Trilobite! Eyewitness to Evolution - Richard Fortey

Trilobite! Eyewitness to Evolution - Richard Fortey

Non-Fiction - Nature - ISBN: 0006551386

Review of "Trilobite! Eyewitness to Evolution - Richard Fortey"

published 30/10/2015 | JRCarter
Member since : 29/06/2015
Two uni reports finished and submitted, only one left to go! And on another note, i'm very close to an orange dot, lets just hope Ciao lasts long enough for me to reach it!
Pro Intersting, Informative, cheap
Cons none
Degree of Information
How easy was it to read / get information from
How interesting was the book?
How useful was it?
Would you read it again?

"An entire book devoted to a creature that went extinct 260mya?!"

Introduction

Since beginning my university studies I have been introduced to a range of topics, one of my favourite being palaeontology. While studying palaeontology, I was introduced to the incredible creature known as the Trilobite, which I have since become very interested in; hence my reading of this book. I bought this book, written by world renowned trilobitologist, Richard Fortey, for the brilliant price of £2.50. It was exactly what I wanted in a book devoted to one specific animal; a passionate, informative and incredibly interesting read - rather than the standard, mundane textbook. The fact this book took me little over a week to read, should give you an idea of its quality, and just how much it captivated me. '_Trilobite_' gives the reader an excellent insight into the life of one of the most successful and amazing creatures that ever existed on this planet, as well as an insight into the life of a brilliant scientist, who devoted his entire life's work to this little creature.
Degree of Information

As I said in the introduction, this book is not a textbook and therefore, is not written for the purpose of conveying a great amount of information/ facts. It is written more like a story, as Fortey recounts how he came to know and love Trilobites, and tells of his many adventures and discoveries, as well as those of other scientists in the same field. However, through his stories and explanations, Fortey informs the reader greatly on the evolution, life and morphology of the trilobite, explaining in great detail the fascinating inner workings of the trilobites eyes, for example, as well as how the major discoveries were made. While reading this book, I made three pages of notes, all relevant to understanding this amazing creature, how it lived, and how it changed over the millions and millions of years it existed. This book has, without a doubt, greatly increased my knowledge, understanding and passion for this specific creature, without boring me half to death like the majority of university textbooks.
Price

This book is rather short, consisting of only 257 pages, but for £2.50 I really cannot complain. The price of most university-related books can reach £80, so this was most certainly a bargain! It can be found on eBay and amazon for similar prices, and I certainly recommend it to anyone that wishes to learn a great deal about an incredible, ancient creature that often goes unheard of.
The Book

The book consists of ten fascinating chapters, each devoted to a different aspect of the trilobite:
- Chapter 1: Discovery
- Chapter 7: A Matter Of Life and Death
- Chapter 8: Possible Worlds
- Chapter 9: Time
- Chapter 10: Eyes to Sea

The titles of the individual chapters should tell you all you need to know about what you can expect from each section of this book. the facts and information are written in a descriptive, interesting, almost novelistic fashion that brilliant conveys Fortey's passion for the subject matter. It is this style of writing that makes this book so readable and, for me, captivating. Also included are two sections of pictures, which are referred to in the text. This allows the reader to see exactly what is described, making the harder to picture elements much easier to understand. Included in these scientific pictures are some fascinating images of the rarer, more bizarre trilobite species that existed.

This book has made me more familiar with this extinct species, than I am with most current living species. Since reading it, I half expect to see one of these interesting little bugs crawling about when I visit the beach! If you are someone interested in the geological past of our planet and animals I strongly recommend this book. It will give you a better insight into the life and incredible importance of this creature, than any textbook I have ever read.

• justarube published 21/09/2016
    VH
  • lozzywallace published 10/05/2016
    vh
  • mikemelmak published 18/11/2015
    An expert review for the non-specialist!