of users to calculate the fastest routes at any point in time. Imagine a route that takes into account rush hour, traffic lights, zebra crossings, school exits or even shopping crowds, every minute of every day. That's how smart IQ Routes is! Clearly shows which lane to take at junctions so you don't miss your turning. On the most difficult highway intersections, realistic 3D representation of the junction keeps you relaxed and safe. Make corrections to your own map and benefit from thousands of corrections made by TomTom users every day - free of charge.

Product Description: TomTom XXL - IQ Routes Europe - GPS receiver, TomTom XXL - Europe Classic Series - GPS receiver, TomTom XXL - Classic Series - GPS receiver, TomTom XXL - Classic Western Europe - GPS receiver

Product Type: GPS receiver

Display: 5" colour widescreen, 5" colour - 480 x 272 - widescreen

Touch Screen: Yes

Recommended Use: Automotive

Preloaded Maps: Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Italy, Finland, Switzerland, Austria, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Ireland, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican, Gibraltar, Poland, United Kingdom, Hungary, Slovakia, Serbia, Croatia, Estonia, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Latvia, Romania, Montenegro, Lithuania, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Russia, Belarus, Moldova, Ukraine

Interface: USB

Voice: Navigation instructions, Navigation instructions, street name announcement

Included Software: TomTom HOME

Functions & Services: Lane Assistant

Speed Camera Warning: Yes

Internal Memory: 2 GB flash

General

MPN: 1EP0.002.01, 1EF0.054.05, 1EP0.002.03, 1EF0.029.00, 1EF0.054.00, 1EF0.054.01

Product Type: GPS receiver

Recommended Use: Automotive

Card Reader: SD Memory Card

Interface: USB

Included Software: TomTom HOME

Aerial: Built-in

Features: 2D / 3D map perspective, preinstalled POIs, IQ Routes technology, TomTom QuickGPSfix, Trafficmaster RDS TMC

Functions & Services: Lane Assistant

Internal Memory: 2 GB flash

Speed Camera Warning: Yes

Display

Type: TFT - colour - touch screen

Diagonal Size: 5" - widescreen

Menu Language: Danish, Hungarian, Czech, Slovak, Flemish, English, German, French, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Polish, Finnish, Swedish, Spanish, Turkish, Latvian, Lithuanian, Estonian, Catalan

Features: Anti-glare