Some of you may know that a long time ago I spilt a drink over my lap top - not a good move, it was very reluctant to work after that! Ever since then I have been borrowing a lap top from my 19 year old brother whos generosity soon ran out.
Being skint (saving for wedding and moving house) I could not afford to buy a new one. Now I will finally admit what my husband has been saying for years... yes I admit it, my name is Lisa and I am addicted to the internet! So the lack of lap top and regular internet access has caused me some personal turmoil.
So you can imagine my delight... a free lap top. THANK YOU Carphone Warehouse!
The burning question - why was it free?
Basically my husband's phone contract
with 3 was coming to an end and we took advantage of an offer at Carphone Warehouse whereby if you take a phone contract you get a free lap top - yay!
Now there are pros and cons of this deal, but overall for us the pros far outway the cons, so a deal was made, a contract taken out and my husband has one very happy wife! Good news for everyone I can tell you!
Now I would love to give you all of this information here, but i'm afraid if I do I will be told that this review is not about the deal I got, but about the lap top I am using to write this review right now... and you would be right. However, I will say if you're interested in a deal like this yourself, you will find all of the deals in branch, not online and you can not only get a deal with free lap top, but also all of the latest games consoles
Where i'm coming from - my expertise, or rather lack of with computers
Now I would never admit to being a technical expert on computers, lap tops etc. So please bear in mind when I write this review that I use a computer for personal use (mostly). The main things I tend to use the lap top for will include; downloading films and tv shows, internet shopping, cashback sites, word processing, facebook, managing photos, word processing, and poster or leaflet design.
Now I will be listing all of the main features and where I can will give you my opinion. For those computer experts out there if there's anything I have not commented on, I will have given you the technical bit so hopefully you will be able to form your own opinion.
- Technology type : Intel® Centrino® processor technology featuring Intel® Core 2 Duo Processor T5800, Intel® GM45 Express chipset and Intel® WiFi Link 5100
- clock speed : 2.00 GHz
- front side bus : 800 MHz
- 2nd level cache : 2 MB
Now I belive all of the above affects the speed of the lap top. The lap top is super fast... when I am not downloading at the same time. Now we have awful connection to the internet (we have moved in with my parents and i'm afraid they're living in the dark ages!), so the speed of the lap top is obviously affected by this. When i'm using the net I would normally have about five screens open at once and it is really really quick. At times I will have 20 screens open and have had no speed issues at all. When I am downloading it could take 10 minutes for the next screen to appear. My solution to this is to download when i'm not using the computer, so this tends to take place when i'm not at home or at night. Might not work for everyone, but it suits me just fine.
* Operating system Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition (pre-installed, Toshiba-HDD recovery)
Vista, now I had heard so much about it, but had never experienced it for myself. Truth is, I quite like it though it takes some getting used to. For those who haven't grown up with computers it may take longer to get used to. However, if you're like me then you'll just get on with it and learn to love it.Vista came pre-installed and I have had no problems with it at all.
- System memory standard : 3,072 (2,048 + 1,024) MB
- maximum expandability : 8,192 MB
- technology : DDR2 RAM (800 MHz)
- Hard disk capacity : 160 GB
- certification : S.M.A.R.T.
- drive rotation : 5,400 rpm
Now i've had this lap top about a month and there's still loads of room on it. I hear you saying yes there should be, and well yes I totally agree. However, please do bear in mind that I now have on it all of my photos from the last five years and about 20 full series of tv programmes
... and even I know that is a lot! I'm told that this is not the best way to store things, but I haven't mastered the transfering of the information yet. I'll let you know when I start running out of room! Maybe if you like to do the same kind of things as me on the internet, then this will have enough memory for you too.
- DVD Super Multi drive (Double Layer) compatibility : CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-R(DL), DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R(DL), DVD+RW, DVD-RAM
- maximum speed : Read: 24x CD-ROM, 8x DVD-ROM/ Write: 24x CD-R, 4x CD-RW, 10x HS CD-RW, 24x US CD-RW, 8x DVD-R, 6x DVD-R (Double Layer), 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+R, 6x DVD+R (Double Layer), 8x DVD+RW, 5x DVD-RAM
- type : DVD Super Multi (Double Layer) drive
I haven't used any of these features yet. For me I am just pleased that they exist, so that it gives me the opportunity to learn!
- Display size : 15.4 "
- type : Toshiba TruBrite® WXGA TFT High Brightness display
- internal resolution : 1,280 x 800
The screen on the lap top feels rather large really. It is wide screen and i'm impressed.
- Graphics adapter manufacturer : Intel®
- type : Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD
- memory : up to 1,340 MB total available graphics memory with 4 GB system memory
- memory type : shared
You get really good images on the lap top, both with photos, films, surfing websites. I have already mentioned that I am no expert, however, I will say that I am really happy in comparison with my previous lap top (Fujitsu Siemens).
