Tritton Kama Headset

Review of "Tritton Kama Headset"

published 04/08/2015 | JRCarter
Member since : 29/06/2015
Two uni reports finished and submitted, only one left to go! And on another note, i'm very close to an orange dot, lets just hope Ciao lasts long enough for me to reach it!
Pro Cheap, Good quality, Easy to use, Comfortable, Durable
Cons can get uncomfortable after very long periods of gaming, not exceptional sound quality
Sound & Volume
Durability & Robustness

"A good quality headset for the PS4...at a reasonable price?!"

Introduction

Over the years I've owned a number of games consoles, like the Xbox 360 and Sony Playstation 3, and therefore, I've had my fair share of experience with gaming headsets like this; the Tritton Kama headset. Unfortunately, the price of these consoles has been so high, I have always been forced to buy the cheapest headset I could. What I loved about this headset, is that although it is designed specifically for the new Sony Playstation 4 (a console that costs ~£300), the headset itself is only £20. This is a great price when compared to many gaming headsets; that can range in price from £15 to £150+.

I personally never purchased this product for myself, as I don't own a Playstation 4, but I was present when my roommate bought this product and I have had hours and hours of use with it since. Absolutely no research or planning went into the purchase of this headset, instead it was an impulse buy in HMV when we saw the very reasonable, low price.

Gaming Headsets??

For those of you who are unfamiliar with headsets and there purpose within gaming, I will briefly explain. A headset can have many functions, but it is primarily used for listening to in-game sounds/ noises (so it doesn't play out loud) and to talk to people using the Mic. Whether you hear the in game sounds or voices of other people speaking or both is up to you, and can be changed in the settings on the console. Many people that are very passionate about gaming spend very large amounts of money on headsets (like Turtlebeach products), as they provide very high quality, in-game surround sound which can boost your performance in the game. This headset is a very cheap, simple headset that provides pretty good quality sound and does everything you need a £20 headset to do.

The Product

The Tritton Kama is designed exclusively for the Sony Playstation 4 and PS Vita (You'd need additional adapters to connect it to any other system) and connects directly to the Playstation controller (something my PS3 headsets could not do). When we first set up this headset it could not have been any simpler. You plug the single cable into the controller and the mic and audio become fully functional. The mic is flexible, allowing you to position it exactly where you want it; which is something cheaper headsets often cant do (from my experience). Like the majority of gaming headsets, there is a volume control on the wire connecting the headset to the controller. As well as this volume control there is also a little switch, which allows you to mute/ un-mute the mic whenever you want; which has proved very useful when I wanted to say something to my roommate and not to the other people I was playing the online game with!

Having only every owned very cheap headsets, i have always had issues with the comfort. After an hour or more of wearing it, i would always feel discomfort, whether it was too much pressure, not enough padding..there was always something. The Tritton Kama isn't incredibly comfortable, but for a £20 headset, it is very good. It has a good amount of padding on the headband and the ear pieces, both of which are adjustable; the ear pieces can be rotated as well as extended. This resulted in a pretty comfortable product, although I never wore it for more than ~40 mins before giving it to someone else. One issue my roommate had with the comfort after a long period of time wearing the headset, was the plastic parts of the headband (the bits not covered in padding) digging into his head. Whether this is poor design of the product, or my roommate having an oddly shaped head I don't know! From my experience, the comfort is better than expected considering the price, and certainly suitable for casual gamers. Whether the Tritton Kama is suitable for 'hardcore' gamers I cant say, but I personally would suggest a more expensive headset.

Using the Product

During my first year at university I was lucky enough to have one of the only flats with a lounge. I decided to put my 40-inch TV in there and my flatmate put his PS4 in the lounge as well. Over the last year we have spent many an evening in that lounge, and many many hours on the Playstation 4 using this headset to either annoy fellow game players, or listen to the game sounds as to not disturb any sleeping flatmates. I have to say, for a £20 headset it has done very well. Not only has it lasted the entire year, and endured being dropped, thrown and fought over by drunk students, it has delivered on all its promises and fulfilled its job as a headset.

From my experience, this is more than can be said for many cheap headsets. When I owned an Xbox 360, I had at least 5 different headsets over the 2 years I owned the console, all of which cost £12-15. This headset however, has not broken, fallen apart on functioned unsatisfying whatsoever. It is relatively comfortable to wear and very easy to use. Simply plug the 3.5mm jack into the controller, change the Playstation's settings if necessary, and away you go. I never had a problem with the sound quality or the mic quality or the comfort, it was everything I (and my roommate) wanted in a headset .

Durability and Robustness

As I already mentioned, this product has endured a great deal of hardship over the past year and still works exactly as it should. It is for that reason that I cannot fault the durability. It doesn't feel especially durable, nor does it feel surprisingly weak. It is all plastic and material, but has withstood the test of time, and many drunk university students!

Sound and Volume

The sound quality is not amazing, but we never expected it to be. II have no complaints about the quality of the sound, it is clear and certainly goes loud enough. It is like buying a cheap pair of headphones. The quality obviously doesn't match that of a far more expensive product, but it does the job. This headset also has volume controls on the wire connecting the earphones to the controller, allowing you to quickly and easily change the volume to your liking.

This headset really is excellent value for money as far as headsets go. The durability, smart design, and overall good quality of the product make it a great bargain. As I already mentioned, many headsets at such a low price just do not last or perform to a satisfactory quality. I found the Tritton Kama to not only be of better quality, but more comfortable than other headsets I've owned/ worn that are of a similar price. I'm not saying this headset is incredible, or can match the quality/ performance of the more expensive brands/ models, but for £20 it is a great product.

Final Comments

For £20 this headset excelled. However, it is not amazing, it does only work effectively with the Playstation 4, the sound quality is good but not amazing and the comfort is fine for casual players who don't spend hours and hours at a time wearing it. If your'e looking for a cheap, decent headset then I would strongly recommend this product. Its nice to see a good quality product for such an expensive games console at such a reasonable price.

**Edit**
Spent the weekend at my flatmates house, and unfortunately I learned he had broken his Tritton Kama headset, as it was now covered in duct tape. According to him, it broke of its own accord. He was 'apparently' just putting it on his head as he does most days and it snapped above one ear piece. The electrical wiring is fie and we were still able to use the headset, but it had to be covered in duct tape to hold it all together. Whether this headset is just not as durable as it seems, or if it breaking was due to misuse/ human error I do not know for sure, but it is for this breakage that I have lowered the durability to 3 out of 5.

• jules.34 published 02/09/2015