Review of "Toy Story (PC)"

published 03/08/2009 | Mistybrook
Member since : 04/08/2008
Thank you for reading my reviews. I'm always happy to rate back. Thanks everyone for the congrats on my diamond :D
Pro Good gameplay, alright graphics, fun for the kids.
Cons Unmemorable music, will become quickly boring to adults.
Gameplay/Playability
Graphics
Sound
Difficulty & Complexity

"Toy Story: One for the children."

Age Rating: 3+
Around £3 - £5 on Ebay.co.uk.

Minimum Requirements:
Double Speed (2x) CD-ROM Drive.
486DX2-66MHz or faster processor.
8MB of available RAMC12MB recommended.
10MB free disk space.
Microsoft Windows Version 3.1 or later (Windows 95 compatible).
8-bit sound card.
256 colour Vesa, Pci or other local bus video.
(There is no multi-player)

I'm sure everyone's seen or at least heard of Disney's Toy Story movie which is about toys coming to life when the humans are not around. This is a video game following the storyline and creating fun levels to play. I'd had bought this years ago when I was younger and had promptly given up after becoming stuck on one of the earlier levels, four to six years later and a pound sign next to the title on Ciao! (It's all about the money) I'm loading up the game on my laptop.

The main character is a cowboy doll called Woody, several other toys and himself are owned by Andy and on the human’s birthday he receives a new action figure, Buzz. Buzz is an intergalactic space man and instantly Woody becomes jealous when Andy replaces him for Buzz. The game follows the Toy Story movie about how Woody tries to get Buzz out of the picture and how the toys live their lives.

There are seventeen levels in all and each one begins with pictures from the movie with pieces of text explaining the level and what is happening right now in the story, and once you have completed the tasks will end with Woody... dancing in the middle of a black screen (he scares me sometimes when he does that.). The only basic way to describe this game is a side scroller platformer.

Game play is simple enough to understand and control, A is for Woody's attack, S is for jump, arrow keys to move and the enter key to pause. There is some problems with jumping and the background though, it's hard to see which objects are there to be jumped on (if they aren't then certain stages mean you fall to your-lose-a-health-point death as I have experienced many, several tries later times).

The graphics aren't the best in the video game world but I found it alright to look at and the younger generation won't care about it just as long as they can see what they are doing. Background graphics are a little lacking in some aspects though since the objects in the background are repeated several times as you progress in the level, but the scenes change to new and different ones in each level.

Sound effects mainly consist of the toys movements, Woody yelling out when he got hurt and whenever he knocks something down, and I can't really remember what the music was like, even though I played it only an hour ago, it wasn‘t very memorable.

It took me a day to complete this but since I was playing almost non-stop (it did make me slightly weary of the game after an hour), it'd take someone around two days if they were playing it on and off. I found most of it enjoyable for awhile since it reminded me of my younger Disney obsessed days but it wouldn't be something I would play over and over again.

I'd mainly recommend this to my younger relations or friends who have young children, adults might enjoy playing this once or twice but will soon easily tire of it. Children will love playing this several times though!

• hillhead published 20/11/2009
    Sounds a good little game.
  • catsholiday published 29/08/2009