Top Gun (Original Soundtrack) - Soundtrack

Top Gun (Original Soundtrack) - Soundtrack

1 CD(s) - Soundtracks - Label: Sony Music Distribution - Distributor: Sony Music/Arvato Services - Released: 02/04/2001 - 5099707029624

Review of "Top Gun (Original Soundtrack) - Soundtrack"

published 02/02/2002 | jess0910
Member since : 18/08/2001
Good
Pro Kenny Loggins, Mighty Wings, the Top Gun anthem, hurrah for the Eighties!
Cons The shoddy second half and the misleading CD cover, NO RIGHTEOUS BROTHERS?!
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics
How does it rate alongside the competition

"Kenny Loggins Can Be My Wing-Man Any Day"

Just like we salute Mr Foot Long Hot Dog Inventor, let us also salute my local Ford Dealership Guy. Not only for being a bit of a fox (he’s got my number, I’ll keep you posted), but mainly for getting me a superb JVC CD player for my Ford Ka and installing it himself for paltry money!

However, there is a down side to this magnificent event. I have been in possession of my fabulous new music device for just over a week now, and in that many days I have bought four CDs. That’s FOUR! Bye bye Christmas bonus…

And I will hold my head up high and admit that one of my purchases was the soundtrack to Top Gun. I’ve got the film on DVD but watched it more recently when it was on BBC One the other week. Then this week, there I was in Woolworths looking for a tape measure, when I spotted this CD on sale for £6.99. Visions of Iceman’s wedge haircut and those greasy dogfighters playing volleyball flashed through my mind, accompanied by a lot of synthesiser and cheesy (and frankly, camp – but we’ll go into that later) lyrics. Yeah baby!

This CD is a true testament to the 80’s. There are only ten tracks and barely any of them hit the four minute mark, plus the disc itself is very plain with only the titles printed down the disc and a thick red line down the left side. Minimalist chic, eh?

I popped the disc into the player and felt myself grin with glee as I heard the opening bars of Kenny Loggins’ ‘Danger Zone’ – one of the flight montage synthesiser rock tracks…

1) DANGER ZONE by KENNY LOGGINS

For some reason I’m on a real Eighties roll at the moment, did anyone notice? And if anyone can claim to be a king of the Eighties Music Scene, it’s Kenny Loggins. Many a soundtrack did he contribute to in this fluorescent decade, and who doesn’t remember his track ‘Footloose’? We begin with a dramatic keyboard intro, soon matched with Kenny’s oddly pronunciated vocals and what you can bet is one of those weird shaped electric guitars they had in 1986. Some frankly awful lyrics take us to the signature chorus (‘Highway to the danger zone, gonna take you right into the danger zone’) and through a tune overloaded with electric drums and synthesiser. They don’t make ‘em like this anymore!

CHEESIEST LINE: “Revvin’ up your engine, listen to her howlin’ roar, metal under tension, beggin’ you to touch and go” – Learn to finish your words properly please, Kenny, no more apostrophes.

CAMPEST LINE: “You’ll never know what you can do, until you get it up as high as you can go” – Riiiiiiiiiight…

2) MIGHTY WINGS by CHEAP TRICK

Another of the signature tunes played over the flight practice scenes (of which there are many). I couldn’t pinpoint this track from just looking at the title, but the opening bars are as at home in my heart as my beloved childhood pet, Mildred the Chinchilla. Intro of more dramatic keyboards and more awful lyrics with plenty of electric drum banging. This has a bit more of a kick than Danger Zone, probably because the singer doesn’t pronounce things oddly (how did you get away with it, Kenny?) but also because he also sounds a bit like Meatloaf crossed with Roy Orbison. Or not.

CHEESIEST LINE: “I take a chance on the edge of life, just like all the rest, I look inside and dig it out, ‘cause there’s no points for second best” – Dig what out?

CAMPEST LINE: “I want to ride on the silver dove, far into the night, til I make you take me out on your mighty wings across the sky” – You’re a MAN. Singing over scenes of MEN flying navy jets across the Ocean. But each to their own.

3) PLAYING WITH THE BOYS by KENNY LOGGINS

I knew you’d be back soon, Kenny my love. You still aren’t pronouncing your lyrics quite as clear as I would like, but maybe that’s what made you the ‘in’ thing for however long it was that you were in! Ah, the volleyball scene… A more upbeat song - less of the drama and more of the boyz joshing about in their spare time. Lots of light panpipe-ish trilling, ‘inspirational’ lyrics and bell-like chimes.

