Tusa Platina Hyperdry Snorkel

Tusa Platina Hyperdry Snorkel

Scuba Snorkels

Review of "Tusa Platina Hyperdry Snorkel"

published 19/11/2010 | sbeach000
Member since : 05/10/2010
A little break has turned into a rather long one! Hope to be back soon :) x
Pro comfortable mouthpeice and fit, looks good, keeps water out
Cons purge valve is next to useless under water
How does it compare to similar products?

"Keeps water out... (well, most of the time!)"

Tusa have a great reputation for producing quality dive and snorkel equipment, and this snorkel is no exception, (well, apart from one thing - more on that later!).

Price and availability

The Tusa Platina II Hyperdry is one of the slightly more expensive snorkels available these days. It's been around for four years but doesn't seem to be coming down in price much - which in my opinion is a sign of a product that is able to compete well with newer technology. I purchased mine from mikes Dive Store, but they are also available from Simply Scuba and the majority of other online dive or snorkel shops. I've seen them on the shelf of my tiny local dive shop so I'd say with confidence they'll be available in-store somewhere nearby too.

The snorkel retails for £25 -£30, but hunting around online I've seen it for as low as £20 (Mikes Dive Store), which is the price I paid 3 years ago.

The look

The Tusa Platina II Hyperdry comes in 10 different colour combinations. And ladies... some of them are 'sparkly'(!). How lovely. I chose the all black one as I was going for something of a James Bond-esque look back in those days (this was before I realised that actually having highly visible snorkel and scuba gear would do me many more favours!). I was somewhat disappointed to find that it came with a non-removable bright orange top, as oppose to the transparent one shown in the store picture. Apparently this is an EU regulation and all of these snorkels sold in the UK have to be fitted with the high visibility orange version. Something to bear in mind if you're a little picky about colour matching like me.

Effectiveness

The top end of this snorkel is curved at just the right angle so that it pokes straight up out of the water, when you are face down. I know this may sound like a pretty obvious design choice, but unfortunately having tried many other snorkels over the years I've found that it's not always the case. Even in large waves I've found that this snorkel doesn't let in water, and I think this must be down to the curved design. That horrible orange top and the slanted end to the tube also help avoid splashes finding their way into the snorkel. The only time I've found myself needing to purge this snorkel is when in my absentmindedness I dip my head too far forward.

On these occasions I've found the purge is impossible to use whilst underwater. This snorkel is designed to be able to purge underwater, as Tusa state 'the air bubbles will pass to the side of your face'. However no amount of huffing and puffing seems to clear this thing of water once it's in there. The only way of doing so is lifting my head out of the water - thereby pointing the snorkel horizontally (and subsequently losing sight of the fish I've been painstakingly following with my slate and stopwatch - very annoying!). Perhaps I have particularly feeble lungs, I can't be certain because I don't know of anyone else's experiences with this snorkel. If it wasn't for the fact that this snorkel only floods very occasionally, I think I would have upgraded to one with a better purge valve already.

The snorkel has a crystal silicone flexible neck, which is positioned very closely to the mask attachment. This means that it moulds completely to the side of my face. This is great for reducing drag whilst snorkelling. There is no annoying tugging from the ocean with this snorkel. This also helps when you're wearing this diving. I don't even notice that it's there when it's attached to my mask but not in use.

Furthermore the mask is attached with an easily adjustable (and removable) clip. This has two settings depending on the size of your head (or to be more specific the distance from your mouth to where the mask strap attachment lies). This is a great feature that means you're guaranteed to find a fit that suits you. The clip is in two parts - one that attaches to the mask and the other to the snorkel. This means you can simply unclick the snorkel in one easy motion when necessary, rather than faff around undoing the straps on your mask.

Additionally the mouthpiece is very soft and a decent size. No water ever comes in through the mouthpiece seals on this. I have to say I'm always left with a terrible headache after using this snorkelling. That's entirely my fault though - as I tend to grip the mouthpiece too hard, resulting in jaw fatigue. I know this is no fault of Tusa, as when I remind myself to relax I find the snorkel mouthpiece still seals fine and doesn't let in water. Overall I find this snorkel very comfortable to use.

As with most of my other dive equipment I've used this snorkel on over 100 dives and many more snorkels. I don't rinse it and it is left in the sun to dry. However, it's still as black as ever and the plastic is showing no signs of wear and tear. The mouthpiece is all intact, which considering how much I unintentionally gnaw on it, is pretty good going.

Recommendations

This snorkel comes with a good four star recommendation from me. I've knocked one star off for the weak purge valve. It would have been more was it not for the fact that this snorkel has lived up to its 'Hyperdry' promise and doesn't let in water even in choppy seas, so a purge valve is fairly extraneous anyway.

This snorkel is lightweight and fully foldable so I'd specifically recommend it to anyone who dives and wants a snorkel to store in their pocket.

Overall

A decent snorkel, with a big flaw -- but not one that should affect matters too much.

• Dentolux published 29/01/2011
    What is the world coming to. First sparkly vampires and now sparkly snorkels!
  • j9j8j7 published 29/12/2010
    Another exceptional review- makes me want to go to the tropics (or maybe it's because of all this cold weather we've been having).
  • karalouk published 16/12/2010
    I'd love to snorkel but I have a 'thing' about fish that I need to overcome first! Great review.

Product Information : Tusa Platina Hyperdry Snorkel