Review of "Tyrozets"

published 02/03/2012 | danielclark691
Member since : 27/02/2011
Reviews : 2093
Happy birthday to me.
Pro Fast acting, numbing sensation calms sore throats, affordable.
Cons Aniseed flavour may not appeal to everyone.
Side effects
Effectiveness

"Hypnotise that sore throat."

Tyrozets

Tyrozets

The product and the claim

Tyrozets are a product I have been using for a while now after advice from my local chemist. Tyrozets provide rapid relief for sore throats and infections in two ways. An antibiotic in Tyrozets helps fight throat infection, with an anaesthetic quickly numbing a sore throat. Tyrozets are a medicine I came across by chance and upon a recommendation from a professional. I suppose you could say they are a secret cure to your sore throat. Having tried most of the Strepsils range and other branded throat relievers I were a little sceptical that Benzocaine and Tyrothricin would solve my woes.

Appearance

Tyrozets are packaged uniquely, as they come in a bright red and orange rectangular box which contains two hard plastic tubes. These orange tubes have a white cap which holds 12 lozenges.I think this is a great idea for storing the product, as they can easily be slipped into a pocket. Upon opening the tube you are presented with a strong whiff of aniseed. I love aniseed, so this isn't unwelcome, though if you are not too keen on the smell then this may put you off them as the flavour is also quite aniseedy. The lozenges are quite chalky in feel and they are a subtle pink colour.

The rectangular box is quite small, so it is compact enough to carry with you or simply just carry one of the two tubes of lozenges. There are 24 lozenges in total, so this should last 3 days if you take the maximum dosage. All the relevant information is written on the box and on the plastic tubes, but a more comprehensive content is given on the supplied directions and advice leaflet.

Directions

The instructions suggest you should dissolve one lozenge in your mouth every three hours. No more than 8 lozenges must be consumed in a 24 hour period and these instructions are for adults. Children over 3 should take no more than 6 lozenges over the same period.

Results

Well, I expected the anaesthetic to be very mild and almost unnoticeable, how wrong was I! You won't find your tongue lolling around at the back of your throat, but the numbing sensation is quite apparent. By sucking the lozenge slowly the anaesthetic will take affect on the back of your throat as you swollow. The warming numbing sensation is quite relaxing, and takes away the pain of a sore throat. I find that i don't cough half as much whilst using the lozenges, and the anaesthetic effect remains for around half an hour or so after finishing the lozenge. The strong aniseed aroma and flavour may be offputting for some, but I love it! It is worth remembering that these are not sweets! The flavour may be strong, but it isn't intrusive or harsh.

Tyrozets are sold as offering 'rapid relief' and I wouldn't argue with this claim. Not only are my sore throats and infections subdued at the time of sucking the lozenge, they are also banished promptly. In a way this is a shame as I enjoy Tyrozets - I can imagine it would be very easy to become addicted to them. To combat this I bought a quarter of aniseed balls in my local Ye Olde sweet shop.

Ingredients, manufacturer and availability

The active ingredients in Tyrozets are 1mg Tyrothricin and 5mg Benzocaine. The other ingredients are Acacia, magnesium stearate, maize starch, sodium chloride, sucrose, anethole, erythrosine(E127) and peppermint oil.

McNeil Products Limited are the Marketing Authorisation Holder. McNeil Healthcare(Ireland) Limited are the Product Authorisation Holder. Tyrozets are manufactured by Lusomedicamenta who are a Portuguese based company.
Price and availability

Tyrozets are available in your local chemist and looking at the price tag I paid £2.99 for 24 lozenges. I believe they are only available in the one size, though this is perfect really.

Final thoughts

I always have a pack to hand as I find their rapid relief of sore throats to be very comforting. The dual action relief given to sore or infected throats is quite unique. The comfort that the numbing sensation offers is most relaxing and I am so glad I stumbled upon this product due to a recommendation. Though the aniseed smell and taste may not suit everyone, I am sure everyone who has tried them will agree that they hit the spot.

• jjcross published 02/03/2012
    I think I have seen these in Waitrose before.
  • danielclark691 published 02/03/2012
    Edith, you are likely to have to ask for them at your local chemist.
  • randy_edith published 02/03/2012
    I don't think I've ever seen these ones before