Tomtom One

Tomtom One

Review of "Tomtom One"

published 21/07/2006 | supersto
Member since : 13/04/2006
Pro Easy to use, can now be customised, portable, value for money, speed camera alerting, clear voice instructions, bright lcd display
Cons battery drains quicky, limited amount of favourites to add, maps need updating
Reliability
Ease of Use
Look & Feel
Durability & Robustness
Battery life

"Tom Tom One GPS Navigation"

I really like this gadget in fact I could say that it is one of my best purchases ever. My work involves travelling a lot to various different sites, most of which I have never been to before.
So the easiest way of finding your new work location is simply by entering its postcode "of which every business or home has!" into the unit and add it as one of your favourites. I like to cross reference the area the postcode falls within by using a search page such as 192.com which also has a handy map locator after using a postcode search, so I simply compare the data location tom tom one has stored about my work place and compare it with the information map on 192.com !!
The customisation of the unit is unique too. I can download speed camera databases from the internet and have them display on my unit, hence preventing me from ever getting a £60 speeding fine from a hidden gatso camera, plus it warns you in plenty of time about it too. I have also found out that I can now play mp3 music on it too by using a different SD card and a piece of software from the opentom project, I can play mp3 lists, it's just fantastic. The positives are too much to mention, display and set up are touch screen and theres plenty of information on the provided CD if you get stuck.

Negatives of the unit are: check your phone supports interaction with the units bluetooth software as mines doesn't but may be fixed by a future firmware update. Battery drains quickly, more so if you use spoken voices a lot. Maps need to be updated as some new roads that I am on, are simply big green fields displayed on the unit.

• supersto published 11/12/2006
    ou could have enlightened us all about the different SD card and a piece of software from the opentom project, it is news to me and sounds very good. If you rewrite this I feel sure you will get more opinions. Hope you take this criticism in the way it's meant you can get the software from http://www.maintech.de/nonprofit-projects/opentom-mp3-player/ It is freeware and project based so don't expect a high flying flashing media player as well as mp3. You will get the grey mp3 screen menu as shown on that page to which you can create your custom playlist. As for the different SD card, it's a precautionary, I use a spare 512MB SD card to play my MP3's from the TomTom One and I leave well alone my original SD card which has the GB maps, waypoints etc on it.
  • smudgeybabes published 06/12/2006
    I gave this a "helpful" I think you missed an opportunity here, you could have enlightened us all about the different SD card and a piece of software from the opentom project, it is news to me and sounds very good. If you rewrite this I feel sure you will get more opinions. Hope you take this criticism in the way it's meant.
  • Crimsonflame published 21/07/2006
    These devises look ever so confusing, tom tom one sounds slightly comical he, good review. Crimps

Product Information : Tomtom One

Your first step in car navigation? TomTom ONE combines ease of use, portability, TomTom's touchscreen technology and a sleek new design. Drivers can enjoy the benefits of a TomTom ONE immediately, thanks to TomTom's award-winning plug and drive navigation software pre-installed on a memory card. This means there is no need to download complicated software, just plug in and start using. TomTom ONE comes with the latest regional maps of your region. With TomTom ONE, everyone can find its way from A to B!

Listed on Ciao since: 09/02/2006