Home > Ciao Café > Members' Picks > Top Ten Films Of All Time > Reviews

princesss... 5

princesssoapy

Member since:03.06.2001

My favourite films of all time

09.05.2002

Advantages:
see op

Disadvantages:
see op

23 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. Pumpkin
  2. Mickie26
  3. Critchyboy

This is a hard one to limit to just 10 so in no particular order here they are:

1. SCREAM (1996)

This is a most excellent horror that actually takes the "P" out of horrors as well as being scary!

Directed by Wes Craven famous for A nightmare on Elm Street (see later in op) its catch phrase is "Don't Answer The Phone. Don't Open The Door. Don't Try To Escape"
As with all good horrors, in this film a psychopathic serial killer is stalking a group of teens. I liked this film as I found it was funny, of course its also gory but I especially liked the beginning when Drew Barrymores character is the first victim! Neve Campbell stars as Sidney Prescott and it also has "Mr and Mrs Cox-Arquette" or Courtney Cox and David Arquette as they were known. The sequels were great too well the third one was and the second one was only a bridge to get to the third really.

2. GROUNDHOG DAY (1993)

My favourite comedy of all time, I have seen this film so many times I think I know all the words and I would watch it again now if I was sitting in front of the TV and not the PC.

Weatherman Phil Connors goes to Punxatawney, Philadelphia everyyear to cover the groundhog day festival that is held there. He is a very sarcastic man and hates this little town, the groundhog and every person in the town. Groundhog day arrives and you here the clock radio play Sonny and Cher "I've got you babe" he gets up and goes to the festival to film his report for Channel 9 Pittsburgh. After he is done filming he then goes and get drunk, when he wakes the next morning he thinks that the radio station is playing yesterdays tape as its the same song and everything then he suddenly realises that he everything is the same. It then dawns on him that he is stuck in that hateful town in the same day that just happens to be GROUNDHOG DAY, this is a hilarious film and if you haven't seen it yet you must. Its not just once that he is stuck though he must have been there for a few months in the duration of this film. Get your whole family watching it as its I only a PG.

3. THE USUAL SUSPECTS (1995)

In New York 5 villains (the usual suspects) are rounded up by police in a way that worries them. After release, they arrange their revenge. "Keyser Soze" is at the heart of this movie and all the twists and turns lead you up the wrong paths, I love films where at the end you say to yourself "ah yes that was obvious" and "if only I had guessed and then you want to watch the film all over again.
This film stars Gabriel Byrne, Kevin Spacey and Stephen Baldwin to name only a few of this brilliant cast. I have watched this film many times but the first was the best because of the big twist.

4. MEMENTO (2000)

Guy Pearce stars in this intriguing film about a man, suffering from short-term memory loss, who uses notes and tattoos to hunt down his wife's killer. The twists and turns in this film are brilliant. A must see. A film that you will not forget in a hurry. I can't really say much more for fear of giving too much away.

5. A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (1984)

Scary in its time, laughable now! After watching this when I was still at school, I couldn't go to sleep one night for fear of Freddy Krueger being under my bed and having a bath was scary too, I guess that is why it had an 18 certificate.

The main character Nancy is having nightmares about Freddy Krueger, who looks very menacing because he is badly-scarred and wears a glove with razor-sharp knives like fingers. Then she discovers that her friends are having the same nightmares. Some of her friends get killed and Nancy knows that she must not under any circumstances go to sleep but it gets impossible to stay awake. When she realises the identity of this nightmare killer and his connection with the children of Elm Street, Nancy draws up a plan to get him out into the her world.

Simple plot effectively scary in its time. Wes Craven is the horror film director of the last 20 years.

6.SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION (1994)

Starring Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman, directed by Frank Darabont. The main character Andy Dufresne is a young and successful banker whose life changes totally when he is convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of his wife and her lover. Starting in the 1940's, the film shows how Andy adjust to prison life to make the most of it and with his friend Red's help he turns out to be a most unconventional prisoner. I won't give anything away as that would spoil it for the few of you that may not have watched this marvellous film.