- Internal video modes
- Max External Video Modes Max Resolution : 2,048 x 1,536
- Max Refresh Rate : 85 Hz
- Non-interlaced resolution with max refresh rate : 1,600 x 1,200
I have very limited understanding of this, but as above I would say that I watch progammes on the lap top with no problems. It displays a really clear picture - better than my television.
* 1 x
integrated VGA Web Camera
with built-in microphoneNow I have never used this and to be honest probably never will, but it's a nice little extra to have.
- Expansion 2 x memory slots (1 to configure)
- 1 x ExpressCard slot
Pretty standard I think, no problems.
- Wireless communication Compliancy : Wi-Fi™
- Network Support : 802.11a/g/Draft-N
- Wireless Technology : Wireless LAN (802.11a/g/Draft-N)
- Wired communication topology : Fast Ethernet LAN
- speed : 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX
- topology : international V.90 modem (V.92 ready)
- speed : 56 Kbps data and 14.4 Kbps fax
I picked up out internet connection straight away, and some other people's down the street (they really should secure their networks!). Never had problem with the wireless, well apart from when someone disconnected ithe router and never told me.
- Sound system supported audio format : 24-bit stereo
- speakers : built-in stereo speaker
- manufacturer : Toshiba Bass Enhanced Sound System
Great sound, goes really loud. Have not experienced any muffling or anything.
Standard stuff I think
- Keyboard keys : 87
- Windows keys : Yes
- Pointing device type : Touch Pad
- Battery technology : lithium-ion
- maximum life : up to 2h30min (Mobile Mark™ 2007)
- AC adaptor input voltage : autosensing AC adapter (100/240 V) for worldwide usage
Battery lasts as long as it says it does. I tend to keep it plugged in as I use it for long periods of times.
- Physical dimensions W x D x H : 362 x 267 x 33.0 (front) / 37.7 (rear) mm
- weight : starting at 2.49 kg
All correct, not to heavy, nice size. No complaints from me.
* Warranty 1-year international warranty. You can upgrade your standard warranty with Toshiba warranty
extension, uplift and all-risks insurance packs.Comes with standard warranty. I am happy enough with this. Hopefully will have no problems as I haven't paid any extra.
- Bundled software Toshiba Disc Creator
- Toshiba User's Manual
- Supervisor Password Utility
- Toshiba Assist
- Chicony Camera Assistant Software
- Toshiba DVD Player
- Ulead® DVD MovieFactory® for TOSHIBA
- Toshiba Face Recognition
- McAfee® Internet Security Suite - Toshiba Edition (includes free Internet updates for 30 days)
- Toshiba Recovery Disc Creator
- Microsoft® Works, Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 (free 60-day trial)
- Toshiba Value Added Package (Toshiba Power Saver, Toshiba Zooming Utility, Toshiba PC Diagnostic Tool, Toshiba Flash Cards, Toshiba Components
- Common Driver, Toshiba Accessibility, Toshiba Button Support)
- Google Software (Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer, Google Desktop, Picasa)
- Connectivity Doctor
- Toshiba utilities and drivers
- Toshiba EasyMedia Google Software (Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer, Google Desktop, Picasa)
- Toshiba TEMPRO Performance Tuning Service
- McAfee® Internet Security Suite - Toshiba Edition
- Toshiba Face Recognition
- Smart Display Support
- Toshiba Flash Cards
- Wireless LAN (802.11a/b/g/ Draft-N)
- Built-in camera & microphone
- Diversity Antenna
- Toshiba ConfigFree™
- Internal HD 720p support
Comes with everything you need to operate your lap top and a lot more besides I am sure. Internet security
McAffe and Microsoft Office
are only free trials, good to get you going, but you will need to renew after trial period. Personally I think Microsoft should come with all lap tops, I think it's daylight robbery... but that's another story!
The all important look
The lap top is quite sleek. Is in fashionable silver and black. Is pretty non offensive and there is nothing to dislike.
I have to be totally honest and say that my judgement of the lap top is clouded both by the fact that it was free and it has greatly fullfilled my internet addiction. However, it allows me to do everything I need and want to do online. The only drawback I have found is that I cannot surf the net and use the internet at the same time (well not unless I want to wait a week to log on to my email or something), but as I mentioned previously this may be in part due to our ancient internet connection. I also had this with my last computer, so is nothing new and I am happy to download when i'm not using the lap top.
If you are considering buying this lap top and will use it in similar ways to me, then I would say go for it. If you are considering nipping down to Carphone Warehouse as you need a new phone contract anyway, then I would say do not hesitate!!! Great deal for a great home use lap top.