Maharaja 2

Maharaja

Member since:21.07.2003

Meet the child of Push Pop and Pritt Stick.

02.10.2003

Advantages:
It smells nice

Disadvantages:
Waste of money, hard to use

Recommendable No:

Staying power

How does your hair feel after use?

Why did you buy it?

9 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. Ignatius
  2. Jeser
  3. Badger_Boy

Continuing to push boundaries in hair styling, Trevor ‘Guru of Grooming’ Sorbie gives us hair wax in stick form! I know many would prefer the moon on a stick, but this is a close second!

The Mg (Male Grooming) range is becoming a bit of a behemoth. In a few years there will be no other choice for men, it is all encompassing, all powerful and all without David Beckham’s (paid for) approval – eat your heart out Brylcreem!

***So what is a wax stick?***
It’s wax in stick form – duh! Think Push-Pop. You unscrew the cap, stick your finger up its inch wide bottom and push to dispense.
With the Mg range being pretty homogenous in certain ways, this is unsurprisingly a creamy colour and is quite solid. In terms of smell, it smells broadly like the rest of the Mg products, which is actually quite nice.

***What does it do?***
’It’s a stick up’ so it claims on the tube – think a styled ‘just got out of bed’ look with sheen (NOT a greasy ‘I haven’t washed my hair in days and I really have just got out of bed’ look!)
Being wax, you do get a slightly greasy look, although this is termed ‘sheen’ officially.

***How do you use it?***
The concept behind this is that it is easy to use and that through this stick system you shouldn’t end up wasting any as you only use as much as you need – unfortunately my experiences aren’t as clinical.
If you’ve ever wondered what life would be like if Push Pop had a child with a Pritt Stick, this is it – the child of an unholy union.

Unscrew the cap, push a bit of the wax out of the top and then apply to your hair – much as you would apply Pritt Stick to paper. Tweak hair as required, and voila, you’re done. Or are you?????

Quite honestly the concept is good, but the final product is rubbish. Trying to apply cold hard wax to your hair whilst bashing on your head as though it’s some kind of Blue Peter project is foolish! It’s much less ‘just got out of bed’ and much more ‘my neighbours 6 year old attacked me’.

You don't actually get enough wax in your hair to do anything useful, and it does end up giving you a few bruises! I eventually had to rub the wax onto my hand and then put it in my hair, but I threw the tube out after a few days, it's not worth the hassle - you can get much easier to use waxes, plus I switched to Mg Moulding Mud which is much better in terms of styling and what you get for your money.

***What’s the damage?***
Well, apart from the bruising, this costs £6.49 for 75ml and is available at all half decent Boots stores as well as Boots on line.
I have no idea how long it will last you as I gave up using it pretty quickly. I don’t recommend that you try and find out!

It comes in a graphite and silver tin, the same colour combo as the rest of the range. To know more go to www.trevorsorbie.com and find the product.

This range as a whole is very good and reliable, but this wax stick really is a complete gimmick and not a cheap one! If you want wax look else where, this is not worth the hassle or the money!

Jeser 20.10.2003 02:01

Really great op. Take care. Jonathan

JessL 02.10.2003 18:51

I use wax to smooth down my hair and I was hoping this would be good! x

Mattroberts 02.10.2003 10:07

I like the Mg products, but not tried this pacific one, Matt x