Toyota MR2 Roadster

Toyota MR2 Roadster

Convertible - Petrol, Diesel

Review of "Toyota MR2 Roadster"

published 08/02/2011 | simplesimon123
Member since : 08/02/2011
Pro Cheap to run - good on petrol - sublime handling
Cons Straight line acceleration a bit lack lustre
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption

"Great car"

I did a lot of research prior to purchase and ended up at the MR2 Roadster owners club, which was so full of doom and gloom that I gave up the whole idea.
Then, after about six weeks, seeing that the car I had my eye on was still on the dealers forecourt, I thought to hell with it, and took the plunge.
It's a 2000 model, one of the first.
All I can say is, I am glad I bought it.
Mines now done 62,000 miles, 12,000 of which have been done by me in about a year of ownership.
A mechaninc friend of mine, who's owned three of these, told me that a lot of the problems stem from poor owner maintenance.
First fact - these engines do use a bit of oil.
Someone not used to that, might not check it at all between services.
He told me he'd seen one car with engine failure, and there was virtually no oil.
When the lady was asked when she last checked it, her reply was "I leave that to the garage"
Bear in mind that when you read these doom and gloom stories, you may not be getting the whole picture.
Secondly, these engines are very oil sensitive.
As they got older, owners didn't take them for main dealer servicing anymore, opting instead for the cheaper small garage services.
The problem there is that unless you specify the proper oil (5W-30), it is very likely the mechanic is just going to stick straight 10W-40 in it, which is too thick and will eventually cause problems.
Back to my car, and what has really impressed me is the fuel consumption.
My day to day grind see's me returning 38mpg, and on a long constant speed run at sensible speeds, I'm getting 45mpg.
Fun is what this car is all about though, and it certainly delivers that.
Yeah OK it doesn't have a boot, blah blah blah but come on.
Who buys a two seater roadster with practicality in mind.
I use my car every day for work and pleasure and it's fine.
OK so the weekly supermarket shop has to be spread about a bit, but it's OK.
I've heard people say it's a bit twitchy in the wet, but I've never found it to be so.
For long trips I have a rack, onto which I can strap a decent size suitcase.
In summary, I would say, take all the doom and gloom stories with a sack of salt and buy one.
Make sure when you test drive, you have someone follow just to make sure there is no smoking, and if there isn't, and it's not losing power, you're in business.
Just make sure you check the oil regularly, and enjoy.