Squidget 5

Squidget

Member since:29.11.2000

Toshiba or not Toshiba DVD is the question

30.12.2000

Advantages:
Excellent picture quality and they are lowering in price and are simple to use ans set up

Disadvantages:
DVD disc's are a little to expensive although they will probably lower in price as the revolutioon takes off

Picture Playback

7 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. rd123
  2. kleft
  3. RottenPumpkins

After a long fight with my partner of what I wanted for Christmas, I eventually plucked up the courage to ask for a DVD player.

This did not go down very well to begin with as he feels he is some sort of technical buff when it comes to gadgets. I think not! He is actually one of those kinds of people who has every gadget going but does not even know how they work. We have had our video for almost 5 years and he still does not know how to record with it!

So when I woke on Christmas morning to a fantastic DVD player I was pleasantly surprised at the model and make. It is very slim and sleek and goes very well with my TV and video in all black which was great cause most of them these days are silver.

The DVD player itself looks very sophisticated and comes complete with a remote control with batteries, a scart cable that connects directly to the TV no tuning is required (excellent no technical stuff yet) you also get a normal TV Ariel cable similar to that of a video but if you use the scart cable there is no use for it, there is also the mains lead adaptor that has a handy reinforced wire to ensure that the wires do not come loose if the machine is tugged from the socket for some reason, I see this is happening more and more on electrical goods these days, very handy.

When I looked at the remote and the player, I thought 'how on earth do I work this thing how does it tune in? I have never had a DVD player. So I did the most unusual thing for me and loads of other people I can bet, I read the instructions, which were in English only, how cool! They are very easy to follow and explain all the features in full and easy to follow simple terms.

This is when I found out no tuning was required, but I was till unsure what to do with it as I had never used a scart cable, and in the instructions it does not mention that scart is an automatic tuner, that was only pit fall about the instructions that I have found. So I connected the cable turned on the DVD and instantly a message appeared on the TV welcoming me to DVD by Toshiba, amazing or what I thought. That then gave me my next worry, I tried to change channels but it automatically goes back to your scart channel, I referred back to instructions and this is where I found out that it automatically goes to scart when DVD is on full power, to get back to normal TV just put it on standby, as simple as that that was my DVD player fully installed almost as easy as the kettle.

Now on to the features!

Picture Quality:

The qualities of DVD movies are simply outstanding, even on my TV, which is also about 5 years old. With crystal clear vision and sound to die for you will be glad you joined the DVD revolution. I am hooked and that is only after 5 days.

Remote control:

This has more functions available on it than the player itself and is almost daunting, especially to the non gadget minded (my partner) It is quite a big remote and has a slide open case that reveals even more buttons, the hidden ones are related more to the special features on the DVD's themselves and are only functional if that feature is available on the DVD, the instructions go into great detail on this and explain each feature very well. It takes two triple AAA batteries and these are also provided for set up.

Zoom:

This function is great for watching all movies especially if you fancy a close up of something, it zooms in up to three times, but I don't see any real need for it, but it is a good feature for the visually impaired, although it does cut out half of the screen when in full zoom mode.

Multi Angle:

This is an excellent feature only functional if the DVD has it on it, the best one I have acquired so far with this feature is 'Robbie Williams - Where Egos Dare' which also has loads of other advanced features on it. The purpose of this is when a little camera appears on your TV screen you press the angle button on the remote and you can view what you are watching from a different angle, it is so cool.

Subtitles:

No need for to explain what these are, they are a great feature for deaf people and are available in numerous languages (136 to be exact!), the list is endless. These are easy to turn on and off and this can be done any time during playback.

Audio:

This feature again is simple to use and allows you to set the sound just the way you like it, has Dolby Digital Surround, Bit stream and even an option again for people with difficulties in hearing.

There are also numerous features very similar to that of a CD player. It has repeat, random, skip forward and back, the purpose of them is to help you find parts of the movie or whatever you are watching much quicker.

You can also choose which language to view the DVD's actual menu in and again this can be any of the 136 available.

The instructions go into great detail about basic playback and advanced playback but even the advanced functions are easy to use, most of them are only available if the DVD has them available and a logo of the feature available appears on the screen, the logo looks exactly like the button so you know what one to press, it could not be easier than that now could it?

The actual player itself only has the features for basic playback and looks very similar to a CD player and even in some cases a video recorder. You have play, stop, rewind, forward, skip function, open and close and also the on / off standby button and that is the lot.

Apart from the DVD function the player can also play audio CD's and video CD's, this was an added bonus as Alex has a rare video CD he bought a few years ago that was never played, as he was advised that DVD was best way to keep it in mint condition so he was glad he managed to at last watch his pride and joy in superb and outstanding quality,

You will also encounter regional functions with all DVD players have, UK is region 2 only although you can get DVD discs from other countries that are multi regional, you can buy players with various regions but these tend to be very expensive, but never fear you can get your player chipped/hacked which is perfectly legal, or you can simply surf the net looking for DVD region cheats, these sites provides codes that enable you watch other region DVD's. The best region is 1 the is America's region and you can get there DVD's over the net at great prices and often long before they are in our shops.

So that is the Toshiba S2109B in a nutshell, very simple to use and a great looking model with excellent features, well worth waiting for and also the hassle in trying to convince that it would be a good buy.

So what you waiting for January sales have started and I am sure there will be many at bargain prices right now, they are not as expensive as they once were although there are many out there that are.

eclipse_racer14 26.06.2002 06:26

Really good opinion!All aspects have been mentioned!I might actually consider in buying one myself.

simba3 27.10.2001 16:20

A very clear and undastandable op.

tange 14.08.2001 13:37

Thanks for a great review...we are thinking of getting a new DVD player (we opted for a cheap and cheerful DVD eating one...big mistake!!) and I think we may try a Toshiba.