offy 4

offy

Member since:27.07.2000

Are you a sizzler or a cold turkey

16.02.2002

Advantages:
Fascinating watching the colours change, long lasting

Disadvantages:
Quite expensive, not easy to apply evenly

Chips Easily?

Price

Features

27 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. SuperFlorence
  2. zobo77
  3. elaine16

I blame Trampus for this one as she recommended a website for another product, and whilst I was there I couldn’t resist buying this nail varnish. The web site I am talking about is www.nailarmour.com. It mainly sells nail products, but you can also find mascara, scented body glitter and some men’s products there.

This opinion is about Toma Mood Changing nail varnish. To quote from the website, this is ‘heat sensitive nail polish that changes colour based on your body temperature, your mood, your cup of coffee or gin and tonic on ice!’. There are 36 different colour changing polishes, which I will list here to give you an idea of the diversity. Some of them subtly change shades whilst others completely change colour depending upon the temperature. All of the colours are displayed on the website to see if you are unsure about the shades.

• Hot pink to light pink
• Lilac to blue
• Black to silver glitter
• Silver to white
• Purple to lilac
• Magenta to pink
• Light navy to sparkling pink
• Pink to silver
• Blue black to silver clear
• Lavender to clear glitter
• Sky blue to silver
• Purple to light blue
• Bronze to gold
• Brown to gold
• Gold to light gold
• Sea foam green to champagne
• Glitter tangerine to lime green
• Rust to yellow
• Glitter purple to shocking pink
• Glitter plum to baby blue
• Light pink to white
• Purple shimmer to blue shimmer
• Sea foam green to light blue
• Peach to pastel pink
• Shimmer gold to shell pink
• Lavender to oyster pearl

Now you have seen the list, you can probably guess what a hard job I had to decide which one to choose. Not having used these before I was not sure of how true to the colours shown the real product would be. I would be wearing this nail varnish to work, so I didn’t want anything too loud or glittery. In the end I opted for the last one, lavender to oyster pearl. The web site made this look like a pale lavender colour, which would turn into a pearly white colour.

Some of the nail varnishes are available in two types of bottle – one looking like a light bulb and the other one looking different from any other bottle I have seen before as it has a flat lid, a bit like a screw lid on a bottle of tablets. The one I ordered only came in the latter bottle (called standard).

They are currently on special offer of £6.99 (normally £7.99). There is a P&P charge which depends on what you order. It quite cleverly tells you the price for your order once you have gone to the shopping basket part of the website. To give you an example, I ordered a mascara and this nail varnish, and I was only charged £1.24. It arrived very quickly (about 2 days) and was well packed in a little cardboard tube with polystyrene bits in it.

The clear glass bottle contains 15ml of liquid and is just under 3 inches tall. It is made in the USA. The nail varnish looked more pink than I imagined and was sort of glittery in the bottle. When you unscrew the lid an applicator brush is attached. The nail varnish goes on very thinly and it is hard to judge how much you have put on. The instructions suggest three coats 30 seconds apart and I would have to agree, or the result can be quite streaky. One thing I have discovered is that it depends on how warm you are when you apply it as to how it looks as you apply it. The nail polish goes white when you are warm and pink when you are cold, and sometimes different fingers are different temperatures, making the result look odd as it is applied.

I was disappointed with the colour as it was more pink than indicated on the web site, but the white colour is lovely and pearlised. I have found myself fascinated by my ever changing nails! I watch them at meetings at work as I cool down with boredom. One funny look is when your fingers are hot, but the ends of your nails are cold, as it looks as if you have dipped the ends in something pink. It is also fun to lean your nail against hot or cold drinks and see the patches change colour immediately (get a life woman!). I had quite a crowd at one meeting all watching, fascinated.

The nail varnish is quite slow to dry by the time you have three coats on, but it is also quite hard wearing. When I removed it after four days (quite good for me), it was also quite difficult to remove, particularly if it was at the colour that blended in with your nails as you missed bits.

The website is very easy to use and has bargain items too. They have a money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with their products. Some of the other varnishes I quite fancy are: Light Sensitive (changes colour when in UV light), Metallic Illusion (iridescent, multi-layered polish), Krackle (apply this as a contrasting coat and watch it crack) and Textured (3D touchy-feely lacquer).

All in all, a great website and a great product. Although I was slightly disappointed with the ‘cold’ colour, I have been so fascinated with the colour changing, that it was still worth the money (just). I just might have to try the purple shimmer to blue shimmer or the black to silver glitter for effect. If you see a blonde woman around Bucks totally absorbed with her colourful nails, come and say hello to me.

SuperFlorence 18.05.2008 19:46

Sounds cool, but almost impossible to get hold of. Nice review though.

zobo77 28.05.2007 20:40

That sounds so cool! There's no way I'm gonna end up just buying one type of nail varnish from here :-P

elaine16 10.01.2007 18:06

sounds fascinating, I`m indecisive at the best of times¬