Toshiba 28W93

Toshiba 28W93

Review of "Toshiba 28W93"

published 07/04/2001 | millec199
Member since : 12/01/2001
Pro Cheap, good sound, great picture
Cons Slightly large

"The Best at the Price"

I have owned my Toshiba 28W93B for about 6 months now and I can truly say that it is the best for the price around.

It is the cheapest widescreen TV that Toshiba make but it still has all of the usual features a great picture and more importantly great sound.

The TV is in my households’ main living room and although quite a lot bigger than our old set it does not look too imposing. It is a standard black with a 28" 16:9 widescreen screen. The picture is sharp and it has all of the widescreen modes that you want (so you can fill the screen with a standard 4:3 picture or make a 2.35:1 picture appear with no borders).

What does stand this TV above the rest is it's sound. Quality and power are delivered with a very high output of 20W RMS per channel. Just to compare the standard Sanyo 28" widescreen has 12W MPO that works out at roughly 8W RMS per channel. I would have liked to go for the Dolby Pro-Logic version but my parents did not want rear speakers and anyway the room is not the right shape for a good pro-logic set up.

Overall this TV has impressed me greatly as it looks and sounds very good. If this is Toshibas cheapest widescreen I would like to see the quality of their more expensive ranges.

In response to comments,

The Toshiba has 2 scart connections with Scart 1 being RGB compatible as well as the standard RF in. It also has a set of front Composite Video inputs on the front for connection of a games console or a video camera. Unfortunately there is not S-Video in but that is not expected on a budget TV.

As price goes I picked this TV up cheap from www.intersaver.co.uk for just under £400 as I did not want a stand. This was the only place selling the TV without a stand and I also got a free Samsung DVD511 DVD player with it as well. This was a special offer that I think has ended now but it was a great deal. I don't know too many current prices but i have seen it for under £390 at www.empiredirect.co.uk.

This review was read 1909 times and was rated at

• fluffy-bubblegum published 07/04/2001
    We would have rated VH if you included a price. If you decide to add a price, drop us an email and we'll re-rate. Thanks.
  • cjkace published 07/04/2001
    Would have rated higher if you had said what connections it supports (scart, svhs, composite) and stated the price. Cheers Craig

Product Information : Toshiba 28W93

Toshiba brings you technology that is sure to arouse the senses. Whether you are longing for your first HDTV or searching for your next DVD player Toshiba offers a wide range of products that will be sure to tempt you. Innovation, advanced technology, and convenience are built into each Toshiba Color Television. This TV is equipped with Nicam stereo that delivers CD Quality Stereo sound to your TV. The 28W93B automatically tunes in all channels in the correct order on TVs and video recorders (BBC 1 on Channel 1 etc.) and suggests solutions to common problems, such as 'Check aerial is connected'. Fastext enables quick access to key TV text pages using the red, green, yellow, and blue buttons on the remote control. NTSC Video Playback enables NTSC tapes to be viewed when played back on NTSC video recorder. Off Timer lets the user program the television to turn itself off.

Manufacturer: Toshiba