CHEESIEST LINE: “I don’t want to be the moth around your fire, I don’t want to be obsessed by your desire, I’m ready and I’m leaving, I’ve seen enough, I’ve got to go, you play too rough” – Go then! I’m gone! Go then! Fine! I'm gone!

CAMPEST LINE: “It’s a strange anticipation, knock knock knocking on wood, bodies working overtime, man against man” – Oh, you and your manly sentiments…

4) LEAD ME ON by TEENA MARIE

This is the song that plays in the bar before the Righteous Brothers karaoke. Now as this was the latest stuff playing in the bars and it was 1986, you can expect the following. A faux trumpet intro leads us into a (I suspect) wholly keyboard-composed track. Teena Marie is quite a good singer and she does have to compete with a fair amount of faux trumpets, so I think she does quite well. She also has some rather shrill backing singers so she’s probably the best thing there is about this track.

CHEESIEST LINE: “Talk to me of lightning, I’ll hear what you say my love” – Come again?

CAMPEST LINE: Because she’s a woman, she gets away with lyrics like “When I try to break free, you say to me c’mon and lead me on”. So none.

5) TAKE MY BREATH AWAY by BERLIN

Who doesn’t know this? No-one I bet. Who actually likes it? Not me! By this point (yes, track five, ladies and gents) I am getting a bit sick of all these folks composing their entire songs with their Casio keyboards or equivalent music maestro things. This song just is too organ-laden for me (in an instrument way, not a human part way). Mind you, it always gets put on Love Song compilation CDs and still gets played on the radio – plus it was really *the* song of Top Gun, so the geographically-christened band must have done something right.

CHEESIEST LINE: “Through the hourglass I saw you, in time you slipped away, when the mirror crashed I called you, and turned to hear you say” – Too many lace, mirrors and flouncy veil pop videos! Enough (and that means you too, Kate Bush and yer Wuthering Heights).

CAMPEST LINE: It’s a lady singing again, so none. But I do find “watching I keep waiting, still anticipating love” a bit dubious.

6) HOT SUMMER NIGHTS by MIAMI SOUND MACHINE

Yes, that includes Gloria Estefan. And MORE FAKE DRUMS. Ye Gods, did anyone use real instruments in the Eighties?! To be fair though, this has quite a good bass line and I think I can even hear some sort of xylophone affair in the background. I think it was another of the songs played in the bar and though there are more faux trumpets, Gloria doesn’t have to compete with half as many as Teena Marie did. Just as well, because who has had more success?

CHEESIEST LINE: “In the end two hearts will meet, and maybe they’ll find whatever they seek” – Maybe?? If this is real romance, shouldn’t it be definitely??

CAMPEST LINE: Gloria is a lady, but please… “One more lonely girl goes on automatic”?? “Sitting out upon the front steps, bursting at the seams”?! Steady on, love.

7) HEAVEN IN YOUR EYES by LOVERBOY

Can anyone tell me where this song was included in the film? I don’t believe I have ever heard it before in my life and thankfully so, because it’s awful. A harpsichordy intro worthy of a Disney feature leads into a verse in which the singer breaks a note really badly in the first line. Come on, people! Surely Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer (yes, not only did they produce the film, but also the album) could have picked someone more adept to rock ballads, and who preferably was not called Loverboy? Obviously not. If you insist on listening to this one, prepare for some strained singing, a tambourine and wailing guitar laden chorus and.. yes.. a keyboard backing track which is quite possibly the worst one on here. And that’s some mean feat.

CHEESIEST LINE: All of it.

CAMPEST LINE: None really, but I think the artist name deserves a mention.

8) THROUGH THE FIRE by LARRY GREENE

Another flight montage accompaniment – possibly the one where Maverick goes beneath the flight deck and ‘kills’ Jester. A keyboard intro worthy of a Haunted House ride leads into a backing track which sounds like it may have been copied slightly (i.e. a lot) from Danger Zone. Poor Kenny. But it has to be said that Larry Greene can’t quite compete with the instantly recognisable vocals of Messr Loggins, so it’s okay. However, this track has a nice bell tinkling bit in the chorus which Kenny might have been a bit jealous of.

