madriggie 5

madriggie

Member since:26.09.2003

I love my tots bots!

06.04.2004

Advantages:
v .  absorbant, saves lots of money

Disadvantages:
can take a while to dry

How leak proof are they?

Absorption

Do they stay up?

Fit around legs

11 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. mumsymary
  1. sandemp
  2. rusticgirl
  3. Shroud

Now I've only been using reusable nappies for a short while, but I got sick and tired of forking out money every week for disposable nappies, low income and all that means moeny could be better spent else where.

I'd always wanted to use cloth nappies but couldn't really afford to buy them, although cheaper over all than disposables, it can be a big out lay. Then I "discovered" the second hand market and now there is no stopping me.

I bought my tots bots off a very nice person in Denmark who wanted them to go to a new home for not a lot of money so home with me they came!

Right now to the nappies.
Tots bots come in several different versions and sizes.
Size 1 is a newborn nappy up to about 18lbs ish
Size 2 is for the 18lbs - 35lbs although these can be used as a birth to potty nappy (see futher down the page)
Size 3 is 35lbs up not sure what the upper limit to these would be.

There are several different varieties in colours to them as well.

White: these are the original nappies. They can be a bit bulky for day time use, so I use these as a very effective over night nappy with a booster.

Unbleached: as above, but not white!

Pastel: now these are the best! They have exotic names but basically, green, blue, orange, yellow, and pink! They are not as thick as the white ones but make a great day time nappy, and they look wonderful!

And last but not least there are two different ways of fastening them, with aplix or using a nappy nippa (a modern day pin!)

The nappy is constructed of five layers of terry with a built in flap which you fold to the middle for a girl and to the front for a boy, giving the best absorbance for each. They have elasticated waist and leg cuffs and you put them on just like a disposable. Also on the Size 1 nappy you get a built in liner (not sure what this is made of) to keep new born bums drier!

As I said above, Size 2 nappies can be used as a birth to potty . All you need to do is fold the front down (underneath the aplix if using that type) cross over the tabs and hold it all together with a nippa and away you go! I haven't done this my self yet, but intend to when we have our next kiddy! I have been told they can look a little bulky but babies soon grow and it saves the added cost of having to buy two sizes of nappy.

As far as washing and drying is concerned, I soak all my nappies in lavander oil and then wash them all at 60'c in a non bio washing powder and they come out all nice and clean. The main disadvantage to these nappies is that they can take a while to dry, I dry mine on a ceiling rack (even though i have a tumble drier), it takes a day to dry on there but as long as you have enough for one lot on and one lot in the wash you should be fine. If you chose to tumble dry then 2 hours on a low heat should be fine! The white and unbleached nappies do take slightly longer to dry as they are a slightly thicker nappy, the coloured one are quicker to dry but when I get them down from the drier, they are all dry so this doesn't really make any difference in the long run.

As these are cloth nappies they need a seperate wrap to keep baby dry, tots bots do their own wraps but others are avalible, I'm using motherease air rikka wraps and these are fine over my tots bots.

These nappies retail at about £6-8 and can be bought at various shops on the web including tots bots own web site. But as I said earlier I got mine second hand off a web site called thenappylady. I got my whole set 13 nappies, boosters, wraps, liners, mesh bag and a wet bag for £59, which was a bargin but similar offers are out there if you look. I recomend it.

*Updated bit!*
I forgot these bits!
A few myths floating around so hear we go!
Its not really extra washing as you can wash them with your nomal washing, like I do, its no extra at all, if you don't find it hard to put the washing machine on then you won't find it hard to us these nappies! If like us you put the wahsing machine on every day, (with two kids you need to!) then its just so easy just to put them in with the wash.

I use a reusable fleece liner with my nappies, if its dirty then I just flush the mess down the toilet, most of it just rolls off the liner, if some sticks run it under the tap, throw it in the nappy bin, easy! No scrapping involved here! You can also get flushable liners, easier still just take it off the nappy and straight down the toilet and thats it!

Babies don't get nappy rash more with cloth nappies than they do with disposable, tests have proved this, if any thing, cloth nappy babies get it less as you are more aware that your baby needs changing and are not inclined to leave them in the nappy longer than you should.

Well that was abit epical, but I hope I gave all the information you would need on using these nappies. If I've left any thing off then please leave a message and I'll add it on!

Shroud 05.03.2007 17:24

They are great if you have a dryer :)

srushsa 21.09.2005 02:21

They sound lovely! What a great review. I use Kushies but need the next size now, I am thinking of trying a few Tots Bots and Cotton Bottoms to see what they are like (nappyaholic in the making......?) sara x

ronica90 01.05.2004 00:01

Welcome to the world of cloth nappies. Just don't get too addicted to buying loads of different nappies!!!! Tots bots are great nice to see more poeple are using them :)