urch1n 1

urch1n

Member since:09.11.2003

Who designed this thing?

15.02.2004 (16.02.2004)

Advantages:
looks good

Disadvantages:
possibly designed by someone who doesn't have kids !

Recommendable No:

and a further member
  1. AnitaM
  2. smileybabe
  3. nosreme7

The tomy "easy potty trainer" is a far from easy way to begin potty training, and at £14.99 is an expensive choice.

The point of this thing is that it comes in 3 parts, so when your child has mastered the potty part of it, the base becomes a step (so your child can reach the toliet) and the top part becomes a child seat which fits onto your toilet seat.

Sounds like a great idea...right?

WRONG!

1) To begin with, this thing is HUGE...where do you keep it? it is about 8 inches high and about 10 inches wide!

2) Also It has a big lid on a hinge to cover the top when not in use, but why you really need this I don't know, it just gets in the way. My son wanted to play with it all the time and trapped his fingers in it on more than one occasion.

3) The potty itself is very tall, and my son is not...he was only 18 months old when i introduced him to this potty...he was too short to be able to sit down on it easily......when he went to sit the back of his legs would push the potty backwards and he would miss it. I ALWAYS had to reposition him, even when he did manage to sit down on it because....

4) the actual potty "bucket" part of it is very small, and there is a ridge on the front of it which i guess is good if boys can position themselves inside it, but a beginner will be no good at this...and it can get very messy.

5) the little bucket part of it can be lifted out, and also has to be correctly put back in place...otherwise there is the risk of a child sitting on it, and it popping back into place with a bit of skin trapped in the gap OUCH!!!

6) i found the top part did not fit tightly onto my toilet seat, whereas i have seen other child seats which fit well enough so they don't move around at all.....having one that moves can be a real pain.

In summary, potty training is a traumatic experience for both the child and its parents.
This "easy" potty is far from it, ...it is distracting, messy, even painful! ... this can all be very distressing for the child......but what distressed me most about it is the fact that all this hassle cost me nearly 15 pounds!
Within a week I had bought a standard potty (for ONE POUND!!) and it solved my problems!

Blueballoon 17.05.2006 21:14

Thank you, I was wondering if the 3 in one trainers were worth the extra money, I certainly won't be trying this one. Trapped fingers and skin...oooouch!

AnitaM 29.02.2004 23:48

My mum has bought one of these to keep at her house for my son to use and I actually don't mind it as a temporary measure. Although it is quite big and the potty part is very small. I don't know whether I'd want one at home.

smileybabe 17.02.2004 16:30

I used something similar for mine when they were small but hated having to run upstairs to empty it!!