Tricity TJKSB10

Tricity TJKSB10

Kettle - Metal - Cordless - with Anticalc Filter - with Automatic Shut Off - Max Capacity:1.7 - Max Wattage:2200

Review of "Tricity TJKSB10"

published 02/06/2012 | claireylulu
Member since : 09/06/2010
Finally back :-) Might take me a while to get back into things. I have missed writing
Good
Pro very stylish, works - it boils water
Cons leaks when pouring, a bad build up of lime scale in a short time
Performance
User's Manual
Cleaning & Maintenance

"Tricity TJKSB10 - a stylish kettle but major faults"

Tricity Kettle

A nice cup of tea always puts a smile on our faces in our household. I will admit I do probably drink a bit too much tea but I enjoy it. So when our old trusty kettle of four years broke I had to go out the next morning and buy a new one. Unfortunately it was coming to the end of the month and money was tight so we opted for a cheaper kettle than previous. In our local Tesco store we picked up the Tricity TJKSB10 not only did the price impress us but so did the style. It had to be a win win didn’t it!

The Style

The Tricity kettle is a stainless steel kettle and although they are more difficult to keep looking clean than a plastic style one I prefer them. Unlike our last short and dumpy looking kettle this particular one is tall and thick looking. It has a very large thick black handle on the side which I thought would be great for holding on too. Also down the side is a clear water indicator which I think nearly all kettles come with. But this kettle is flasher with a blue illuminating indicator for when the kettle is switched on. Altogether I like the whole look of the kettle it is a bit different to other kettles on the market and looks strong and stylish.

The specifications

The Tricity TJKSB10 is a cordless kettle that sits on a round base which is plugged in. This stainless steel kettle has a capacity of 1.7 litres which is a good size and does our small family. As I have mentioned it is a large thick looking kettle and measures 26cms in height and roughly 16cms in width and is good and steady. The kettle comes with a water level indicator which is situated down the side near the handle. The leveller is measured in litres with a maximum level. As well as a water level indicator it also comes with a blue illuminating indicator to tell you when the kettle is in use. As we live in a small open plan cottage I can see the kettle from my living room so I can see when the light goes out if I don’t hear the kettle boil, it’s the little things! The kettle also comes with a lime scale filter to keep that at bay.

Usage

Opening the kettle is easy you pull back the small silver notch on the lid and it lifts up. You can then fill the kettle up with water watching the water level on the side to make sure it’s not too full. Then it’s a case of a flick of the switch down and away it goes. If the kettle is cold and is filled to maximum it does take just under five minutes to boil this particular kettle does not come with rapid boil.

My thoughts

On initial looks I loved the kettle it looks very stylish in my kitchen and goes with my theme of stainless steel and grey appliances. The blue light whilst in use just added to the stylish look of the product and entertains the kids they love waiting to watch it go off. But unfortunately that is where the good points end. Don’t get me wrong this kettle is usable and I guess I got what I paid for but it does have some negatives that take a bit of getting used to. Pouring this kettle has become an art if tipped too much it leaks and water spills all over the work top. It has to be poured slowly and carefully so no more quick cups of teas in the morning! This problem can be managed though although my fiancé wouldn’t agree he hates it. Dribbling seems to be an occurring problem with this product as when you open the lid water dribbles down the back of it.

The other problem this kettle has is a large build up of lime scale my old kettle was no were near as bad. The filter does stop it getting into your tea which is the main thing.

If I was buying another kettle I wouldn’t buy this particular one again but on the other hand I am not rushing out to replace it. It does have faults but it does work, it boils water perfectly fine.

Availability

I purchased this product from my local Tesco’s store for £19.97 currently reduced (May 2012) to £16.96. Is it worth nearly £20, I’m not too sure. You can get cheaper kettles that work as well if not better but then they don’t have the look of this kettle maybe that is what you pay for because it’s certainly not it’s performance.

This review may be posted on other sites under the same user name

• StazKilly published 19/06/2012
    hate leaky kettles! x
  • Jake_Speed published 05/06/2012
    An excellent concise review.
  • torr published 02/06/2012
    Well reviewed. You can see from the pic that the spout's not designed for pouring. There are teapots and jugs with the same obvious design fault. One wonders whether the makers have ever tried pouring from their own products.