Travelodge Regent House Stockport, Stockport

Travelodge Regent House Stockport, Stockport

Review of "Travelodge Regent House Stockport, Stockport"

published 20/03/2017 | raspberry_ripple
Member since : 27/02/2016
I try to keep my reviews a little light hearted because that's my character and approach on most things. I'm not an English teacher, I didn't "stick in school" so my grammar isn't the best but I feel my reviews are true to my experiences.
Pro Central, easy to find, access to travel
Cons Cleaners are sneaky!

"Cheap and Cheerful!"

SK4 1BS
United Kingdom
Tel: 08715 591890

About

The travel lodge in Stockport is one of the newer ones having only opened in December 2016. It's central location makes it a great budget place to stay in my opinion, if you're a football fan it's only 15-20minutes drive away from Old Trafford or the Man City Stadium. Only 15-20 minutes drive from Manchester Airport for easy travel for people flying into Manchester. The Stockport Hat Works hat museum is literally 2 minutes walk up the road and is free self touring, guided tours will be charged for. The Mersey Way Shopping centre is a 2 minute walk across the road and there is a large car park just across the road.

The travel lodge has 86 rooms spread over 3 floors.

What I Booked and When We Stayed

I booked the travel lodge for 2 nights, Friday 17th and Saturday 18th March with check-out on Sunday 19th March. I booked a double room and paid extra for early check-in. It cost me a total of £81 and I booked and paid online.

How We Got There

I arranged a weekend away with my 10 year old niece as part of her Christmas gift, we've booked her first holiday abroad for October and she's never been on a plane so this trip gave us the opportunity for some quality Auntie/Niece time and for her to experience a short flight for her first time. We only stayed for 2 nights, checking in on the Friday and out again on the Sunday. We flew into Manchester airport via Aberdeen then caught a train to Manchester Piccadilly before jumping on another to Stockport Train Station. Stockport train station is only 10-15minutes on the train from Manchester Piccadilly. When we got to the train station, we exited out the city centre side of the station, you walk straight down a hill where a McDonald's is located on the corner, turn right and walk straight down the hill for about 5-8minutes and Regent House is on the left. The travel lodge was really easy to find and located very central, right across the road from the Mersey Way Shopping Centre, down the hill from the train station and round the corner from the bus station giving endless opportunity for exploring.

On Arrival

We arrived way to early, normal check-in for Travel Lodge is 3pm, you can however pay £10 extra for early check-in at 12pm. I did pay for early check-in, but I didn't expect to arrive at the airport 25 minutes early due to tail wind or expect to get trains right away, so we arrived at 9:30am haha. They didn't have a room ready for us, which I expected however they did store our luggage for us so we could go out and kill some time. We went for a wonder around the shops, found a nice wee cafe for some breakfast then headed back. On our way back we decided to go into the Hat Museum, which surprisingly wasn't too bad, it's quite interesting really and it's free so that killed an hour of our time. We got back to the hotel reception about 12:30pm to check-in to our room. The lady at the desk was polite and well spoken, she took my details (only my name was needed) and got our luggage and room key. We did have the option to get 2 keys but with my niece being only 10, it's not like we'd be out separately so we just took the one. We were given a room on the 2nd floor, there is stairs and lift access which was handy having our cases!

Entering Our Room

For anyone that's been in a travel lodge before, I can save you a little bit of reading and say the the room was bog standard travel lodge room, nothing different other than a Samsung heating/aircon system rather than a small radiator heater. And for the people that haven't stayed in a travel lodge before... We entered the room with our key card by simply tapping the card against the black panel on the handle. When we entered the room was well lit, painted neutral cream colour. The bathroom was to the right, this has a stand in shower, basin/sink and a toilet. Toilet roll, small waste bin, towels and all-in-one hand/body wash is supplied (I always use my own toiletries though). When you walk into the room itself, there is a king size bed, TV, desk, 2 chairs, few hangers and a full length mirror on the wall. On the desk there is a lamp, kettle and tea/coffee/sugar/milk and 2 mugs. As standard, there are 4 pillows on the bed, duvet and a runner along the bottom of the bed. The room is fitted with a Samsung heating/air-conditioning system which is located on the ceiling at the entrance to the room, neat the bottom of the bed and worked really well.

*The Shower - The shower was really easy to use and had great water pressure, I can't comment on the body wash that was supplied as I used my own but as a hand wash it was fine.

*The Toilet - The toilet had a button flusher which worked just fine, no problems or double flushes needed.

*The Bed - The bed was comfortable enough, the mattress was quite a hard one which was comfy enough but not great for my back in the long run (I use orthopaedic at home) but fine for a short break. Pillows were plump and really comfortable though and the duvet wasn't too thick.

*The Heating - The heating system worked really well and was easy to use. There's a small panel on the wall by the bed that you can control the temperature with or simply turn it on or off. It's something I've not seen in a travel lodge before, and I've stayed in quite a few different ones, I genuinely hope they upgrade the older ones with this system in the future and don't just save it for their new builds. it's much better than the small radiator you get in most of them.

