Ultrasonex Phaser Toothbrush

Ultrasonex Phaser Toothbrush

Review of "Ultrasonex Phaser Toothbrush"

published 04/07/2005 | amason27
Member since : 04/07/2005
Pro It really works
Cons Price, especially when buying for a household
Ease of Use
Improvement on Teeth Condition

"The answer to my prayers"

I had terrible gum disease and advancing recession when I invested in this toothbrush. Most dentists' answer to this condition is more frequent hygienist visits; but as anyone with a serious problem knows, with the use of conventional or electric toothbrushes, even two-monthly descales give relief for only about a week before the bleeding returns. In my case, the issue was forced due to a chemical allergy which has recently become life-threatening; a visit to a dentist or hygienist is now all but impossible. This is relevant to others because I can confidently report that I have not only substituted, but bettered, hygienist treatment of the condition with this product.

I'd read about sonic toothbrushes for some time but, being financially challenged, hadn't taken the plunge. I had a Braun electric which kept the actual teeth nice and clean but did nothing to stop the bleeding or reduce the inflammation of periodontal disease. Use of floss and interdental brushes didn't help too much.

I chose the Ultrasonex because I hadn't been happy with my two Braun electrics - either the performance or the charging capacity - and didn't particularly trust that their sonic would be any more robust. The Ultrasonex cost me £99, 18 months ago, from Pharmacy2U (online shop). Within a month of using it, my condition was completely turned around. I am amazed to be able to report that I have, since, had no bleeding, no inflammation, no fear of losing teeth and - as a bonus - no staining. I have bought replacement heads from Amazon.co.uk for £9.99 for 3. The brush takes some getting used to, but I found the instructions to be precise and easy to follow. I've also found that the gentle action prevents further gum damage which, in common with many people with bleeding (according to my old hygienist), I used to inflict by over-zealous manual brushing.

I have no complaints about the charging capacity or the charger itself; it's compact and the Nickel Metal Hydride battery does what it says, i.e. it never needs to be drained completely for full performance. As for longevity of charge, I've taken the toothbrush on a two-week trip without the charger and experienced no appreciable loss of power. I've never let it run down, so have no clue how long it would take to charge from scratch; when I received it, it was already adequately charged, which probably says a lot in itself. I live in France, but I believe the plug will fit a UK shaver point; for myself, it's no inconvenience to leave it in the passage outside the bathroom.

On the downside, this is a particularly large brush for a small mouth and the non-interchangeabilty of the heads is an unavoidable pain and expense. It has an automatic timer which indicates the duration of cleaning for each part of the mouth, but the two-speed element (I only use full power) means that, if you want to stop the brush to rinse it, for example, it first reverts to low speed rather than stopping outright. However, these are minor points.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this toothbrush. For those with no gum trouble, it might be a pricey option (a standard electric may well suffice), but other reviewers have seemed to ignore the real point of oral hygiene at this level; this is no cosmetic device but a really good, dare I say, alternative to dental care for those of us for whom that is no longer available or for whom it's not working as it should.

[edited to take into account several comments/queries]

• tennisnut published 07/08/2005
    I'm thinking about getting something like this and found your review interesting and helpful. I'll have to investigate prices though - sounds pretty expensive, but I would like to keep my teeth for as long as pos! Gill :-)
  • AJ26 published 06/08/2005
    Good review, does seem expensive for a toothbrush but I guess if you value your teeth then it might be worth it.
  • electricfrog5 published 05/08/2005
    Great review, thanks for all the info. L xx