Top Gun (Original Soundtrack) - Soundtrack

Top Gun (Original Soundtrack) - Soundtrack

1 CD(s) - Soundtracks - Label: Sony Music Distribution - Distributor: Sony Music/Arvato Services - Released: 02/04/2001 - 5099707029624

Review of "Top Gun (Original Soundtrack) - Soundtrack"

published 07/09/2008 | MI9to5
Member since : 08/02/2008
Pro Fantastic tunes
Cons Some obscure tracks
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"A must have album"

The Soundtrack cover

The Soundtrack cover

After watching the film too many times to count and humming the powerful songs within it in my room, walking down the stairs, in the garden, in the bath and probably even in my sleep I decided it was about time that I bought the soundtrack.

The film is in my opinion made fantastic because of its immense soundtrack, the mix of powerful ballads and memorable tunes makes it an integral part of the film. For this reason I believed that the soundtrack would easily stand up on its own but was I right to think so?

In short yes... the CD is full of all the songs you expect to find there as well as a few you probably didn't. The sound quality is fantastic and because of the popularity of many of the songs included is a perfect addition to any collection.

Track list
12. Memories - Harold Faltermeyer
13. Great Balls of Fire - Jerry Lee Lewis
14. You've lost that Lovin' Feeling - The Righteous Brothers
15. Playing with the Boys (Dance Mix) - Kenny Loggins

Now I can't say I dislike any of the songs on the album but I certainly do have my favourites and it is these I have dissected a little below.

POSITION 1 - Playing with the Boys (Track 3)
As you can see this is my favourite song on the entire album. It is strong and powerful and always brings forward pleasant memories of the films volleyball scene, which can never be a bad thing. The song also has a strong steady beat, a catchy tune and fantastic lyrics that always have me singing along. The only annoying thing about this song, well the annoying thing about it for everyone else in my house, is that I find myself constantly humming the tune. This song for me therefore is always going to be my favourite and to make sure I never forget it my Air Cadet Squadron seem to have adopted it as there song too.

POSITION 2 - Danger Zone (Track 1)
Danger is a strong powerful rock like ballad with some strong drumbeats to match. It is also the perfect driving anthem and is something I always sing too. The lyrics are once again classic and I'm sure most people know them without really realising it. The song is basically one about a love for an aircraft but I suppose they could be interpreted other ways. I'm not too sure what else to say really because the song is simply brilliant it is a solid classic and because of its repeat play in the film really does stick in your head.

POSITION 3 - Destination Unknown (Track 9)
This song is more subtle than most on the album and for this reason features highly in my opinion. The opinion few bars of the music are slow and steady but the song picks up pace as it progresses making it a brilliant tune. The lyrics are brilliant to sing along to as well and when you listen to them really done seem to tell you something about the film.

POSITION 4 - Top Gun Anthem
Now this just had to be in there didn't it. I'm sure everyone who's ever seen the film knows this instrumental piece. It is quite 'jazzy' with fantastic guitar solos and a steady pace. More than anything I think I like it for its simplicity as the same tune is repeated a lot but to tremendous effect. A classic song.

I won't bore you by dissecting every other tune on the album but what I will say is that the album itself is one full of strong links that are great to listen to at home or on the move. Most of the songs will make you remember moments in the film, if you have seen it, but even if they do not they will certainly be songs you will remember and songs you will love.

• lillamarta published 07/09/2008
    I used to have this album, didn't know it came out again. x
  • JAVER1967 published 07/09/2008