Tommee Tippee Milk Feeding Bib

Tommee Tippee Milk Feeding Bib

Review of "Tommee Tippee Milk Feeding Bib"

published 19/01/2012 | pmcds
Member since : 07/11/2005
The triple reloading due to the advertising banners ciao has is doing my head in. Almost can't be bothered to stick with the site!!!
Pro Neck roll, easy wash, attachment
Cons Price, no plastic backing, may not be great for larger feeds
Capacity
Lid & Grip
Wear & Tear
Ease of cleaning

"Mopping up the messy eaters"

Although our tiny little boy is breastfeeding, the fact that he was very premature means that there are certain things he needs to take as supplements, which he has orally but needs to be mixed with expressed breast milk and fed via a bottle. Having purchased the Tommee Tippee bottle, we went for the feeding bibs as they looked a lot less problematic than the standard ones which didn't really catch anything that came out of his mouth, the majority of it running down his chin and soaking his babygrow moments later.

We only express and feed him a small amount (around 10mls) of breastmilk, so we're not expecting gushing gallons of milk seeping out. However, what we needed was something that would stay snug and tight to his neck and absorb any seepages. The bib professes to do this, with the thicker neck roll design designed to be kept snug around the next as you feed. It's attached by velcro at the back of the neck, and although there isn't much room for adjustment with this, this is snug for our little one who has only just gone past 5 lbs in weight, and I have heard of other babies far heavier being able to use it, so the adjustment must make a bit of difference.

The neck roll is a comfy material, and is designed to absorb any surplus liquid that drips down. Anyone who bottle feeds will know that no matter how close an eye you keep on things, it's really hard to always notice when some is coming out, due to the angle the bottle and baby need to be at. The neck roll is very good at absorbing the sneaky seeping milk, and its thickness means that the material is still soft and doesn't feel damp to the touch. This is good, as it means there isn't a damp patch rubbing against his skin.

The rest of the bib seems pretty standard, to be honest. The material doesn't seem all that different to a usual material bib, and the size and shape are standard. It's easy to wash as well, and you can just chuck it in with other things to wash at 40 degrees. After the first couple of washes, it does lose its colour, but appearance isn't all that important for me, just so long as it's clean and retains its softness, which it does really well.

I don't know whether this would work for a full feed by bottle, as I haven't tested exactly how much the neck roll can absorb. If you do have a lot of leaks by bottle then it may be worth trying one of those plastic bibs, indeed it might have been a good idea to have this with a plastic backing, as it would then ensure that even a large amount of milk wouldn't seep through to the baby's baygrow and skin that way. As it stands with this one though, for what we need it for it's perfect.

My mother in law actually bought these, so I can't say we have felt like worrying whether they're worth the cost. However, were we to think about it, they're not cheap, coming in at around £5 for a pack of two or £8 for a pack of four. They come in three colours: cream, pink or blue. We had a pack of two, both cream, although the cream fades after a couple of washes. At £2.50 per bib, these really need to do the job to justify the price. For us, they did exactly what we needed them to, but I could easily see how they wouldn't be quite so great for bigger feeds and messier seepages. I'm not entirely sure I would have looked twice at the bibs due to the price, but as they were bought for us, I'm happy to recommend them in terms of usage for our needs.

• catsholiday published 20/01/2012
    A clever idea for dribbly feeders.
  • Summers_mummy published 20/01/2012