*The kettle - It's good to have a good ole cup of tea in the morning when you wake up, the kettle works fine but unfortunately for me they supply those typhoo 1 cup tea bags which I find horrible so the tea wasn't to my taste, even after making it myself haha.

*The Television - The Tv was on the wall and came with a remote, it was a standard Samsung Tv that came with a good few channels on, it was like basic freeview channels which was sufficient for a short stay.

Facilities

Within the travel lodge by the front desk there is a bar that is open 24 hours, the prices aren't too expensive, what I'd consider the average prices in the UK, they've kept competitive. There is also a restaurant menu available from 5pm-10pm daily with a good range of food to choose from, starters, mains and deserts. We ate here on our first night because we were knackered from travelling and shopping, we had nachos to share and bother had burgers, I ordered a cider and a Pepsi for the little one and it came to £33 which I didn't think was too bad. The food was well cooked, didn't have to wait long and it was really tasty. There is a late night and lunch menu available too which is just pizza and sandwiches really but still something to nibble on if you so wish.

Breakfast is an option but not included unless you add it on when booking. There are several option for breakfast where you can order specific things from a menu or you can pay a standard breakfast charge (which I can't remember but it was less than a tenner) for the cooked items, cereals and breads that are set out. Personally, we just went out and grabbed something small in cafes for breakfast because we're not big morning eaters.

*Wifi is available in the travel lodge, you can get 30 minutes for free or pay £3 for 24 hours access to the network. It's not an overly expensive charge for the service but I feel in this day and age it's something that no hotel, no matter how big or small, should charge for now-a-days. I didn't pay for their wifi, I just used my mobile hotspot for surfing the web on my iPad if I needed to.

Hotel Cleanliness

The reception/bar area as a whole was kept very clean, as were the lifts and corridors. I couldn't fault those. The room as a whole was pretty clean, however, there was dust on the headboard which had definitely built up over a week or so and I had to clear it due to my niece being asthmatic. We used the shower and the towels in the morning before going out and when we returned to the room the bed had been made (not changed), the bin emptied and the bathroom had been given a quick clean. Now, it states on the towel rail that if you want fresh towels just to leave them in the shower or bath and they will be replaced. After showering I put all of our towels on the floor of the shower and when I checked later on, our used towels had just been put onto the towel rail again rather than us getting fresh ones. How do I know? I always plant a spot of lipstick on the corner of a towel just to see if they genuinely replace them or not. Sneaky, but it works. Shame on you travel lodge, you lose points for that. All the mirrors were clean though, which is a winner, nothing more annoying than someone else's finger marks all over the mirrors.

Staff

The staff we encountered were all generally friendly, no-one was rude but no-one went out of their way either. We received standard service, which is expected but I've been to some travel lodges with very friendly staff that always often offer more and I like that, you can tell they genuinely care about their job when they go the extra mile and I always think it warrants a tip. That being said, it wasn't a bad service other than the towels.

Price and Availability

Travel lodge prices vary all the time based on time of year, amount of nights required, demand and availability. Usually you can expect to pay anything from £29-£50 a night as a standard average up to £80 sometimes. It's usually a cheap and cheerful place to stay from nights away for gigs or booze weekend for me or if I just fancy getting out of my own city for a night or two but it's not somewhere I'd book for a full week. There are usually at least 1-3 travel lodge in most major cities, but Stockport only has this one.

Check-out

Checking out was easy, once we'd collected and packed all of our shopping and personal stuff we closed the door behind us and handed our key card into reception after I gave my name. Before doing that though, I pulled the key over the magnet on my phone case to clear the data on it. That's a tip I tell most people that haven't heard of it already, your details are on the keycard for any hotel, your room info could be just your name or could include all your booking details but putting these keys over a magnet clears all the data from it. I learned this by carrying a hotel key card in my phone case and it not working to get back in my room 3 times in one day, after getting frustrated the receptionist had asked me where i kept the card, when I said in my phone case you told me it was the magnet wiping the data. Oops, my bad!!

My Overall Opinion

Would I stay again? Despite the towel situation, I would stay here again. It was cheap and pleasant overall, it's somewhere low-cost that I can stay when I come to visit friends down here. It's central location is perfect for getting around or doing something within walking distance and if I decided to ever hire a car while down here then there is a 24hr car park just across the road. There's nothing bad what-so-ever about the location of the place.

I would recommend it to others but only for short stays, one or two nights, three at the very most. Anything longer, I'd say you're better to stay in a guest house or a higher grade hotel but for short stays where you want to cram lots into your short time, it's perfect.

4 stars from me, would have been 5 had they not placed dirty towels back on the rail rather than replacing them.

• afy9mab published 20/04/2017
    Excellent.
  • biriyanibabe published 11/04/2017
    you deserve an E but I have none sorry.
  • DanniiJ18 published 07/04/2017