Review of "Toyota Previa"

published 13/05/2006 | joannewheldon
Member since : 28/02/2006
Pro loads
Cons you can't say you don't have room for people that want a lift.
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"Toyota Previa 8 seater"

I can't tell you any technical jargon about this MPV, mainly because I can't drive. But I can tell you what I think from a passenger's point of view,

Right well where do I start?

Spacious:
Now that's an understatement. There are 6 seats in the back, in two sets of three, one behind the other. The middle seat has a section that tilts forward so you can pass by to get into the back, unlike a lot of MPVs where you have to clamber over the other seats or climb in through the boot.
You don't have to use it as an 8 seater, not only do all the rear seats lie down flat to form a bed, but the rear back seats split in half so that you can lift them up individually, sideways against the side of the car, giving you even more room in the boot. You don't have to lift both seats if you don't want to, because each section is stabilised so that it stands on its own.
So as I have said you have the options of an 8 seater with quite a large boot, a 6 seater with a huge boot or, a 5 seater with a massive boot.

Comfort:
When it comes to travelling, the seats are extremely comfortable, I have fell asleep in the passenger seat many times, not as many times as the kids have in the back though. Both the drivers and front passenger seats have arm rests that can be adjusted to the required height. And as with most cars the seats recline to a number of positions, for even more comfort. The rear seats recline aswell, so that tired children can relax in the back.

Safety:
For the rear of the car there is one sliding door an the passengers side, so if you have a lot of kids all trying to get in the car at the same time, none of them are standing on the road waiting.

Leg room:
Brilliant, the middle seats can be moved forward to give extra leg room in the rear, or moved back to give extra legroom in the middle; it all depends on how you want to have them.

Towing capability:
Well lets put it this way, not only is it capable of towing any single axle caravan, but a friends car had been parked on our driveway for so long, the wheels seized up on it, but it had no choice in the matter, our car said it was going to move and it did.

Personally when we go out as a family there are normally five of us in the car, 2 adults and 3 kids, 11 yr old, 9 yr old and a 2 yr old. The youngest is in her car seat in the middle seats and the eldest are in the rear seats. But if the eldest two start fighting and arguing like most siblings do, we just separate them and put one in the middle.
Last year we went on holiday and took my mum and my teenage sister with us aswell. That's 3 adults, 1 young lady and 3 kids, or out another way 1male and 6 females, complete with enough luggage for a month and the buggy and play pen for the little one. All travelling comfortable and not squashed, for 5 ½ hours.

• salem_witch published 31/05/2006
    That's great you can split them up if they start to fight. My parents would have loved to be able to do that years ago lol
  • fabfrog5 published 25/05/2006
    good to hear your points as a passenger - as a driver i often forget about the comfort of others! good review! :) x
  • Kittys_gremlin published 15/05/2006
    I love people carriers, they're so comfy & I'll definately be buying one when I pass my test. Nice easy to read and understand review. x