Toshiba Canvio Basics 1TB

Toshiba Canvio Basics 1TB

Review of "Toshiba Canvio Basics 1TB"

published 18/04/2017 | CoffeeQueen68
Member since : 08/01/2014
Pro Quick to transfer files over & easy to use.
Cons None
Memory / capacity
Reliability
Design
Ease of Installation

"May be basic, but is easy to use."

The external hard drive in its box.

The external hard drive in its box.

When I recently needed a new external hard drive, I browsed through the array of hard drives on Amazon to see what they had available. The one I finally opted for was the Toshiba 1TB Canvio Basics USB 3.0 Hard Drive.

Price and Packaging

I paid £47.93 for this. If you are Amazon Prime you get free delivery. At the time of writing this review, there is a used one for £3 cheaper, but I opted for the new one. The hard drive comes in a light green box with the Toshiba brand name in red, bold letters. There is a picture of the hard drive on the front of the box with basic instructions on the back of the box. The hard drive itself is well packaged inside the box inside plastic wrappering. The USB plug that comes with the hard drive is also securely done up. The USB lead is 3.0.
The Hard Drive

The hard drive is small enough and light enough to fit in your pocket or bag. It is quite thin too. It is light in weight too. According to the technical specifications on Amazon it says it weighs in at 231g. I did purchase a case with this too to keep it extra secure which holds the hard drive and the USB plug. There is no installation needed with this. Plugging one end into the hard drive and the other end into your PC or laptop USB port will bring up the Toshiba menu. I didn't have any problems when I first plugged mine into the computer.

When you get in the menu there is a PDF file which you can open which has the Toshiba Canvio Basics instructions and user guide. This is quite useful to read. It has a small pictorial guide to show you how what you get in the box and how to connect it to your computer or laptop. It also give easy to follow instructions on connecting it. It also gives advice on:-
  • Disconnecting your device
  • Further Advice
  • Frequently asked questions
  • Troubleshooting.
  • Toshiba Support.

Transferring files over
I find transferring files over very easy and simple to do, and find it pretty quick too. When the hard drive is connected to your computer and transferring files over, a little blue light will flash on it. I've got a very large music collection and have transferred folders over with hundreds of songs in each folder. And I've found they transfer over in just a minute or two. Likewise, I have a few films saved on my PC and have transferred the ones I love the most over to the hard drive. Although the films take a little longer to transfer across, I still think it's pretty quick to do. Once the files are on the hard drive, they are easy to open and quick to find my documents and files.Are there any problems?
I've not come across any major issues or problems with this as yet, and I've had this a few months now. The only slight niggle I do have is that sometimes, but not always, it freezes for a few seconds before working. But that's not a big problem.
My Thoughts

All in all, I do like this hard drive. It transfers files over quickly and easily, and I've not had any issues with it yet. It's small enough to carry around and is light in weight too. This is certainly one I'm glad I purchased. You can also buy this in 500GB, 2TB and 3TB, depending on your needs.

• mousy86 published 16/07/2017
    Great review x
  • SirJoseph published 29/04/2017
    Good job, we use these at work
  • OneFat published 29/04/2017
    vh

offers "Toshiba Canvio Basics 1TB"