Soother

Review of "Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Decorative Orthodontic Soother 6-18mth"

published 29/11/2016 | Candyperfumegirl
Pain Relief
Easy to use

"Fun Soothers"

Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Decorative Orthodontic Soother 6-18mth

I remember my sister in law being rather shocked when she discovered my newborn son sucking on a soother, she insisted that she wasn't being judgemental but emphatically stated that she would not be giving her baby a soother which was due in just a few months. I told her that my eldest daughters both had soothers as babies, once they turned two they were only used at night and they had stopped using them well before they started reception so I felt confident that my son would not be starting university in 18 years time still sucking on a soother. Nor did any of my children suffer with any dental problems related to the use of soothers. There is also interesting research that suggests the use of a soother may reduce the risk of SIDs, in fact my midwife and HV recommended their use for this exact reason. Still, my sister in law was adamant that her first born child would not be having one although she did relent once the baby was born and a soother was in her daughters mouth the first time I came to visit her. We've used countless brands over the years but with my son we seem to have stuck with the Tommee Tippee range, he likes the cherry shape of these and they have some lovely designs. I usually buy the Decorative soothers in the 6-18m range.

Packaging

Tommee Tippee Decorative soothers come presented in a plastic casing through which the soothers can be seen inside. This is surrounded by a cardboard slip which clearly shows the brand logo and product name along with various bits of information all of which should be read thoroughly before use.

The packaging keeps the soothers well protected but it is an absolute nightmare to open up. There are two stickers either side of the plastic casing which need to be peeled away, however these don't peel away in one easy strip and I always find myself picking away at it for ages. The plastic casing should not be used to store the soothers in and it cannot be sterilised.

The Soothers

Our current soothers have a different design than the one shown in Ciaos picture above (although if I ever saw this pirate theme I would certainly buy them - Its such a cool design!). We've had a few different designs over the months including a robot design, flowers, cats and aliens, they seem to release different designs all the time so always expect something new. Usually they have very gender specific soothers with the girls ones being all pink and the boys being blue or green, but they do also do a range of unisex ones. At the moment we have yellow themed soothers, one has a happy looking caterpillar on whilst the other has 'hello' written on in a little speech bubble.

The soothers have a nice shape to them, they have a curve to them so they fit the contours of the face making them comfortable for baby during use. There are no sharp nasty bits to cause any problems, its all smooth and rounded. They are also rather wide so that the outer part of the soother would be impossible to fit in babies mouth, so does not cause a choking hazard. Each soother has a little handle well attached as well. The cherry is a nice shape and is BPA free too.

Our Experience

Having used a variety of these decorative soothers over the past year I have to say I have been more than pleased with them. My son enjoys his soothers immensely and he seems to find them comfortable to suck on, they sooth him when he is feeling poorly and help him to sleep when he is tired. It is rare that my son uses his soothers in the day anymore, but I will often take a spare one out with me in case he feels sleepy whilst out and about and needs a snooze in the car or in his stroller.

My son and I both like the decorative designs and prefer them to the standard one colour or clear soothers out there, I like that the designs seem to vary each time we purchase them so they don't become boring to look at. My son enjoys the different designs too, a while ago we had some cat ones which he really liked as 'cat' was one of his new words at the time.

I regularly check my sons soothers and have always been more than happy with their general quality and longevity. I have never had to throw a soother out because it had become unsafe, I like to buy fresh ones for hygiene reasons but more often than not I have to replace them because we are forever loosing them!

After a while I have noticed that some of the picture begin to look a little faded or a little scratched in places. Of course this doesn't impact the safety of the soother in any way and is purely cosmetic.

Tommee Tippee do recommend regular careful inspection of these soothers and advise throwing away at the first sign of damage or weakness.

Cleaning

These soothers are suitable for sterilising, whether that be in a steam or microwave steriliser or the more old school sterilising tablet / liquid solution. When my son was a newborn I would pop his soothers in my micro steriliser but now he is older I don't bother with this and simply pop them in the dishwasher (top rack), or I hand wash them with washing up liquid and rinse with hot water from the kettle.
Final Thoughts

Tommee Tippee is a brand I trust, I have been purchasing their products for my kids for as long as I can remember. They product high quality products and these soothers are no exception. They are well made and look really cute with their fun and funky designs, so it's the full 5 Ciao stars from me.

Price & Availability

Tommee Tippee Decorative Soothers are widely available in all large supermarkets and on line. They have a RRP of £2.9 but can often be purchased on offer so its certainly worth shopping around for the best deal.

Delivery charges may apply.

• LiveMusicLoverLyn published 30/11/2017