CHEESIEST LINE: “Through the fire, to the wire, when the night out of control is breaking your heart” – Eh?

CAMPEST LINE: “I look for signs that you are here tonight, when the passion calls the pleasure to the pain” – Easy tiger, maybe you should look for signs that Gloria is here tonight instead of me.

9) DESTINATION UNKNOWN by MARIETTA

I vaguely recognise this one but couldn’t say where in the film it appears. Nothing really that special about this track, except for some reason Marietta sounds like she’s somewhere past middle age and is struggling with her lyrics. I have to give it credit though, for probably being the most simplistic track on this album. Just a simple REAL guitar and drum backing track and no crappy pan-pipey, harpsichordy, church bell percussion. So well done, Marietta.

CHEESIEST LINE: “I need to walk the wire just to catch my breath” – Why? Just have a cuppa and I’m sure you’ll be fine, dear.

CAMPEST LINE: None, apart from the usual “light at the end of the tunnel” stuff.

10) TOP GUN ANTHEM by HAROLD FALTERMEYER and STEVE STEVENS

I don’t think there can be anyone out there who doesn’t know this one. This is the refrain that runs throughout the entire film. The echoey shakes and deep tolling bell begin at the opening credits of the film, when the planes are being anchored and directed off the ship deck and the little men are waving their sticks this way and that (?!). Bring in the slow but deliberate guitar refrain and a bit of (sigh) keyboard, and we launch into the full reprise of the Top Gun anthem. I could almost wipe a tear from my eye as I recall Maverick throwing Goose’s dog tags into the ocean. So sad, so sad… But then for some reason this track launches into an odd, double speed ending where the guitar goes all crazy and wobbly and there’s a horrible hand-clappy drum bit. Cut it out before this bit, because it will rip all your well-meaning military emotion away from you.

CHEESIEST LINE: None because this is instrumental, but out of the film I would probably say “Your ego is writing checks your body can’t cash” – Can you get any more Eighties Manliness?!

CAMPEST LINE: Of the film, “You can be my wing-man any day”. “Bulls**t, you can be mine” – Reeeeeeeallly?

A quick conclusion because this op has run on a little longer than I thought it would! For £6.99 I’m glad I got this album. It’s one of those cheesy classics that I just love to have in my CD collection and I hope I’m not alone in that (nervous laugh)!

The first half of this CD is pretty cool – Kenny Loggins’ tracks and Mighty Wings – all the tracks you are likely to recognise off pat. But the second half is quite shoddy, only redeemed by the Top Gun Anthem at the end. If this was a tape, I would only play Side A, then fiddle with Fast Forward and Rewind so I could get to the Top Gun Anthem, then go back to the start of Side A.

And I do have a complaint about the CD case – though the correct track listing is inside the booklet, the back of the CD just lists the tracks randomly, with no indication of which one comes where. So I had to fiddle with getting the booklet out of the case to see what was coming next and how many tracks I wanted to skip! The back cover is just too busy with pics of the main players in the film and a nice picture of a navy warplane and that is not a good thing. Not that they will ever re-haul this CD, but if they did, they should consider this!

Oh, and three words. NO RIGHTEOUS BROTHERS.

Right, I’m off to put on a puffball skirt and some orange eyeshadow and pull some pilots down at my local…

• Dizzy_Lizzy published 28/03/2005
    I love this film, and the soundtrack is great. Danger Zone is so cheesy but I love it. ~Liz
  • lostprophet published 18/04/2003
    Wow, you've really put some effort into that!! You may not want to know this, but there is an extended version of the soundtrack that includes The Rightous Brothers (You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling), Great Balls of Fire, The soppy 'Sad' song when Goose dies, and Sitting on the Dock of the Bay. Plus a dubious remix of Playin' With The Boys!! Unfortunately for poor souls like you, they never changed the album cover! Sorry bout that! Great op though - very funny! I loved the 'camp line' bit...genius! "What's your problem Kasanski?"......"You're everyone's problem!" Ha! Genius!! Cheers for the op, Tom p.s. Danger Zone is great for when you're bombing it down the motorway!
  • Baywatch_Fan2002 published 19/08/2002
    I loved top gun, as i love romantic films. My fave song on there is take my breath away!!! sorry, but it is!!! :)