7. PSYCHO (1960)

Hitchcock at his best. I love all the Hitchcock films I have seen for example Birds and North by North west but nothing compares with Psycho.

The plot for people that haven't watched this truly amazing film is, Marion Crane works at a Real Estate Office in Arizona. She wants Sam, her boyfriend to marry her. There is one problem though they don't have enough money to get married, since Sam is still paying money to his ex-wife. One day a rich oil tycoon, comes to the office to give Lowery $40,000 to buy a house for his daughter. Lowery asks Marion to deposit the cash and she of course says she will. Instead, she packs up and heads for Fairvale to see Sam, with the money in her bag. This is where she makes a big mistake and ends up at the Bates Motel where she meets Norman Bates, a troubled young man who is strangely obsessed with his mother. After Norman gives Marion dinner, she goes back to her room for a shower. Now I am asuming that I don't have to tell you what happens in the shower!!! The film may be old but its a true classic.
Anthony Perkins plays Norman Bates, Janet Leigh plays Marion Crane and if you watch it carefully you are bound to see Hitchcock himself pop up in the background as he does in all his films, in this film he is in a cowboy hat outside the office where Marion works.

8. PULP FICTION (1994)

Tarantino at his best! I love Tarantino's films but this was the first one I saw and so stands out as the best one.

I think its memorable for me because I saw it just by chance at the cinema and when I walked out after the film I couldn't make head nor tail of what went on. Since then I have watched it around 50 times and everytime I watch it I pick up on something that I have previously missed.

Its several stories in one film that all coincide with one another, Bruce Willis plays a boxer called Butch, John Travolta and Samuel L Jackson play. It also stars Uma Thurman, Harvey Keitel Tim Roth and loads more big names - mostly in little parts. The thing about this film is that you have to watch it carefully as it keeps going back and forth in time and in the final scene you can suddenly think to yourself "yes that's why such and such happened". A little pointer if you get a chance to see this film look out for the scene after they shoot the guy whilst driving, when they open the boot you have to be quick but you can see something horrid in that boot. Tarantino likes to have small roles in his films and appears in this film as Jimmie Dimmick.

Again like Hitchcock films I like all Tarantino has done like Reservoir Dogs and From Dusk to Dawn.

9. DIE HARD (1988)

Starring Bruce Willis as John Mclane a New York cop who gets involved when an office building is taken over by terrorists and everyone in it including his wife is a hostage. John has his own ideas for stopping the terrorists. Bruce Willis at his best I think! The sequels were nearly as good but nothing beats the original.

10. LETHAL WEAPON (1987)

Another excellent film and if you haven't seen it what have you been doing with your life. Mel Gibson is great and Danny Glover is too.
LA cop, Martin Riggs, has suicidal tendencies and poor old Roger Murtaugh is whom Riggs is partnered with. They work well together and when they uncover a drugs operation they have to admit they actually like each other. This film is just the start of the comedic duo as the sequels show. Mel Gibson plays Riggs and Danny Glover plays Murtaugh. Again the sequels were good but this is the original.

Please note that I nearly added Four Weddings and a Funeral, Bridget Jones's Diary, Basic Instinct and The Pledge as these are great films too and not forgetting the sequels to Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Scream and A Nightmare on Elm Street. A top ten of films is a very hard thing to do especialy as I love Horror, Thrillers and comedy as well. I obtained cast lists from IMDB website which is a very helpful film review website and it also refreshed my memory as to which films to put in to this op.

Thanks for reading

Amanda

Write your own review Report a problem with this review’s content

gearysgirl 22.10.2002 00:35

Uh some excellent films there :) Pulp Fiction is a classic!

pixiedon 24.05.2002 01:18

Oh I forgot that it was you who recommeded Memento. It did my boyfriend's head in when we watched it on Sky Premier at the weekend LOL Good film but very odd.

aaron 18.05.2002 22:31

I reckon a lot of them films could rate in my top 10 or so. Interesting reading :->