Review of "Tomy Walkabout Classic"

published 10/06/2004 | caz34
Member since : 12/09/2001
Pro Mobile, well made
Cons can use batteries quickly.
How mobile is the parents unit?
Volume Control
Powered by

"Sleep well my precious one."

I decided on this monitor, not because it was the cheapest on the market, because at between thirty and forty pounds its not. But because Tomy are a brand that I trust and associate with good quality products. I must say that other monitors are available on the market and cost a lot more, as this does the job very well I cannot see the point of spending more for the same job.

The Tomy Walkabout Classic seemed the answer to my prayers, as when my baby was sleeping I would not be tied to one room waiting for the monitor to sound.

Setting the monitors up is so easy, simply place the baby monitor in the room where the baby will be sleeping. Although they do run off of batteries, it is so much better to use the supplied adaptor and plug it into the mains. So find a spare socket and position the monitor. I do keep batteries in mine but use the mains. This means if for any reason there is an interruption to the power supply then the monitor will still be working. Every few weeks I also check the batteries just to make sure they are fine.

Then for the parents monitor its just a question of doing the same, putting in the batteries finding a suitable mains socket and plugging in. Then hopefully the only sound you will hear is your baby sleeping. You can adjust the volume, but not too quiet as it defeats the object of monitoring your baby at sleep.

In brief its so simple add four AA batteries to both the monitor and the receiver, then plug into the mains and chill. If you need to wander then just unplug the receiver and wander around the house happily. I would say though I have found the life of even the best batteries is not that long, that is why I keep mentioning plugging into the mains supply as much as possible

Another thing is you have two channels to pick from, this might sound silly but make sure both the monitor and the receiver are set to the same wavelength otherwise you might be listening to the neighbours baby and not your own. A couple of times I have had to change over channels because of interference, this means changing both the monitor and the receiver.

I am not saying this is the best way of using them, I leave mine in the room I am in and attached to the mains, then if I need to go into another room, rather than have to switch it off and unplug it, all I do is disconnect it from the adaptor and I can walkabout, this really does make a difference.

Here are the details of what you get and need.

One monitor with mains adaptor, you will need four AA batteries, the monitor has two channels and a red light indicating it is on.

One receiver with mains adaptor, you will need four AA batteries, the receiver has two channels and a red light indicating it is on. It also has a volume control and a set of red and green lights at the top, quiet noises show as green but the louder the noise the more red lights that become lit. It also has a clip on the back so you can attach it to a belt.

• pennywa published 12/08/2007
    really great review
  • luckyarchers published 29/06/2004
    A reassuring monitor to have :-)
  • L0BSTER_QUADRILLE published 29/06/2004
    UsefuL informative review !!!