Review of "Tyrozets"

published 14/11/2010 | tecnomars
Member since : 01/11/2006
Thankyou to everyone for making me feel welcome and for rating my reviews. I also post regularly on dooyoo as ms_123.
Pro Numbs your throat
Cons Numbs the rest of your mouth too! Effects don't last the full 3 hours
Side effects
Effectiveness

"Banish that sore throat!"

If you’ve read my previous review you’ll know that I have been suffering from a cold this week. It started off with a sore throat on Tuesday, which then progressed to a full-blown cold. After my not so successful experience with Halls Soothers, which did nothing to soothe my aching throat I was looking for something a little stronger. My younger sister swears by Tyrozets when she has a sore throat and so I headed over to Tesco to hunt them down.

Tyrozets are throat lozenges, made by Merck, that are available behind the counter. They come in a distinctive red and orange coloured box and are priced at £2.73 for 24 lozenges that I thought resembled the fire burning in my throat! As I’d never tried these before I read the box before parting with my cash and learnt that the lozenges contain an anaesthetic to quickly numb throat pain and an antibiotic to fight throat infection. They sounded exactly what I needed and I thought they would pack a much bigger punch than the soothers.

Opening the box I was intrigued to see two little plastic tubes, the size of my middle finger, also coloured orange, which contained the lozenges (12 in each). I thought the packaging was a little unusual but it had caught my curiosity. Each tube also has instructions/warnings printed on it so you can carry these around without the outer packaging. At the top of the tube is a white plastic lid, which has to be pulled at to get to the lozenges. I must admit I found this a bit of a struggle to open but this perhaps is no bad thing as it probably means it’s child-safe!

Before taking new medication I always read the enclosed instructions leaflet. The leaflet is clear and easy to understand. I learnt that Tyrozets is a medicine which is used to relieve minor mouth and throat irritations. It may also be taken after mouth or throat surgery, for example when you have your tonsils taken out (I could have done with these at the time!)

The lozenges contain two active ingredients:
-Tyrothricin, which is an antibiotic that helps fight throat infection
-Benzocaine, which is a local anaesthetic that numbs throat pain quickly

The lozenges are small discs that look rather like fizzy sweets such as Refreshers. To take you just dissolve one in your mouth where the active ingredients are gradually released which then reaches the painful throat area at the back of the mouth. I popped one of these in my mouth and was pleasantly surprised by a mild aniseed flavour. These work extremely fast and within seconds I could feel my mouth and tongue going numb. It was an odd sensation and not one I liked at first. As I swallowed the liquid hit my throat and bliss! My throat, which felt like it had been scraped with sandpaper was numbed and the pain was gone! This numbness was long-lasting, providing a couple of hours relief. After taking these for a couple of days my throat is practically back to normal – still a little itchy, but certainly not painful.

You are advised to leave at least 3 hours before doses and not to exceed 8 lozenges in a 24 hour period. As I said above the effects of these lozenges are long-lasting, though not quite the 3 hour period, so there may be some discomfort to put up with before the next lozenge can be taken. The product should also not be used consecutively for longer than 5 days. Tyrozets are suitable for adults and children over three years, though children should not exceed 6 lozenges in 24 hours.

Like all medication there are possible side-effects to taking Tyrozets, and I would advise reading the leaflet carefully before taking these. You are also advised to speak to a doctor or pharmacist before taking this medicine if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. As the lozenges also contain sucrose this should be taken into account if you are diabetic.

Overall I am super impressed with these! They worked rapidly to numb the pain in my throat and the effects were long-lasting, leaving me able to get on with the rest of my day normally. The only minor bug-bear is that I didn’t particularly like the numbness in my mouth and tongue but I guess this cannot be avoided and is worth enduring for the relief brought to my throat. Highly recommended!

This review was read 1918 times and was rated at

• daniella2010 published 14/11/2010
    I've not heard of these - nicely reviewed
  • Cutecandy published 14/11/2010
    Could really do with trying one of these right now! Well reviewed!
  • jedimastergray73 published 14/11/2010