Travel Inn Manhattan, New York City

Travel Inn Manhattan, New York City

Hotel - 515 W. 42nd St., New York City, NY 10036, USA - 2 Stars - 160 Rooms

Review of "Travel Inn Manhattan, New York City"

published 27/11/2005 | KELLYLOUJ
Member since : 21/07/2005
Have worked in the Travel Industry for over 10 years, now a stay at home mum looking after my hardworking hubby and son.
Pro Convenient Location, Reasonable Costs, Clean
Cleanliness

" Travel Inn Style"

Location of The Travel Inn

Location of The Travel Inn

As I prepare for my trip to New York this upcoming week I decided to review the previous hotel that I stayed in for a long weekend in November back in 2003, The Travel Inn.

I was not originally meant to be staying at the Travel Inn as I had booked the four of us into the Hotel Newton which was located on 2528 Broadway and had a 1 star rating and at the time I did not realise how far this hotel was located from the Times Square area, and on arrival we were all beginning to worry about the distance to all the tourist facilities. On this occasion we were lucky, due to problems with existing guests we arrived at the hotel to check-in only to be told that there was no room and we were being transferred to a better hotel in a better location......BRILLIANT!!

The Travel Inn was our next location and the Hotel Newton even paid for us to have a transfer over to the hotel which was another added bonus, so off we popped in another yellow cab to the Travel Inn.

As you walk through the reception area you are greeted by a member of staff who checks your booking as we had been transferred by the Hotel Newton they already had all the details that they required and the check-in process was extremely smooth, we provided names and address of each person staying in the Quad room and I provided a credit card imprint should there be any charges once we check-out and leave the room.
The lift is located next to reception and although is small fits at least 3 people comfortably with their entire luggage or 5 Adult passengers. One of my friends has a fear of lifts so he decided to take the stairs up to the room.

Our room was located on the 3rd floor overlooking the outdoor swimming pool

The Location:-
515 West, 42nd Street, New York 10036. If you have never ever been to New York then this will barely make any sense to you as it didn't to me when I booked the Hotel Newton which was miles away so to guide those of you that haven't been before, The Travel Inn is located just 3 blocks away from Times Square taking approximately 15 minutes to get into the centre of Times Square from our hotel, it is also located close to the subway which is a fantastic form of transport to get you to all of the sights as quickly as possible.
The hotel is also 6 blocks away from Grand Central Station offering excellent connections to the John F Kennedy Airport which is approx 30kms away.

The Rooms:-
The Travel Inn has 159 rooms located on 6 floors that are well maintained and well decorated and all come with basic amenities that you require when on holiday and put it this way when you go to somewhere as magical as New York you do not spend hardly any time in your hotel room as there is just so much to see and do.

They offer:
Single Rooms
Double Rooms
Twin Rooms
Triple Rooms
Quad Rooms
Non -smoking rooms

All rooms come with the following as standard:-
• Air Conditioning
• Television complete with satellite
• Radio Alarm Clock
• Direct Dial Telephone
• Hairdryer
• Ensuite with bath and over head shower
• Security chain to the door with peep hole for added security
• Large built in wardrobes with overhead shelf providing plenty of storage options
• Desk area complete with stationary and drawer storage and dataport
• Bedside table with drawer storage
• Iron and Ironing Board

As there were four of us we decided to stay in a Quad room which would work out slightly cheaper than getting two separate rooms and we thought if we planned a schedule for use of the bathroom there would not be any problems, we were issued with two key cards for entry in to the rooms and you could also leave them with reception if you did not want to carry them about with you which was an added bonus as I have a habit of misplacing things.

Earliest Check-in is 3pm and check-out is approximately 12pm but if you need a late check-out this can be arranged at the reception area, they may charge subject to the time required and provided that they do not have new guests arriving that require that room.

Overall my opinion of this hotel is fantastic and I considered going back there this year but there was not the availability and as I was transferred by the Hotel Newton am not sure how much the actual stay was as this hotel was a 2 star rating compared to the Newton's 1 star rating so there surely was a difference in the cost.
I priced it for next year for the same time that I am going this year 30 Nov and it gave me a costing of £224 per person for a total of 5 nights stay which is excellent value for money as good hotels at good prices are hard to come by in New York.

I recommend everyone to take a look at this hotel when planning a trip to New York in the busy holiday periods as it is excellent value for money at a top notch location and the only disappointment we had was that there was not a restaurant located within the hotel and we had to walk across the road to the local restaurants but this as you will realise is not a major problem as you will eat at many locations during your time there and there are so many places to choose from you will never go hungry, an added bonus of this hotel if you have a sweet tooth like we did was that they have a small shop located in the lobby area which sells most items from toiletries, magazines, souvenirs and sweets and located on each floor is a vending machine area offering cold drinks and crisps and chocolate and sweeties… perfect for late night munchies after the fantastic cocktails in Planet Hollywood!!!

• purdy published 15/01/2006
    Hiya - Do you have a link for this hotel - we are contemplating NYC over St Pats BUT getting decently priced and decent standard hotel was proving hard! Great review! Heather
  • kollarosie published 03/12/2005
    Very informative review and unbelievable value for money for Manhattan.
  • baby_uk published 30/11/2005